Author Topic: Perk and Bynum. what's going on?  (Read 21436 times)

Re: Perk and Bynum. what's going on?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
   10 offensive boards today against Denver of 17 total.  Nene and K-mart no scrubs either.  Does not sound like easy rebounds. I wonder if it was all the conditioning that he did post surgery.  The same for Bynum who looks a solid 10-15 pounds lighter from last year. 

All you need to do is look at his fg% for the game to see where the offensive boards came from.  He kept missing layups, collecting the rebound, and missing again lol.

Don't knock it. Moses Malone followed that recipe right into the HOF.

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The Perk hate makes me sad.

Meanwhile, Jeff "the best player in the trade" Green, gets 7 rebounds the other night, half of them in garbage time, goes 3-9 from the floor (7-19 over his last 3 games), and people are talking about him like he is hall-of-fame player. Go figure.  ::)
And the 7 reb was his high as a Celtic by a decent margin.  His other big rebounding games were a 5 reb game and a 4 reb game.  And then a lot of 3's, 2's, 1's, and 0's.

Anyway, Perk has definitely been hitting the boards and Bynum looks like the star he can be if he stays healthy.

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
   10 offensive boards today against Denver of 17 total.  Nene and K-mart no scrubs either.  Does not sound like easy rebounds. I wonder if it was all the conditioning that he did post surgery.  The same for Bynum who looks a solid 10-15 pounds lighter from last year. 

All you need to do is look at his fg% for the game to see where the offensive boards came from.  He kept missing layups, collecting the rebound, and missing again lol.

Reminds me of Antoine.  His rebounding numbers were misleading because he missed so many easy shots and then rebounded his misses.
Too bad he didn't rebound all his misses from 3 pt land ;)

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 08:48:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Reminds me of Antoine.  His rebounding numbers were misleading because he missed so many easy shots and then rebounded his misses.
Yeah but under Doc he'd just make the initial miss and then have to run back on D and forget the offensive rebound  ::)
At least in OKC, he goes after the miss and eventually scores.   ;)

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
17 rebounds, on 2-11 shooting. 10 of those 17 rebounds were offensive, I wonder how they came.

Heck, even if you just look only at the 7 defensive rebounds, that would be a great night for Nenad Krstic.  He's only grabbed more than 6 rebounds twice the entire season.  That really is a mind-boggling statistic.

I'm just not going to get excited about 17 rebounds when the big man defense seemingly wasn't there, and the guy in question went 2-11. Any other night it would be praise worthy, I just question bring it up after this particular game.

Been more impressed in other games with much less rebound totals.

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah but under Doc he'd just make the initial miss and then have to run back on D and forget the offensive rebound  ::)
At least in OKC, he goes after the miss and eventually scores.   ;)
Yeah... no, it didn't work this way, as evidenced by how Davis and Krstic have played for us.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Meanwhile, Jeff "the best player in the trade" Green, gets 7 rebounds the other night, half of them in garbage time, goes 3-9 from the floor (7-19 over his last 3 games), and people are talking about him like he is hall-of-fame player. Go figure.  ::)

From what I've seen, most people on here talking about jeff green have been a bit frustrated with his production...not glorifying it.  Even in the game thread from that 7 rebounding game he was getting called out lol.

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If bynum can stay healthy he's the next great center in the nba.  Howard is a great athlete who has finally shown signs of developing a game but bynum has the package and is LONG.
Perk I'm glad he's getting the rebounding stats but I watched the game the other night and I kind of feel sorry for him, okc system is junk.  Perk went from playing great team ball to, set pick, set another pick, try to rebound, run down floor, defend start over.  Granted he was our 5th option but he ball touches have gone away.  Love durant and his gervinesque game but they need to get a coach in there.
Perks feet are just to slow for him to ever be a great rebounder, current numbers aside
From reading all the posts this one is closet to how i feel about the Perk situation.I noticed the media has put more hype to Perk's presence than it really deserves.If you read some of the OKC newspapers a few weeks ago you'd thought they had signed Hakeem Perkins instead of Kendrick...they are so good offensively they don't rely on defense in the way Boston does.Last i remembered KG was the best anchor on defense in the NBA.I can't ever remember the media debating on whether Perkins was being voted defensive player of the year.I feel they need to bring in a defensive-minded assistant coach or maybe because Durant/Westbrook has been given the green light and so talented on the offensive side at this early stage of their careers playing consistent team defense might be falling on deaf ears at this point.From Perk's body language he's looked frustrated and disappointed with Westbrook more than a few times.When OKC season comes to an end and if they don't win the west it wouldn't surprise me if we hear some things to the affect thru Perk there's a lot team wise to improve on from the defensive end if they want to win a championship.
Bottomline is i think the media has overrated Perk when the trade went down and some fans,bloggers,etc.have underrated him as a defensive player.Perk has learned a lot in the 3-4season under the tutorledge of KG.Although i think Perk's ready to be the anchor to his new team and probably eventually do it well.It will take an off season and then a full season to give a full evaluation on Perk's affect on OKC.TP
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:54:11 AM by housecall »

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

LOL; they played the Clips tonight not the Nuggets.  You know the team with the perimeter center, Chris Kaman. 
oops my bad!  You are right.  Sloppy reading on my part.  But isn't Kaman a 20-10 guy and also there is Griffin and Jordan who are both excellent rebounders.  Those 3 had 27 rebounds in the game which is not too shabby.  But Perk had 17 himself and 10 offensive boards fighting against these guys.

