Author Topic: Perk and Bynum. what's going on?  (Read 21411 times)

Re: Perk and Bynum. what's going on?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:25:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
17 rebounds, on 2-11 shooting. 10 of those 17 rebounds were offensive, I wonder how they came.

More importantly, the PF/C combo of the Clippers scored 65 or so points combined. So much for the surety of Perkins' defense. Remember when we were crying about how the Clipper bigs were dominating us without Perk and how that wouldn't happen if Perk was here? Yep, the NBA is full of surprises.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:45 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
   10 offensive boards today against Denver of 17 total.  Nene and K-mart no scrubs either.  Does not sound like easy rebounds. I wonder if it was all the conditioning that he did post surgery.  The same for Bynum who looks a solid 10-15 pounds lighter from last year. 

All you need to do is look at his fg% for the game to see where the offensive boards came from.  He kept missing layups, collecting the rebound, and missing again lol.

I always say, Stats are the most misleading thing in the entire universe lol

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The Perk hate makes me sad.

Meanwhile, Jeff "the best player in the trade" Green, gets 7 rebounds the other night, half of them in garbage time, goes 3-9 from the floor (7-19 over his last 3 games), and people are talking about him like he is hall-of-fame player. Go figure.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:11:07 AM by vinnie »

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 01:12:58 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

While collecting misses off FTs and under the opposing team's basket? What type of offense are we talking about? 85 footers?

Not 85 footers Roy. I'm talking about being able to run (which perk can't do) up the court and follow the guards for buckets. Perk gets a rebound, then waddles up the court, sets a high pick, then waddles into the key, does nothing. Rinse and repeat.

Even shaq and JO can still run the center lane behind rondo and get an easy score.

Not saying thats perks fault, you can't expect much out of a relatively unskilled player with bad knees.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:01 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Not sure why.. but the lakers are having issues scoring.

Kobe regularly gets 20+ shots and Bynum and Gasol combined get about the same . . . at this point in time that's not an ideal strategy.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:39 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Meanwhile, Jeff "the best player in the trade" Green, gets 7 rebounds the other night, half of them in garbage time, goes 3-9 from the floor (7-19 over his last 3 games), and people are talking about him like he is hall-of-fame player. Go figure.  ::)

It's not hate. I just have an issue with people thinking that this guy is the messiah and a pivotal playoff piece in defense when he is a below average player post-injury and is getting yammed on and driven past at will by most guards.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's not hate. I just have an issue with people thinking that this guy is the messiah and a pivotal playoff piece in defense when he is a below average player post-injury and is getting yammed on and driven past at will by most guards.

And yet, his defense is so bad that since he's been in OKC, the Thunder's starting lineup with Perk in it yields fewer than 98 points per 100 possessions.  That's better than our starting four + Shaq, and is much, much better than OKC's previous starting lineup (109.5 allowed per 100 with Krstic/Green, 114 allowed per 100 with Krstic/Ibaka). 

Do you think this is just a coincidence?  That OKC went from one of the worst defenses in the NBA (particularly among playoff contenders), to one of the best?  How does that fit in with your assessment that Perk is routinely "getting yammed on and driven past at will by most guards"?

I don't like calling anybody a "hater".  However, I do think there are times when there's a pretty healthy bias at work, and I think a lot of Celtics fans have either become anti-Perk since the trade, or are using the trade as an excuse to let their long-held Perk scorn to show.  When I read some of the comments in this thread -- Perk only grabs easy rebounds, Perk gets blown past at will, etc. -- I wonder which Kendrick Perkins players have been watching the past several years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His rebounding is pretty similar to what he was doing in Boston this year. He's getting slightly more offensive boards but that's pretty skewed by his 10 OReb game last night.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 07:58:02 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If bynum can stay healthy he's the next great center in the nba.  Howard is a great athlete who has finally shown signs of developing a game but bynum has the package and is LONG.
Perk I'm glad he's getting the rebounding stats but I watched the game the other night and I kind of feel sorry for him, okc system is junk.  Perk went from playing great team ball to, set pick, set another pick, try to rebound, run down floor, defend start over.  Granted he was our 5th option but he ball touches have gone away.  Love durant and his gervinesque game but they need to get a coach in there.
Perks feet are just to slow for him to ever be a great rebounder, current numbers aside

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 07:58:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
17 rebounds, on 2-11 shooting. 10 of those 17 rebounds were offensive, I wonder how they came.

Heck, even if you just look only at the 7 defensive rebounds, that would be a great night for Nenad Krstic.  He's only grabbed more than 6 rebounds twice the entire season.  That really is a mind-boggling statistic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

And yet, his defense is so bad that since he's been in OKC, the Thunder's starting lineup with Perk in it yields fewer than 98 points per 100 possessions.  That's better than our starting four + Shaq, and is much, much better than OKC's previous starting lineup (109.5 allowed per 100 with Krstic/Green, 114 allowed per 100 with Krstic/Ibaka). 

Do you think this is just a coincidence?  That OKC went from one of the worst defenses in the NBA (particularly among playoff contenders), to one of the best?  How does that fit in with your assessment that Perk is routinely "getting yammed on and driven past at will by most guards"?

I don't like calling anybody a "hater".  However, I do think there are times when there's a pretty healthy bias at work, and I think a lot of Celtics fans have either become anti-Perk since the trade, or are using the trade as an excuse to let their long-held Perk scorn to show.  When I read some of the comments in this thread -- Perk only grabs easy rebounds, Perk gets blown past at will, etc. -- I wonder which Kendrick Perkins players have been watching the past several years.

To be fair the Thunder were an excellent defensive team last year. They have the talent to be a very good defensive squad, but it appears the hype got to Durant/Westbrook and they slacked off earlier in the year.

Removing the Green from the 4 spot probably has had just as big defensive impact than replacing Kristc with Perkins. Probably bigger in my opinion, moving Ibaka into the lineup is huge.

Combine protecting Ibaka with a physical defender like Perkins and I'm not surprised by the results.

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
His rebounding is pretty similar to what he was doing in Boston this year. He's getting slightly more offensive boards but that's pretty skewed by his 10 OReb game last night.

Yeah, the one caveat being that he was rebounding very well in Boston, too. 

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah, his Dreb rate is the same and his OREb rat is up from 9 to a 12. But one-third of those boards game in one game out of 13 with OKC.

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Yeah, his Dreb rate is the same and his OREb rat is up from 9 to a 12. But one-third of those boards game in one game out of 13 with OKC.

Not surprising.  He has been trained to get back on defense.  So, unless he had great position and the ball is heading towards him, he is going to turn quickly and get back. 

Things like this makes me sad.  This is something every and any playoff team needs. 

We have to still hope the Celtics two O'Neals are healthy enough to give that. 

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
   10 offensive boards today against Denver of 17 total.  Nene and K-mart no scrubs either.  Does not sound like easy rebounds. I wonder if it was all the conditioning that he did post surgery.  The same for Bynum who looks a solid 10-15 pounds lighter from last year. 

All you need to do is look at his fg% for the game to see where the offensive boards came from.  He kept missing layups, collecting the rebound, and missing again lol.

Reminds me of Antoine.  His rebounding numbers were misleading because he missed so many easy shots and then rebounded his misses.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson