Author Topic: Pledge to boycott remakes here  (Read 11272 times)

Pledge to boycott remakes here
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just heard they're making Rise of Planet of the Apes and immediately said "There's no way I'm paying money for that after the butcher job they did last time"

and I got to thinking.

What movies if they remake them will I absolutely not watch?

Here's my list

The Godfather.

Star Wars....it must be associated with George Lucas.

The Magnificent 7

ET

Jaws

Hoosiers

Field of Dreams

Saving Private Ryan

Shindler's List

Kung Fu

Re: Pledge to boycott remakes here
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Animal House
Wizard of Oz (you know that ones coming sometime)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I will join you on Animal House....I didn't like PCU and don't want them to try again

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I felt that way about a couple of movies that aren't even that great, I just couldn't think of someone else as the lead.

Like, Conan for instance. Conan IS Arnie. The new Conan just doesn't look right, and it would be hard to buy into a reboot because he is so iconic. It'd be the same if they rebooted movies with an imbedded association with a specific actor like any of the Die Hard flicks, or Dirty Harry or DeathWish.

I agree with your list, with the exception of Star Wars. I always felt Empire was the best one and Lucas didn't write or direct it. Lucas pioneered a great franchise, but that doesn't mean he was the best choice to script it--it could have been a lot darker, with less attempts at cheesy hollywood humor. That may sound blasphemous to some, but look how great the Dark Knight turned out being a bit darker and more intense, despite a PG-13 rating.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:26:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I felt that way about a couple of movies that aren't even that great, I just couldn't think of someone else as the lead.

Like, Conan for instance. Conan IS Arnie. The new Conan just doesn't look right, and it would be hard to buy into a reboot because he is so iconic. It'd be the same if they rebooted movies with an imbedded association with a specific actor like any of the Die Hard flicks, or Dirty Harry or DeathWish.

I agree with your list, with the exception of Star Wars. I always felt Empire was the best one and Lucas didn't write or direct it. Lucas pioneered a great franchise, but that doesn't mean he was the best choice to script it--it could have been a lot darker, with less attempts a cheesy hollywood humor. That may sound blasphemous to some, but look how great the Dark Knight turned out being a bit darker and more intense, despite a PG-13 rating.
I actually meant the entire Star Wars franchise.....although I would be seriously tempted by some of the comic book stuff like Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic.  I'd probably crack and go watch that

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...

I agree with your list, with the exception of Star Wars. I always felt Empire was the best one and Lucas didn't write or direct it. Lucas pioneered a great franchise, but that doesn't mean he was the best choice to script it--it could have been a lot darker, with less attempts a cheesy hollywood humor. That may sound blasphemous to some, but look how great the Dark Knight turned out being a bit darker and more intense, despite a PG-13 rating.
I actually meant the entire Star Wars franchise.....although I would be seriously tempted by some of the comic book stuff like Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic.  I'd probably crack and go watch that
I also wasn't aware of the Rise of the Apes, and just watched the trailer. A really cool premise, but it's so overly CGI that it kinda turns me off. The original Planet movies were well done for the times, and the live action/make up looked pretty good and much more organic. It's hard to watch a movie that makes you aware that it's characters are computer generated. Like Avatar--it was awesome in IMAX 3-D, but I tried watching it again OnDemand, and the lack of 3-D let me focus more on the script/story and realized how awful and predictable the whole thing was. Also, the effects/CGI in 2-D is very ordinary.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Karate Kid . . . refuse to see the new one.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The Magnificent 7

This one is sort of funny, in that it's a remake itself.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Rocky
One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
Gone With The Wind
To Kill a Mockingbird
Citizen Kane

They aren't that I know of...hope they never do.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Braveheart
Taxi Driver

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The Boston Bruins (this same story has been remade for what, 30 years?)

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The Magnificent 7

This one is sort of funny, in that it's a remake itself.
No no no.  There is a difference between a remake and a plagiarism.  West Side Story. Plagiarism.    Willy Wonka with Johnny Depp.  Remake.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd add The Terminator to that list.  The franchise as it's progressed is one thing but there should be no remaking the original.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Brokeback Mountain

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline Yvette

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 115
I just don't get it in regards to movie remakes... Leave those iconic, vintage movies alone... Why mess with it?.. I think what Hollywood has to do is come up with an original, quality story that would last.

The simple fact is, we don't need this many remakes; they're a waste of space. They push unique, imaginative works out of the marketplace. Besides, we know that the public will pay to see original movies that aren't based on a pre-existing source. We have proof. E.T.. Star Wars. Alien. Back to the Future. Scream. The Sixth Sense, and more recently, Paranormal Activity, Inception, Avatar.

Again,.. all Hollywood should do is come up with something innovative...  The highest-grossing horror movie last year was Shutter Island. Not a remake. That movie made a healthy $128 million domestic due to a combination of factors, but one major element was undoubtedly Martin Scorsese. He is a proven filmmaker, one of the greatest of all time. Not to mention, he is now a brand unto himself. That film's chances of crossing the $100 million mark would have been much more limited had his name not been plastered across the poster... Just sayin'...