Author Topic: I don't think we're giving the Knicks enough credit/respect  (Read 16401 times)

I don't think we're giving the Knicks enough credit/respect
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
I understand that we're the better team and that we should win these games. But a lot of people seem to be talking about them like they are a d-league team. Melo is an amazing player, Turiaf is flat-out better than BBD, Amare is a great player, so is Chauncy. They got a couple of guys on thier team I would gladly trade plenty of our guys for. Landry Fields is also pretty good i've always liked him.

Now don't get me wrong i'm not trying to over-estimate the Knicks, like I said we should be winning these games but I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to compete with us. We didnt just get lucky by beating them, the first 2 games of this series ended on perfect executions of perfect plays and extreme defensive hustle, awareness and intensity.

Call me crazy but I can live with that. And I also have some respect for the knicks, sue me.

P.S. Yes I know Chauncy didn't play yesterday and Amare left early but when you're in the playoffs and one or two of your guys go down it's just going to elevate the game of everyone else on the team. Knicks are playing with a ton of heart right now
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

Re: I don't think we're giving the Knicks enough credit/respect
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree.  The Knicks played with an intensity that you rarely see last night, and Carmelo in particular was just on another level, and hit many difficult shots in very tight coverage.

Yes, the C's still have work to do, but that was not some lottery team they were playing last night.  I think the way the Knicks played that game, they could have given any team in the league trouble.

I also think we haven't seen the best of the Knicks.  This team may be flawed, but they still have a couple great players, and a bunch of guys who are willing to do the dirty work.  In MSG, where the atmosphere is going to be absolutely off the charts, the C's are going to have their hands full, no matter how well they play. 

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
I agree.  The Knicks played with an intensity that you rarely see last night, and Carmelo in particular was just on another level, and hit many difficult shots in very tight coverage.

Yes, the C's still have work to do, but that was not some lottery team they were playing last night.  I think the way the Knicks played that game, they could have given any team in the league trouble.

I also think we haven't seen the best of the Knicks.  This team may be flawed, but they still have a couple great players, and a bunch of guys who are willing to do the dirty work.  In MSG, where the atmosphere is going to be absolutely off the charts, the C's are going to have their hands full, no matter how well they play. 
Yea you cant say that they "would have won" but they have made some serious mental errors late in games, it's not a matter of physical talent or ability. If they had a better coach and 1 or 2 better bench players they could make some serious waves imo.
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
I mean heck, didn't the Hawks take us to 7 games in 08'?

Playoff basketball is different, and the lower seeds always play better in the playoffs than they do in the regular season. It's no surprise to me that this Knicks team is staying in the games with us. I think we're going to win game three and hopefully then some of the doubters will be humbled.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Agreed.

When I saw the moves NY were making, I thought of it as being somewhat similar to the moves we made in 07-08, in that NY was able to pry one key piece away from DEN besides Melo - and that was Chauncey. I saw him as the glue and a very good PG even at this age.

NY is certainly a team to be reckoned with and I'm thankful that we do have 2-0 against them. Fri and Sun will be tough, but I think we can get one.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
P.S. Yes I know Chauncy didn't play yesterday and Amare left early but when you're in the playoffs and one or two of your guys go down it's just going to elevate the game of everyone else on the team. Knicks are playing with a ton of heart right now

I was thinking this very thing last night during and after the game. Even weaker teams can come out on fire and play well for a night-see our loss to the Cavs at the beginning of the season.

If CB and Amare are still out, I don't expect them to be able to keep that level of intensity up.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
It'd be a lot easier to respect them if the networks weren't captioning that racist mascot every time somebody makes a freaking basket.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum

I was thinking this very thing last night during and after the game. Even weaker teams can come out on fire and play well for a night-see our loss to the Cavs at the beginning of the season.

If CB and Amare are still out, I don't expect them to be able to keep that level of intensity up.
Yea I dont think they would do well next game if chauncy and amare were still out, but last night I could buy that it fueled the guys on the other team to try harder.

We will win in 4-5 games

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
It'd be a lot easier to respect them if the networks weren't captioning that racist mascot every time somebody makes a freaking basket.
haha touche

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

they are going to play with even more heart at home in NY, so we have to match their intensity for at least one game out of the next 2

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »

Offline Jim on MV

• Svi Mykhailiuk
The Knicks have some talent, but they only stay with the Cs because a) the Cs bench has been atrocious, b) they create match-up problems when they go small (last night Rondo and BBD both picked up 'Melo at times), and c) they got a crazy-good game from Amare in G1 and 'Melo in G2.

The Cs should be hammering these guys.  Yes the Hawks took them to 7 in '08, but the Cs 4 wins were by 100 points combined; the losses were by a total of 17.  The Knicks have just taken advantage of the Cs continuing inconsistency.

I never knew being up 2-0 could feel so crappy.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i honestly think the Celtics aren't giving the knicks much seriousness...they know they can fool around and still win this series
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:01:09 PM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
They don't really deserve it.  They can put points on the board but have one of the worst defenses in the league.  We should be scoring on these guys no problem.

They're about your average lower seed.  We need to be more focused on 1 and 2.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
its the playoffs and nobody wants to go home...heck, the Pacers have given the Bulls a run for their money and they dont have stars on their team anywhere close to Melo/Stoudemire

were basically facing miami of last year if miami had another go to guy besides wade...we already weathered great individual performances from Melo and stoudemire. Hopefully we can continue to do so...and they wont have as great games.

also

1. our bench isnt performing
2. we arent rebounding as well

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I think it says more about us we have been bad. If we play this way against Miami or even Chicago we'll be blown out.

I mean we have still not got KG established in the post or really got Ray going yet despite some big shots he hit. We won't go far this way.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk