Author Topic: Bismack Biyombo  (Read 30693 times)

Re: Bismack Biyombo
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Jeremy Tyler's stats -- season averages + game log -- while in Japan.

I have no idea what the level of competition is like over there though. From the look of his stats (10/6 in 15mpg), I would say it's pretty low.

-----------------------------------------------

Update

The league he is playing in was only created in 2005. It's a brand new league. Hard to see them having much quality ... especially quality big men ... for Jeremy to test himself against.

Here are there recent MVPs -- does anyone recognize the names and is able to give an evaluation on the quality of the league ... considering these guys where the MVPs and Jeremy Tyler can only get 15 minutes per game in this league.

Season MVP
Season    Recipient    Team
2005-06 Season    Lynn Washington -- link   
2006-07 Season    David Palmer -- link
2007-08 Season    Lynn Washington    
2008-09 Season    Jeff Newton -- link   
2009-10 Season    Wendell White -- link

From what I could find out about those guys from a quick Google search ... it is not an impressive group of players. Makes me uneasy that J.Tyler can only muster 15mpg in this league.

Yeah, like I said, complete wild card.

I think Doc might need to give his old coach Bob Hill a call to get the inside scoop on the kid. 

Obviously, this is not someone I would feel very confident in, however, given how poor this draft is, and where the C's will be picking, I just think its the perfect opportunity to really take a flyer on a kid like this, if they believe he has the attitude and work ethic to get better.

And while I hate the idea of "KG can make him better", if there ever were a perfect pairing of a kid who needs direction, and a veteran who can relate to him, it is KG and this kid.  Not sure it would do anything for him on the basketball court, but I have a feeling at the very least, KG could help the kid out as a human being.

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
this guy just looks like a shorter haseem thabeet to me. Can't shoot, can't dribble, no signs of any passing ability, and a frame that might not be capable of putting on the weight necessary to play PF in the league.

While it is fair for you to compare him to Thabeet, it may also interest you that Hakeem Olajuwon could not shoot, dribble or pass the ball. And his frame got bigger as he aged.

At 6'8"/6'9" and at 240 pounds, and you still think he needs the extra weight? If he weighed 260 pounds, you'd probably say he is overweight.

If you just look at the numbers, it looks decent, but if you actually look at his frame, he's small.  Look at boozer, zbo, duncan, griffin, david west...even bosh looks bigger. My main point as you quoted, wasn't about his size though.

The issue, is that once he joins the league where EVERYONE has size, and almost everyone has athleticism, you need skills to survive. From what I've seen, he doesn't have any skills. ie...Cant pass, shoot, or dribble. That's where I see the thabeet likeness. A skill-less player whose size and athletic dominance will be negated by the competition at the next level.

What I wanted to say here was, Hakeem Olajuwon. He couldn't dribble, pass or shoot. Monster of a rebounder and defender, though. His skills developed, his frame improved, and lo and behold!
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If by some miracle he is there for the Celtics pick they should not pass him up.

His dominated in the world vs USA game. Scoring a triple double, with the last stat being blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUxKzucNsTo&feature=player_embedded

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 01:19:41 AM »

Offline Tommy Point God

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 13
yea i've seen some nice plays from him

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 01:23:20 PM »

Offline CaptainJackLee

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 21
Jeremy Tyler's stats -- season averages + game log -- while in Japan.

I have no idea what the level of competition is like over there though. From the look of his stats (10/6 in 15mpg), I would say it's pretty low.

-----------------------------------------------

Update

The league he is playing in was only created in 2005. It's a brand new league. Hard to see them having much quality ... especially quality big men ... for Jeremy to test himself against.

Here are there recent MVPs -- does anyone recognize the names and is able to give an evaluation on the quality of the league ... considering these guys where the MVPs and Jeremy Tyler can only get 15 minutes per game in this league.

Season MVP
Season    Recipient    Team
2005-06 Season    Lynn Washington -- link   
2006-07 Season    David Palmer -- link
2007-08 Season    Lynn Washington    
2008-09 Season    Jeff Newton -- link   
2009-10 Season    Wendell White -- link

From what I could find out about those guys from a quick Google search ... it is not an impressive group of players. Makes me uneasy that J.Tyler can only muster 15mpg in this league.

Right, but remember, Brandon Jennings was the same way.  Biyombo is the same way too, he's only playing about 17 minutes a game right now.  It's tough to judge because all of the leagues are different.  I just think this is a fairly weak draft in terms of top of the line talent, so with a late first round pick, I think you pick someone based more on potential and just hope he improves.  Also, Tyler went to Japan specifically because Bob Hill was there.  He's 6'11, 250, long and looks to be in great shape.  In  highschool, he was very athletic and had a solid midrange.  That could be gone now, who knows.

No, it wasn't the same way; that's like saying that a guy producing in a major program of a major NCAA conference is the same of a guy producing in a weak Div. III program. There's a huge gap between those leagues, it's not even comparable. The top players of the Japanese league would have no chance whatsoever of getting a contract with teams in the Spanish or Italian league and the difference is even bigger when you look at the middle and lower class guys - due to the quota system that restricts imports, there are lots of Japanese guys there that are very mediocre players, a large percentage of JBL players wouldn't even be able to get any sort of paid job in Europe or any good African and Asian leagues, not even a part-time contract. Jennings' or Biyombo's teams would win the Japanese league with a 100% winning record and blowing out every single game.

