Author Topic: Anyone see pic of the Joker?  (Read 29646 times)

Re: Anyone see pic of the Joker?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 07:38:12 AM »

Offline UK Celtic

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 15
 Hopefully, they don't kill the Joker off at the end of this one.

This is the only film I'm excited about coming up in the next few years.

I've read that in the sequel to the Dark Knight, Two-Face will be the 'bad guy'.  At the beginning of the that film or the end of The Dark Knight, during the Joker's trial, he will throw acid into Harvey Dent's face.

The Joker's daughter, Harley Quinn, will also be in the film.

Personally, I was concerned when they cast Ledger but those reports were reassuring.  I was hoping they wouldn't use the green hair and purple suit again.
"I've got like six Myspace pages.  You know I'm famous now"
- Future Hall-of-Famer DeShawn Stevenson

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 04:27:37 AM »

Offline Moneyshot

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I figured I'd update this since they started another Joker viral marketing game. About 13 days ago the www.whysoserious.com site was updated with a flash animation of a pumpkin with a candle in it burning. At midnight every night the candle would become smaller and about 8 or 9 days into it the pumpkin started to rot on one side. The pumpkin was designed like the pumpkin in the Batman graphic novel "The Long Halloween", and like the one in the comic it rotted on one side(in the comic the pumpkin represented Two-Face who's origin was in the story).  Then at midnight tonight the pumpkin was replaced with another game with instructions from the Joker.  The game calls for pictures to be taken at various cities in the country, and it has been found that those locations have letters which it seems are what are supposed to be found. The prize everyone hopes for is a trailer with footage or possibly the first picture of Two-Face (which I would find surprising). So for those interested in The Dark Knight or viral marketing campaigns you should check out the site during the day to see what the reward is: http://www.whysoserious.com

And here is a couple recent comments from Michael Caine (Alfred) about Heath's performance as the Joker to add to the hype:

"I tell you the big surprise in the new ‘Batman’ — Heath Ledger as the Joker,” Caine told reporters in New York Tuesday. “He’s fantastic. He’s gone in a different direction than Jack (Nicholson) … Jack was like a really scary old, nasty old uncle with a funny face. Heath is like the most murderous psychopath you’ve ever seen on the screen,” Caine said.

"I tell ya, the revelation about The Dark Knight will be Heath Ledger. It's hard to imagine anyone topping Jack Nicholson as the Joker, but he is just as good...in a different way. He's genuinely terrifying - absolutely f****** s***-scary It's like a nightmare. The first time I saw him in full Joker costume, we were rehearsing a scene where he comes up in an elevator and robs Batman's flat. I'd never seen him, never met him in character and he bursts out of the elevator screaming, with his seven bloody nightmare dwarves in tow. I just shouted, 'F****** hell!' and I completely forgot the lines. He scared the s*** out of me!"

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I figured I'd update this since they started another Joker viral marketing game. About 13 days ago the www.whysoserious.com site was updated with a flash animation of a pumpkin with a candle in it burning. At midnight every night the candle would become smaller and about 8 or 9 days into it the pumpkin started to rot on one side. The pumpkin was designed like the pumpkin in the Batman graphic novel "The Long Halloween", and like the one in the comic it rotted on one side(in the comic the pumpkin represented Two-Face who's origin was in the story).  Then at midnight tonight the pumpkin was replaced with another game with instructions from the Joker.  The game calls for pictures to be taken at various cities in the country, and it has been found that those locations have letters which it seems are what are supposed to be found. The prize everyone hopes for is a trailer with footage or possibly the first picture of Two-Face (which I would find surprising). So for those interested in The Dark Knight or viral marketing campaigns you should check out the site during the day to see what the reward is: http://www.whysoserious.com

And here is a couple recent comments from Michael Caine (Alfred) about Heath's performance as the Joker to add to the hype:

"I tell you the big surprise in the new ‘Batman’ — Heath Ledger as the Joker,” Caine told reporters in New York Tuesday. “He’s fantastic. He’s gone in a different direction than Jack (Nicholson) … Jack was like a really scary old, nasty old uncle with a funny face. Heath is like the most murderous psychopath you’ve ever seen on the screen,” Caine said.

