Author Topic: Patriots 2011 Regular Season  (Read 105980 times)

Re: Patriots 2011 Regular Season
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Wow.  Patriots are really busy.
Mankins: check
DL who can rush the passer: check (Haynesworth)
deep threat WR: check (Ochocinco)
It also sounds like they are working on a deal with Matt Light.

At this point, I think what they need to do is get a bunch of practices under their belt and let competition play out at the various positions.  I'm pretty happy with what BB has done so far.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
By the way, I think the Eagles made out well getting that CB and a 2nd round pick for Kolb.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I didn't see enough of Bengals games last year to comment on how much he has left.

Certainly the Patriots have added some big names, now we'll have to see if they play up to them.

True.  Still, I'd much rather have the Pats' off-season than, say, the Bears so far.  :P 

I think OchoCinco isnt the deep threat that he once was, but he is still a tremendous route runner and isnt afraid to go over the middle.  The Pats receiving core with Welker, Ochocinco, and Branch is a very skilled group.  Their talents may be a bit redundant, but the talent is there so it is up to the coaches to figure out how best to use the talent.

Also, the bromance that Belichick and Ochocinco have had for quite some time hasn't been a secret, these guys really like eachother and should be fun to watch.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm not comfortable with a 33 year old weirdo receiver that Belichek has a bromance with.

Doesn't feel right

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 01:12:57 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
its rediculous how stacked we are at the wide reciever position....Brandon tate and edelman would be first string on most teams. yet here, they're behind welker, branch and ochocinco

ochocinco may not be the player he once was, but this makes us alot better team no doubt. im excited

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

At this point, I think what they need to do is get a bunch of practices under their belt and let competition play out at the various positions.  I'm pretty happy with what BB has done so far.

Much busier than I expected ... I anticiapted them sitting on their hands for the most part. I like most of the moves so far, and while I have my reservations about 8-5, I think all these moves make us stronger.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »

Offline jaybahs

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 27
This is great ... can't wait till the season starts ...  ;D

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The next bit of business should be to sign Mankins long term. If we can do that we could lower his cap number. This would allow us to sign a decent olb and/or resign Light.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

The next bit of business should be to sign Mankins long term. If we can do that we could lower his cap number. This would allow us to sign a decent olb and/or resign Light.

Agreed. 
On that note, anyone have a handle on where the Pats are with regards to the cap?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
its rediculous how stacked we are at the wide reciever position....Brandon tate and edelman would be first string on most teams. yet here, they're behind welker, branch and ochocinco

ochocinco may not be the player he once was, but this makes us alot better team no doubt. im excited

While I think Edleman is pretty good, I don't think Tate is worthy of being a first stringer on most teams.  He was our only real deep threat last year, and he completely unimpressed me.  And I don't see his shortcomings being improved upon much through additional practice and years.

For this reason I'm very pleased with the Chad Johnson signing.  If he can take plays away from Tate it will be a net benefit to this team.  

I can't wait for the season to start!!

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Agreed. 
On that note, anyone have a handle on where the Pats are with regards to the cap?

Oh, answered my own question: http://www.patscap.com/
Looks like Pats are right at the cap.
(the page currently suggests they have about $8M, but factor in Ochocinco, and the Pats' top 3 draft picks, still unsigned, and we are bumped up pretty close to that cap).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

Agreed. 

Seconded, it's tough for me to try and rationalize my dream of them signing Nnamdi Asomugha, when I'm not sure it's possible.  ;)

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Agreed. 

Seconded, it's tough for me to try and rationalize my dream of them signing Nnamdi Asomugha, when I'm not sure it's possible.  ;)
The only reason I want Nnamdi is to keep him away from the Jets.

I think McCourty is/will be a top 5 corner this year. Bodden is an excellent #2 if he's completely healthy. Arrington showed that he can be a quality starter so he'll make a great third corner. Butler has all the talent in the world and will really help at some point this year.

Right now we need an outside backer. Osi would be a good rusher but he probably wants too much money, same with Ray Edwards. As of now our best option is probably Mike Roth. However, Eric Moore played very well last year and apparently has gotten some first team reps. Maybe he turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

We were very good last year, this year we should only get better. I'm fired up for football Rondo you want to talk some BC? Anyone want to discuss Friday Night Lights? I have football fever.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats can't afford Nnamdi, but that's okay.  I think the Pats offsense is going to be the most explosive in the NFL this year, and no, I'm not worried about hyperbole or a jinx.

It would be nice to get some more on defense, but I think at this point the Pats will not go for the big splashes, but rather the cheaper guys who play important roles and can step right in -- I'm thinking here especially of Pats FAs like Tracy White and Jarrad Page.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 04:08:49 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
With the Pats releasing Ty Warren, do anybody think the Haynesworth deal is more risky now?
Let's Go Celtics!!