Tyler may be a good prospect, he seems to have the size+athleticism of a NBA player and the youtube clips suggest he has decent balance and hands, but I wouldn't read anything in his production. Very low level of competition.

Lucas Nogueira is another guy that sounds very interesting.

Raw seven footer with very good athleticism. Only 18. Brazilian.

From an athletic perspective, I think he may be a little slow-footed laterally. Hmm... thinking about it, perhaps it's more of a product of still playing too stiff, doesn't get low enough to react and slide fast. I played against his team twice this year and it was fairly easy for us to attack with pick'n'rolls and for our inside guys to attack facing-up when he was on the court, just going around him. We struggled a lot more when they were playing zone with him in the middle. His team had another long 7fter in the roster, quite a few guys 6'7'' or taller, their perimeter players were also long and athletic and when they were zoning it was tough for a team like ours. But most of the time they were defending 1x1 and in that scenario Lucas was an easy liability to explore. He's very quick recovering once left behind though, very large steps and leaves the floor quickly to contest shots from behind.

What worries me more about Nogueira is that he looked a bit on the nonchalant side. Doesn't play with much energy, sets very soft screens, plays with his arms down... not sure if you understand what I'm saying. Do you remember Patrick O'Bryant, the center that was signed from the Warriors? Same sort of demeanour, he lets other people outwork him. We play lots of minutes with 6'6'' bigs and they were able to keep him in check with relative ease, some pushing around and he got quiet. I think that if you're as long, coordinated and athletic as he is, you ought to do a little more than blocking shots and rebounding. It seemed that he often lacked the initiative to do more.

All in all, he's still years away from being a player that can contribute in the NBA, even as a garbage man. For a guy like me it's almost suicidal to get a shot off with a guy like him anywhere in the proximities, but NBA players will pick him apart.

Quote from: dtrader
If you just look at the numbers, it looks decent, but if you actually look at his frame, he's small.  Look at boozer, zbo, duncan, griffin, david west...even bosh looks bigger. My main point as you quoted, wasn't about his size though.

The issue, is that once he joins the league where EVERYONE has size, and almost everyone has athleticism, you need skills to survive. From what I've seen, he doesn't have any skills. ie...Cant pass, shoot, or dribble. That's where I see the thabeet likeness. A skill-less player whose size and athletic dominance will be negated by the competition at the next level.

I don't think Biyombo's size and athleticism will be negated in the NBA. His combination of size and athleticism are top-notch for NBA standards too. I can't think of many guys entering the draft at his age with a similar combination of physical gifts.

I think what separates him is that he's showed the ability to produce. Raw bigs with athleticism (like Sene) are one thing (very bust prone); raw bigs with athleticism and a record of producing and contributing at high levels of competition (like Ibaka) are a different thing.

I'd say the biggest difference between Biyombo and Ibaka is that Serge has always showed more offensive talent, especially the ability to knock down shots and softer hands. Otherwise they're pretty similar, Biyombo is actually bigger, more physically imposing. Ibaka is more of a finesse defender.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:10:07 PM by CaptainJackLee »

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Biyombo is number one on my board for this draft. I would love to be able tp pick this guy up, however, all of the mock drafts I've seen have had him in the top ten, a couple he was top 5. I dont see him sticking around for our pick.

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Just watched his highlights from the nike hoop summit. NO WAY Biyombo is 18. that was a grown man playing against adolescence. And he was not that dominant. so what good is he if a grown man can't dominant against adolescence? honestly, I don't see much upside to him. since Biyombo picked up basketball at very late 'age', its a little too late for him to learn fundamental of basketball. even then he lacks fluidity and coordination that is needed. Biyombo can however block shots but so can DeSagana Diop, Pape sow, Sene, Thabeet. I will be rooting for him to succeed. And I hope he proves me wrong.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:06:24 PM by Change »

Bismack Biyomo!?
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Just read this good article on the kid:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Biyombo-110614

Pretty crazy to think a kid, with all of our modern day resouces, can just rise out of complete obscurity and have professional scouts considering the possibility that he could be the best basketball player available in the 2011 draft.

one of his solo workouts was so bad it had one scout saying "he just played a game of one-on-none...and lost."

Where does Danny stand on this kid i wonder....

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
He is an intriguing player, but given the C's lack of assets, and how raw the kid is, I doubt Danny invests any of them to move up for him, unless its a deal he just can't pass-up.

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Ben Wallace Lite, maybe?

EDIT: Youtube clip deleted - someone had already posted a longer version - my bad.

Sure he's raw, but I'd love for him to fall to us.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:58:37 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley
SF: Green
PF: Biyombo

Offensively, that's a brutal lineup. Some potential for good defense, but absolutely brutal on offense.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »

Offline toneskeet

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I've heard rumblings of BBD and Avery Bradly for the #12 pick. Maybe we could get him there.

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I've heard rumblings of BBD and Avery Bradly for the #12 pick. Maybe we could get him there.

How is that possible, when BBD cannot be traded on draft night?

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

It's not possible.  Not sure what "rumblings" means anyways...

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

It's not possible.  Not sure what "rumblings" means anyways...

Was probably just BBD's belly.