"I tell ya, the revelation about The Dark Knight will be Heath Ledger. It's hard to imagine anyone topping Jack Nicholson as the Joker, but he is just as good...in a different way. He's genuinely terrifying - absolutely f****** s***-scary It's like a nightmare. The first time I saw him in full Joker costume, we were rehearsing a scene where he comes up in an elevator and robs Batman's flat. I'd never seen him, never met him in character and he bursts out of the elevator screaming, with his seven bloody nightmare dwarves in tow. I just shouted, 'F****** hell!' and I completely forgot the lines. He scared the s*** out of me!"

Been checking it out for a while now and figured something would change on Halloween.  The message looks like
"The Only Sensible Way to Live in the World is Without Rules"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:03:00 PM by ChampKind »
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline Moneyshot

• Brad Stevens
Well that part of the game is over and another cool pick of the Joker was the first reward:

But when you click on that image it leads to another site and another possible reward:

And another bonus is when you click on the bottom right of the Joker pic when it is covered when you first get to http://www.whysoserious.com the Joker says, "And tonight you're going to break your one rule." I assume that is to Batman, and Batman's one rule is not to kill.  Very cool.

EDIT: Here's a quick link to the audio file of the Joker talking: http://assets.whysoserious.com/audio/onerule.mp3
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:53:32 PM by Moneyshot »

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »

Offline MikeDfromNP

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • Rondologist
Personally, I consider Batman Begins to be the finest superhero movie ever made for the simple reason that it best captured the essence of the character. There have been some other fine ones, like the first two Spidey flicks did a great job, and I really liked the X-Men, but Batman Begins meticulously developed the character.

It does a good job handling the death of his parents and the effect it had on him. It shows how that started him on a journey of self discovery which ultimately leads him to adopting an identity as an uncoventional crimefighter. It lays out the logic behind why he uses the imagery of the Batman, why he has the equipment he has, and his relationships with the people who help him realize his destiny and carry out his mission (Alfred, Gordon, etc.). The acquisition of his marvelous toys is detailed as well, and made plausible. His psycholological makeup is accurately detailed, and his moral/ethical code rationalized. The actors they brought in, with the exception of Katie Holmes, were excellent choices. Luckily, Katie is out and Maggie is in, which should make this next one that much better.

It's handling of how Bruce Wayne becomes the real mask, as the real Bruce is Batman to the core, is the real genius of the movie. Spiderman is really Peter Parker, the mask and abilities allow him to act in a way he normally wouldn't. Unlike just about every other comic book character, Batman CHOOSES to be what he is, something which draws us in. It isn't thrust upon him in the form of being a Son of Krypton, bitten by a radioactive spider, the product of some experiment, etc. He is an entire human chracter with an inhuman drive. He is the product of his choices. All of this is dealt with by the film makers, and the end result is that someone who never read the comic book would have a very good idea exactly who Batman is, and why he's such a magnetic character to us comic book readers.

This leads me to The Dark Knight. By doing all of these things in the first movie, we have a fully developed Batman character for the second film. This means that the Joker, probably the best nemesis of any comic book hero, can be developed as well. Instead of being a cartoonish, over simplified characature, he can be built up as well. We can understand what kind of person he is, because Batman is a finished product. That doesn't mean that his development won't continue, but you know the character well enough already to focus more on the Joker, instead of splitting time as in Burton's film.

The Joker is the perfect arch nemesis because he is like a photographic negative of Batman, not only in their imagery (he Joker uses his imagery to disarm the innocent, while Batman uses his to scare the guilty), but also in their moral, ethical and psychological makeup. While Batamn restrains and controls his demons, the Joker lets them run free. At the same time, they are very similar in many ways. It is a kind of yin/yang relationship. The Joker is almost a physical embodiment of Batman's own demons.

Prsonally I loved the pick of Heath Ledger. Just as Bale was a spot on match for Batman, Ledger is a physical match for what the Joker should be: angular, tall, with the right kind of face and voice. In addition, his is a very talented actor, as is the case with Bale. Once he was picked, I knew that the film makers were going for the real Joker, just as they went for the real Batman. A stone cold psycho who creeps you out and scares you, as opposed to making you laugh, yet who utterly fascinates you. Nicholson was great, but that wasn't the Joker. That was Nicholson making his own kind of magic. The real thing is going to be in this movie, and I'm revved up. Michael Caine's dialogue says it all - he just wants to see the world burn.

