Author Topic: Sad Brandon Roy Quote  (Read 13729 times)

Sad Brandon Roy Quote
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Quote from: Oregon Live
“There was a point in the first half, and I was thinking 'You better not cry,''' Roy said. “I mean, serious. I mean, there was a moment where I felt really sorry for myself. Then I was like, nah, you can't be sorry for yourself. I'm a grown man, but there was a moment there that I felt sorry for myself. Especially when I think I can still help.''

“I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hurt, or disappointed,'' Roy said. “But the biggest thing is to keep moving, to try and keep my spirits up. But it's tough man. I just …. I just always thought I would be treated better. That was a little disappointing for me.''

“I think my nature I've never been one to confront. Never been the one to create controversy,'' Roy said. “I think coach is comfortable with his guys and it's hard for him to get me back in there. If that's what he is comfortable with, then I'm going to try and support the team. And if he can get us past (the first round), then he can. I just always thought I would be treated a little better, but … it is what it is. I'll be all right. I'll go home see my kids, and be happy.''

Man that stinks. Just a player robbed in his prime.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:49:44 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Sad Brandon Roy Quote
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:28 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I feel for the kid.  He and Greg Oden.  What a shame. :(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Yup, always appeared to be a class act who played the game the right way. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It always seems worse than it is when you're going through it.

I still believe Roy has a chance to reclaim his game...he's just going to have to work even harder than he has ever worked before.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Yeah, too bad man.  His game reminded me a lot of Pierce's.  I was looking forward to watching him have a long exciting career.  Definitely a shame.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yup, always appeared to be a class act who played the game the right way. 

He played the game the right way, but I think he has always had some diva in him, and this is another case.

He made a lot of noise last year when they brought in Andre Miller, because it meant he couldn't control the ball all the time, to the point where there were reports of him trying to push Miller out of town.

And now, he is complaining about being benched when he has been completely useless, and a major liability when he has been on the floor.

It certainly is an unfortunate situation, but at this point I don't have a ton of sympathy for the guy. 

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It is sad that he has had to deal with so many injuries, but I don't feel bad for him when he complains like this.  He is useless right now.  He shouldn't be out on the court for his team, and he shouldn't want to be if he wants them to win.  But I understand that it must be very frustrating and disheartening to realize that though he once could go out on the court on will his team to victory he is now nothing more than a liability when he's on the court.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
He shows no class here. He doesn't like confontations?I guess it's easier to have his coach read it somewhere. Pretty cowardly move. 

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I forget the exact specifics of the 2006 draft, but I remember that the Timberwolves had the 6th pick and really wanted Randy Foye... but for whatever reason they worked out a trade in advance where they'd take Brandon Roy 6th, Celtics would take Foye 7th... Celtics would trade Foye (and Raef's bad contract) to the Blazers for Sebastian Telfair (and Ratliff's key expiring contract that helped us land KG)...and then the Blazers would flip Foye to the Timberwolves for Brandon Roy....

I think the incentive for the Timberwolves to cooperate was that they got the guy they coveted (Randy Foye), but get to pay him a little less by having him selected 7th instead of 6th.  Basically their involvement was irrelevant.  They could have just taken Foye 6th. 

The trade really boiled down to Boston trading Brandon Roy and a bad contract for Telfair, a 2nd rounder, and an expiring contract.   

Couple thoughts:
#1 For a year or so before we understood how good Foye and Roy were, a few people on this forum would complain that we gave up Randy Foye for Sebastian Telfair.  Some people thought Foye was going to be a star.  Going into the draft he was considered to be a better prospect than Roy.  People who paid attention to the actual draft had to keep correcting these incorrect fans by saying, "For the love of god... we didn't give up Foye!  We gave up Brandon Roy. We only selected Foye 7th, because a trade was worked out in advance.  We NEVER had a chance at getting Foye.  Get it right!!!"...   

#2  Once Roy became a star, we'd have fans come on here saying, "I can't believe we gave up Brandon Roy for Sebastian Telfair"... which would then cause a bunch of (incorrect) fans to say, "uh... we didn't give up Roy.  He was drafted 6th.  We traded Randy Foye for Telfair!... get it right!... which was, in fact, wrong.   