Kaman got over 10 RPG once in his career.  He can get boards if he stays in the block but he's much more of a jump shooter these days.  It's like Krstic; you stick him down low and he can get 10 boards; but in years past he also preferred to play outside the paint.

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's not hate. I just have an issue with people thinking that this guy is the messiah and a pivotal playoff piece in defense when he is a below average player post-injury and is getting yammed on and driven past at will by most guards.

And yet, his defense is so bad that since he's been in OKC, the Thunder's starting lineup with Perk in it yields fewer than 98 points per 100 possessions.  That's better than our starting four + Shaq, and is much, much better than OKC's previous starting lineup (109.5 allowed per 100 with Krstic/Green, 114 allowed per 100 with Krstic/Ibaka). 

Do you think this is just a coincidence?  That OKC went from one of the worst defenses in the NBA (particularly among playoff contenders), to one of the best?  How does that fit in with your assessment that Perk is routinely "getting yammed on and driven past at will by most guards"?

I don't like calling anybody a "hater".  However, I do think there are times when there's a pretty healthy bias at work, and I think a lot of Celtics fans have either become anti-Perk since the trade, or are using the trade as an excuse to let their long-held Perk scorn to show.  When I read some of the comments in this thread -- Perk only grabs easy rebounds, Perk gets blown past at will, etc. -- I wonder which Kendrick Perkins players have been watching the past several years.

To be fair the Thunder were an excellent defensive team last year. They have the talent to be a very good defensive squad, but it appears the hype got to Durant/Westbrook and they slacked off earlier in the year.

Removing the Green from the 4 spot probably has had just as big defensive impact than replacing Kristc with Perkins. Probably bigger in my opinion, moving Ibaka into the lineup is huge.

Combine protecting Ibaka with a physical defender like Perkins and I'm not surprised by the results.

Two things, though:

1.  OKC's defense was decent last year, but their Defensive Rating was still 104.6.  They've been much better with Perk;

2.  As noted above, the Krstic / Ibaka lineup was much, much worse defensively than the Perk / Ibaka lineup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't get the Perk analysis either.  It is pretty easy in my view. 

Perk is a good rebounder, better than Krstic. Perk misses a lot of easy shots that get spoon fed to him under the basket, some of those misses leading to "easy" ORebs, but he is still a good rebounder, especially if he is asked to focus on this and not worry about screens or help defense (and KG isn't next to him gobbling up his share of rebounds). 

Perk has been a factor in the improved defense in OK based on box scores and stats (I haven't seen a OK game so I can't assess it otherwise).  This shouldn't be surprising, he is a good defensive player.

Statistically, the Celtics defense has certainly not been crippled by the loss of Perk but he is a good defensive player and his loss creates a need for other adjustments.  I believe the Celtics defense is still really good, even though we lost a really good defensive player, because KG is an even better defensive player.  KG in my opinion has a bigger impact on team defense than Perk.

I miss Perk, he was a good guy and I liked him on the team but I also am happy with what we got for in the trade him and I think the Celtics are going to do well in the playoffs.

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 12:31:54 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't get the Perk analysis either.  It is pretty easy in my view. 

Perk is a good rebounder, better than Krstic. Perk misses a lot of easy shots that get spoon fed to him under the basket, some of those misses leading to "easy" ORebs, but he is still a good rebounder, especially if he is asked to focus on this and not worry about screens or help defense (and KG isn't next to him gobbling up his share of rebounds). 

Perk has been a factor in the improved defense in OK based on box scores and stats (I haven't seen a OK game so I can't assess it otherwise).  This shouldn't be surprising, he is a good defensive player.

Statistically, the Celtics defense has certainly not been crippled by the loss of Perk but he is a good defensive player and his loss creates a need for other adjustments.  I believe the Celtics defense is still really good, even though we lost a really good defensive player, because KG is an even better defensive player.  KG in my opinion has a bigger impact on team defense than Perk.

Offensively, we are harder to cover without Perk.

I miss Perk, he was a good guy and I liked him on the team but I also am happy with what we got for him in the trade and I think the Celtics are going to do well in the playoffs.

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Please no threads about how good Perk is.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

For whatever reason, this one is sound theoretically, but hasn't been true in actual practice.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

For whatever reason, this one is sound theoretically, but hasn't been true in actual practice.

Actually, it has been true in actual practice. Our players have simply been playing like crap until lately.