I trust that this movie is going to be a great one.

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »

Offline Moneyshot

• Brad Stevens
First, great post MikeDfromNP. I agree completely.

Many Joker/Dark Knight viral sites have been created today. Here they are:

http://www.thegothamtimes.com
  --> a Gotham newspaper
http://www.thehahahatimes.com  --> "Jokerized" version of the Gotham Times.  He vandalized the newspaper.  My favorite is page 3 where he changes the title of an article to "Cry Baby Bruce Wayne Can't Stop Being a Wuss" with Wayne saying "I Miss my Mommy!" with tears drawn running down his face.  And page 4 with the article, "Dead Girl No Longer Most Likely To Succeed" Funny stuff. He adds stories to these articles.
http://www.whysoserious.com/personalityprofile/ --> The Joker gives you a quiz, and at the end he says a new mission will be in a few days. 

The other sites created today:
http://www.rememberinggina.org --> A site about the dead girl.
http://gothamnationalbank.com/
http://www.wearetheanswer.org/
http://gothampolice.com/

They have gone all out on the viral lmarketing for this movie. Great stuff.  Also, before the Imax screening's of "I Am Legend" they will be showing the first 7 minutes of "The Dark Knight" which introduces the Joker.  I have got to see that.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i have never been a fan of the batman film series (with the exception of batman begins....gr8 movie!). ive never been a fan of DC, as i am a marvel guy.  i wish the batman series was a little more chronological. 

i think the spiderman, blade, and xmen series of films are far better than batman. even daredevil was a decent flick and better than some of the batman films, imo.

i am looking forward to black panther, ironman, and the avengers film coming out.

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
A true joker:

Yup

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 04:13:04 PM »

Offline Moneyshot

• Brad Stevens
i have never been a fan of the batman film series (with the exception of batman begins....gr8 movie!). ive never been a fan of DC, as i am a marvel guy.  i wish the batman series was a little more chronological. 

i think the spiderman, blade, and xmen series of films are far better than batman. even daredevil was a decent flick and better than some of the batman films, imo.

i am looking forward to black panther, ironman, and the avengers film coming out.

Actually, Batman Begins was a reboot of the Batman film franchise.  So it is not connected to the previous four films. Like you, I was never a big fan of the previous four films, I didn't think they portrayed the character that well.  The first film was good, the second one was ok, and the last two were just terrible.  The last one of the four, "Batman and Robin" was so bad that it killed the franchise and it took 8 years before the studio would okay another Batman film.  I loved Batman Begins and it was a great film to kick off the new series of films.  The sequel ("The Dark Knight") should be great since it has the same director and writers and cast behind it.

Also this summer "The Incredible Hulk" looks like it can be good.  They have new writers and cast and director behind this new film.  It's sorta like a new start for the Hulk series because it isn't really acknowledging anything from the previous film and the whole type of movie is going to be completely diferent from the first one.

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Actually, Batman Begins was a reboot of the Batman film franchise.  So it is not connected to the previous four films. Like you, I was never a big fan of the previous four films, I didn't think they portrayed the character that well.  The first film was good, the second one was ok, and the last two were just terrible.  The last one of the four, "Batman and Robin" was so bad that it killed the franchise and it took 8 years before the studio would okay another Batman film.  I loved Batman Begins and it was a great film to kick off the new series of films.  The sequel ("The Dark Knight") should be great since it has the same director and writers and cast behind it.

Also this summer "The Incredible Hulk" looks like it can be good.  They have new writers and cast and director behind this new film.  It's sorta like a new start for the Hulk series because it isn't really acknowledging anything from the previous film and the whole type of movie is going to be completely diferent from the first one.

Exactly my sentiments.  Batman Begins is light years away from the previous Batmans, so I don't consider it part of that series.  I feel like it's ranked up there with Spider-Man as far as best comic book movies go.  I was never a fan of Blade or the X-Men films though.

