Author Topic: Patriots 2011 Regular Season  (Read 106012 times)

Re: Patriots 2011 Regular Season
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't know how, from a cap standpoint, they'd be able to pull this off. 

Yeah, I am sure that is the stumbling block here.

Although it makes more sense than ever before with the Pats switching to a 4-3.  

I am sure the Pats could find a way to fit him under the cap, but the question is, are they willing to give him the longterm extension, with lots of guaranteed money that he wants.  

I have a feeling Belichick is just doing his due diligence, and is putting their name in there, in case Osi has just tired of NY, and would be willing to play out his current contract (or maybe even restructure it to 1 year, rather than the 2 currently remaining) elsewhere.

But, if Osi is going to continue to kick and scream asking for an extension, I would be shocked if the Pats stay in this.

The one thing I could see them possibly doing is trying to attempt a Donte Stallworth in '07 type deal where it was essentially a one year deal because of the large kick-ins heading into Year Two.  The incentive was for him to play well and he'd be rewarded while the team got him at a reasonable one year salary and gladly let him go after the season where he could hit the free agent market.

However, do you really deal a 2nd rounder for a one year rental?  And what Osi buy it?  Big question marks.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Per PFT 7 teams are over the cap, pats not one of them.  Pretty amazing the raiders are so high

Per a source with knowledge of the cap numbers, here are the seven teams that were in the red:  Raiders ($17.3 million), Steelers ($11.5 million), Texans ($8.5 million), Vikings ($5.6 million), Lions ($5 million), Cowboys ($3.7 million), and Panthers ($939,000).

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I read today that RB Shane Vereen (Pats 2nd round pick this year, out of Cal) was injured in practice today.  Sort of bummed by that as I really like him and am hoping for big things from him this year (of course, no word on if the injury is that serious).

Any Pats season tickets holders here on CB who got to see practice last night?  TPs for you if you post some reactions.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Shaun Ellis, formerly of the Jets, visited NE today. 
He'd be a decent addition at the right price.  Especially if he helps sack Sanchez.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Rondo was at Pats practice today.  Pictures of him with Belichil and Ochochinco...  ill post them tmrw cuz im pretty beat right now.
Wow. Rondo's trying to get into the NFL. Genius. I love it. Who needs the NBA when you could be the greatest slash ever!

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
He'd be a decent addition at the right price.  Especially if he helps sack Sanchez.
I'd looovveee to have that guy

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Interesting:
Channing Crowder visited the Patriots on Thursday.

I think it would be great from a rivalry p.o.v. to add Crowder and Ellis to the roster.

Don't know if it makes as much football sense or financial sense as other possible additions, though.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Interesting:
Channing Crowder visited the Patriots on Thursday.

I think it would be great from a rivalry p.o.v. to add Crowder and Ellis to the roster.

Don't know if it makes as much football sense or financial sense as other possible additions, though.

Crowder is a guy who I've always thought was a punk going back to his Florida State days.  It'd be extremely rough to root for a guy like that.  Hoping the Pats pass on him.

Ellis would be someone I wouldn't mind seeing get a shot although not sure what he has left in the tank.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Well I went to practice today and here are some observations I had:

* gronkowski looks almost unguardable out there. He had some nice catches from brady for big gains today
* hernandez had some nice catches too especially in the goal line drill. He caught like 3 td passes in a row. Sometimes even diving towards the ground
* the catch of the day came from ochocinco though who running baseline jumped in the air between 2 defenders to catch a pass before putting both feet on the ground.

This is whats going to make the pats a nightmare to defend this year imo. Brady is surrounded by targets all who can make big plays..someone is going to be open

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
new england look out for....

ROAR!!!!

our time....our season

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
He'd be a decent addition at the right price.  Especially if he helps sack Sanchez.

You got him!
Patriots sign Shaun Ellis!
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4699396/patriots-agree-with-de-ellis
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:53:34 AM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Well I went to practice today and here are some observations I had:

* gronkowski looks almost unguardable out there. He had some nice catches from brady for big gains today
* hernandez had some nice catches too especially in the goal line drill. He caught like 3 td passes in a row. Sometimes even diving towards the ground
* the catch of the day came from ochocinco though who running baseline jumped in the air between 2 defenders to catch a pass before putting both feet on the ground.

This is whats going to make the pats a nightmare to defend this year imo. Brady is surrounded by targets all who can make big plays..someone is going to be open

tp thanks for the updates
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
He'd be a decent addition at the right price.  Especially if he helps sack Sanchez.

You got him!
Patriots sign Shaun Ellis!
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4699396/patriots-agree-with-de-ellis
Besides that I think he can help I loooovvveee it for the FU ness of it alone. This is like if the Jets signed McGinest

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
How much do you think Tom Brady says in reference to Ryan Mallet "There goes that kid that couldn't cut it at Michigan and had to go to Arkansas "University"?" 

If it were me I'd do that like every day.  That's why everyone likes me. NEVER GRADUATE!