#3 Over time... people finally accepted the reality... we certainly could have drafted Brandon Roy.  Had we not had a trade worked out in advance, the Timberwolves certainly would have taken Foye and Roy would have been ours at #7.  We absolutely traded Brandon Roy (and raef's bad contract) for Telfair (and the crucial Ratliff expiring contract).  This was now seen as a bad move considering we lucked into Rondo later in the draft and Telfair never amounted to crap.  Once this fact finally sunk in with the fan base, it was rationalized in two ways:  First, dumping Raef for Ratliff was key in landing KG.  Second, it had been said that Danny Ainge liked Roy, but didn't believe his knee would hold up.  Apparently, Ainge was deftly afraid of taking Roy, because he expected at any point his career would be over.  Fans scoffed at this.

#4 Not that I wish any harm on Roy or celebrate his downfall... but it's interesting to note that Danny Ainge was entirely right.  He didn't want Roy.  He didn't think he'd hold up.  He hasn't.   

#5 Funny to realize that Danny Ainge also supposedly was the only GM who would have taken Kevin Durant over Greg Oden... for many of the same reasons.

#6  Even more interesting to note... Ainge just traded Kendrick Perkins (who he doesn't think will hold up) for Jeff Green.  Seems stupid now, but will we eventually come to realize this was another intelligent move?

As of now... Roy will probably never be the same, but not bad enough to retire.  The Blazers are on the hook paying him 15-18 million per year through 2013/14.   Probably a risk they shouldn't have taken considering his knee issue.   Avoiding those kind of longterm contracts on injury-prone players is what causes a GM to dump a guy like Perk at the trade deadline for talent.   We probably could have given Perk a fat extension this summer... I dont' think Ainge wanted any part of that.

I bring all of this up, because it's just a perfect example of how perceptions change with time.  Unless Roy grows a new knee and wins multiple titles... looks like Ainge got this one right.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:21:11 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
By the end of his current contract, Roy will have made close to a $100 million.

Kind of hard to feel sorry for someone with that much cash and a family he obviously cherishes.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I forget the exact specifics of the 2006 draft, but I remember that the Timberwolves had the 6th pick and really wanted Randy Foye... but for whatever reason they worked out a trade in advance where they'd take Brandon Roy 6th, Celtics would take Foye 7th... Celtics would trade Foye (and Raef's bad contract) to the Blazers for Sebastian Telfair (and Ratliff's key expiring contract that helped us land KG)...and then the Blazers would flip Foye to the Timberwolves for Brandon Roy....

I think the incentive for the Timberwolves to cooperate was that they got the guy they coveted (Randy Foye), but get to pay him a little less by having him selected 7th instead of 6th.  Basically their involvement was irrelevant.  They could have just taken Foye 6th. 

The trade really boiled down to Boston trading Brandon Roy and a bad contract for Telfair, a 2nd rounder, and an expiring contract.   

Couple thoughts:
#1 For a year or so before we understood how good Foye and Roy were, a few people on this forum would complain that we gave up Randy Foye for Sebastian Telfair.  Some people thought Foye was going to be a star.  Going into the draft he was considered to be a better prospect than Roy.  People who paid attention to the actual draft had to keep correcting these incorrect fans by saying, "For the love of god... we didn't give up Foye!  We gave up Brandon Roy. We only selected Foye 7th, because a trade was worked out in advance.  We NEVER had a chance at getting Foye.  Get it right!!!"...   

#2  Once Roy became a star, we'd have fans come on here saying, "I can't believe we gave up Brandon Roy for Sebastian Telfair"... which would then cause a bunch of (incorrect) fans to say, "uh... we didn't give up Roy.  He was drafted 6th.  We traded Randy Foye for Telfair!... get it right!... which was, in fact, wrong.   

#3 Over time... people finally accepted the reality... we certainly could have drafted Brandon Roy.  Had we not had a trade worked out in advance, the Timberwolves certainly would have taken Foye and Roy would have been ours at #7.  We absolutely traded Brandon Roy (and raef's bad contract) for Telfair (and the crucial Ratliff expiring contract).  This was now seen as a bad move considering we lucked into Rondo later in the draft and Telfair never amounted to crap.  Once this fact finally sunk in with the fan base, it was rationalized in two ways:  First, dumping Raef for Ratliff was key in landing KG.  Second, it had been said that Danny Ainge liked Roy, but didn't believe his knee would hold up.  Apparently, Ainge was deftly afraid of taking Roy, because he expected at any point his career would be over.  Fans scoffed at this.