And for what it's worth, Hellboy wasn't bad; it exceeded my low expectations and has been pretty rewatchable on cable recently.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »

Offline Moneyshot

• Brad Stevens
That's a great new pic LarBrd33.  Here's the hi-def version: http://www.empireonline.com/images/cover/large/2231.jpg  It's cool because if you cover half his face it looks like he looks like he's given you an evil look, and if you cover the other side it looks like he's smiling at you. A great representation of his personality.  Here are some excerpts fro mthe article:

Christopher Nolan made it quite clear after he'd completed Batman Begin that he had no intention of making a sequel. But then, while shooting his next movie, The Prestige, something surprising happened: Nolan found himself replaying Batman Begins' final dialogue exchange in his head, the moment when good copper (my note: that's British talk for a policeman) Jim Gordon (Garay Oldman) talks of a criminal with "a taste for the theatrics" and hands Batman (Christian Bale) a playing card adorned with the smile-snarl face of a Joker. And Nolan found himself wanting to make a sequel, if only to see the Joker done his way.

"The way Batman Begins ended was intended not so much as sequel bait," Nolan insists, "but to create a level of excitement at the end of the movie. Ultimately, the sequel happened because we got caught up in that process of imagining how you would see the Joker go through the prism of what we did in the first film."

And how is the Joker seen through that prism? "Indescribable, really, Not to sound evasive - it actually is quite difficult to explain, but all I can really say is Heath's not doing any particular thing, he's inhabiting the character in very much the way I'd hoped from a psychological perspective. He really created something that I think is going to be quite terrifying."

Still, Ledger's more happy to talk about how he became The Joker - and we're not just talking about an hour in make-up, "It's a combination of reading all the comic books I could that were relevant to the script and then just closing my eyes and meditating on it. i sat around in a hotel room in London for about a month, locked myself away, formed a little diary and experimented with voices - it was important to try to find a somewhat iconic voice and laugh. I ended up landing more in the realm of a psychopath - someone with very little to no conscience towards his acts. he's just an absolute sociopath, a cold-blooded, mass murdering clown, and Chris has given me free rein. Which is fun, because there are no real boundaries to what the Joker would say or do. Nothing intimidates him, and everything is a big joke."

"Heath Ledger stunned me," continues Caine. "Jack played the clown as sort of a benign nasty clown - like a wicked uncle. Heath plays him like an absolutely maniacal murderous psychopath. You have never seen anything like it in your life. He is very, very scary. i turn up every few months or so and do a couple of bits, then go back to London. i had to do this bit where Batman and I watch a video which The Joker sends to threaten us. So I'd never seen him, and then he came on the television in the first rehearsal and I completely forgot my lines. I flipped, because it was so stunning, it was quite amazing. Wait until you see it, it's incredible."

Fans of the comic book will realise that what we'll be seeing here is a version more of the original Joker - the pure, cold hearted sociopath version - and the recent portrayals. of him as a deeply insane man. Not the Clown Prince of Crime, the rather more harmless prankster-bank-robber of the 60's, the Cesar Rmoero version if you like, which the Jack-Joker ran with for Burton's Batman.

"What the director has done," says Caine, "which is so clever, is that the Joker has left the make-up and just let it rot off. it is never renewed. He's got a big, wide mouth and it gradually almost looks like bad skin disease."

As a Batman fan this soudns amazing. July 18th can't come soon enough. Here's also a new pic of him from the cover of Wizard magazine that was released the other day:

He never looks the same an any two pics.

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
He's apparently got the same tailor as Craig Sager though.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 10:45:31 PM »

Offline MikeDfromNP

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • Rondologist

Man, I didn't even realize that they were making another Hulk movie. Kind of weird, really, considering that they just made one. The cast is fantastic, though. You know it is going to be good with Ed Norton as Bruce Banner. Liv Tyler as Betty? Nice. I'm a big Tim Roth and William Hurt fan, so I know I'll enjoy this one. Thanks for tipping me off, Moneyshot.

The first Tim Burton "Batman" was tolerable only because of Jack Nicholson. The other movies were terrible, with the exception of Phieffer's Catwoman performance. Turning teh Penguin into a monster was completely unnecessary. Batman Begins really had nothing to do with those at all. The fact that Burton had The Joker be the murderer of Wayne's parents (his own invention), and Begins had it according to the comic, should have tipped anyone who knew the story off. Not having a stupid rubber suit should have been another good tip.

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i hope he act a fool in the new flix...