Author Topic: Anyone here ever been to Frankfurt Germany?  (Read 12462 times)

Re: Anyone here ever been to Frankfurt Germany?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I was stationed in Germany for 2 years in the late 70's.

Nothing wrong with Frankfurt, but it wouldn't be my first choice for vacation.  Kind of a bland, color-me-gray commercial city.

If you have time to change your plans, I would highly recommend Stuttgart.  It is often overlooked by tourists, but has lots to see and do.  It is smaller in scale,much like Boston, and is a very inviting walking city with excellent public transit.  World-class zoo, good museums, night life, parks, cafes, local and international cuisine and riverside activities on the Neckar.  The surrounding countyside has lots of scenic towns with castle ruins, history, farmland and charm. Easy to visit local markets, shops and gasthaeusen.  Some of the best regional beers and wines as well. 

If you are staying a while, perfectly situated as a base for day trips.  Zurich, the Black Forest, Strasbourg, France across the Rhine, Munich and much more all two hours or less away.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »

Offline KevinConnor

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
Does it have to be Germany? Otherwise you could try Amsterdam in the Netherlands or Antwerp in Belgium. Both are very nice cities with great nightlife! Especially Antwerp is closeby.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
(and Das Autobahn, of course! ;)).

That's "die Autobahn", actually.

Frankfurt is a pretty generic western European city; a financial center. Would you spend vacation time on Wall Street? There are, in my opinion, some more interesting cities not too far away. For instance, Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Koblenz.

And if you drive on "die Autobahn", don't believe the hype about there being no speed limits anywhere. It's true for a more than half of the Autobahn system, but there are in fact speed limits on many stretches, especially in and near cities. Learn to read the speed limit signs, and how to tell when there's no legal speed limit.

In any German city, be sure to check out the city's LOCAL beer, rather than the mass-produced brands from other cities. I think you'll be pleased.

Gute Reise!

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 03:19:27 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This was all helpful to me yesterday thank you