Author Topic: Patriots 2011 Regular Season  (Read 106084 times)

Re: Patriots 2011 Regular Season
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm not sure I understand.  He's not worth a fraction of the $100 million dollar deal he signed. He's only 5 mill this year, but there's no way the Pats are thinking of giving him something like 60mill, right?

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not sure I understand.  He's not worth a fraction of the $100 million dollar deal he signed. He's only 5 mill this year, but there's no way the Pats are thinking of giving him something like 60mill, right?
I don't think they traded for him to extend him, rather I think they'll make him play out his current contract.

If he brings the same atttitude as he did to Washington they'll likely just cut him, only losing a 5th round pick to win now is a good move.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I believe that Washington paid off a lot of his contract (when I signing bonus is paid the cap hit is spread over the life of the contract). He only makes around 5 this year and around 6 next, then his contract kicks up to something outrageous like 20 MM
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

I believe that Washington paid off a lot of his contract (when I signing bonus is paid the cap hit is spread over the life of the contract). He only makes around 5 this year and around 6 next, then his contract kicks up to something outrageous like 20 MM

Yeah, from what I've read, the cap hits in '11 & '12 aren't too bad.  Then this ridiculous bonus kicks in for the 2013 season which can be declined but then converts to a huge performance bonus while on top of a salary of around $8.5 million.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
This is a make or break opportunity for Haynesworth because of his past and the Patriots past to take chances on some guys. Albert has to have a good attitude and a good teammate in order to play football and he has to take a very, very good look at all the other troubled talents to play for the Patriots have any of them had much success since leaving?

Randy Moss- no
Dillon- he retired but I still count it as a no.

Also you have others who have had attitude issues when playing in NE Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs and none have made a huge splash in the NFL since getting cut nor to my knowledge have any of them played for a team. If Haynesworth continues his issues on and off the field and especially clashes with the coach I don't see him playing for another team. NFL execs, coaches etc. have a lot of respect for Belichick and if Haynesworth can't make it on Bill's Patriots then the other teams will decide that he won't make it on theres either.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
This move is fantastic. I think alot has been discussed about how this is a low risk move for the Pats.

What I am salivating over is Vince Wilfork and Haynesworth taking on multiple blockers respectively and opening huge lanes for a pass rush. We actually have some speedy linebackers...

This could be just what Bill needs to insert some of the blitzes he has largely abandoned since Seymour left.

Vince might see the most one on one blocking of his career with this guy next to him...

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
This is very exciting if Haynesworth can come anywhere close to earning that ridiculous contract.  The Patriots have needed some more intimidation on the D-line for a while.

If he's a headcase, alright, fine.  Just direct that mean-n-crazy at the other team.  The Patriots need a tough edge to them.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Man, even if we only get 70% of the Tennessee version of Haynesworth, he still commands a double team just by being on the field. Cannot wait to if this works out!

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Chad OchoCinco is saying that the "Media don't know nothing, but im going to enjoy clam chowder," with regards to rumors about his being cut from the bengals.

looks like OchoCinco to the pats is a possibility.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/ochocinco-hints-hes-heading-to-the-patriots/
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Chad OchoCinco is saying that the "Media don't know nothing, but im going to enjoy clam chowder," with regards to rumors about his being cut from the bengals.

looks like OchoCinco to the pats is a possibility.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/ochocinco-hints-hes-heading-to-the-patriots/

Just to add to it I heard on SportsHub that Ochocinco said "wish granted" via twitter. Sounds like his a Patriot but I don't know if the sources our out there other than twitter at this time
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6813469/cincinnati-bengals-deal-chad-ochocinco-new-england-patriots-source-says

Its official: Ochocinco is with the Patriots. I think its a great move since Ochocinco respects Coach Belichick and has been for years wanting to be coached by him. This is a move I concur with.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I didn't see enough of Bengals games last year to comment on how much he has left.

Certainly the Patriots have added some big names, now we'll have to see if they play up to them.

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 06:06:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I hope to not be in the position of relying on Pats for all my sports this fall/winter (note: not a hockey or baseball fan), but they are sure setting up the potential to be an exciting powerhouse. 

If Jets get Asomugha, NE and NY just might be the top 2 teams in the NFL.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn't see enough of Bengals games last year to comment on how much he has left.

Certainly the Patriots have added some big names, now we'll have to see if they play up to them.

True.  Still, I'd much rather have the Pats' off-season than, say, the Bears so far.  :P 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

True.  Still, I'd much rather have the Pats' off-season than, say, the Bears so far.  :P 

;D TP.