#4 Not that I wish any harm on Roy or celebrate his downfall... but it's interesting to note that Danny Ainge was entirely right.  He didn't want Roy.  He didn't think he'd hold up.  He hasn't.   

#5 Funny to realize that Danny Ainge also supposedly was the only GM who would have taken Kevin Durant over Greg Oden... for many of the same reasons.

#6  Even more interesting to note... Ainge just traded Kendrick Perkins (who he doesn't think will hold up) for Jeff Green.  Seems stupid now, but will we eventually come to realize this was another intelligent move?

As of now... Roy will probably never be the same, but not bad enough to retire.  The Blazers are on the hook paying him 15-18 million per year through 2013/14.   Probably a risk they shouldn't have taken considering his knee issue.   Avoiding those kind of longterm contracts on injury-prone players is what causes a GM to dump a guy like Perk at the trade deadline for talent.   We probably could have given Perk a fat extension this summer... I dont' think Ainge wanted any part of that.

I bring all of this up, because it's just a perfect example of how perceptions change with time.  Unless Roy grows a new knee and wins multiple titles... looks like Ainge got this one right.

TP, and I'd give you more if karma rules didn't prohibit it.
I've been waiting for someone to post more or less these thoughts on celticsblog.  There was a time when there was a ton of teeth gnashing over the lost opportunity of drafting B. Roy.  Not so much anymore....

B. Roy is a funny player, one a lot like Tracy McGrady*.  You get people saying stuff like "when he's healthy he's an All Star.  The thing is, such players are unhealthy so much of the time, that you have to weigh that against them. 

*sorry, I have a certain bone to pick when it comes to T-Mac.  I swear that 90% of celticsblog wanted to trade Pierce for T-Mac a few years ago. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
A couple years ago in an interview Penny Hardaway said that Brandon Roy's game reminded him of himself.... looks like that was a curse.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Portland should have traded Roy when his value was at top. He's a good player, but he demands the ball a lot, and now injuries have reduced his abilities.

What he tells to the press shows lack of compromise with the team. I don't think McMillan is a good coach, but he's doing the right thing with Roy. Roy needs to recover from his injuries to try to be the same player, or even a good player. Look at Grant Hill, and you'll realize there's a chance to rebuild a career if you take enough time. That's his chance, and he's crying over not being on the rotation... not very smart.

Roy needs to learn how to live without that big explosion, if he's patient he'll get his minutes. He's earning a big paycheck, and he should think about the team.

LarBrd33, TP for a great great post, and I agree Roy wouldn't fit in the Celtics style. In a few years, when he matures, he could be a great role player for a contender.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Good post overall, but much in the same way the "we gave up Randy Foye! Brandon Roy!" thing was a bit of a pet peeve of a lot of people, the "Danny would've selected Kevin Durant" myth is also false.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Portland should have traded Roy when his value was at top. He's a good player, but he demands the ball a lot, and now injuries have reduced his abilities.

What he tells to the press shows lack of compromise with the team. I don't think McMillan is a good coach, but he's doing the right thing with Roy. Roy needs to recover from his injuries to try to be the same player, or even a good player. Look at Grant Hill, and you'll realize there's a chance to rebuild a career if you take enough time. That's his chance, and he's crying over not being on the rotation... not very smart.

Roy needs to learn how to live without that big explosion, if he's patient he'll get his minutes. He's earning a big paycheck, and he should think about the team.

LarBrd33, TP for a great great post, and I agree Roy wouldn't fit in the Celtics style. In a few years, when he matures, he could be a great role player for a contender.
   Portland lost their starting center Greg Oden for the entire season.  They lost their back up center and their best player for a large part of the season in Camby and Roy.  La-Marcus Aldridge has developed into an all-star player this season.  The Trail Blazers went into the Play-offs as the 6th seed in the Western Conference.  McMillan should be in the running for coach of the year. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams