Author Topic: Sullinger - "I'm going to be a Buckeye next year"  (Read 3499 times)

Sullinger - "I'm going to be a Buckeye next year"
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
"This isn't why I came here, to come in here and see my seniors in here crying. I came here to win a national championship."

"I'm a man of my word. I don't change my word and no one changes it for me. This is what I want."

Thad Matta
"Oh he's been telling me that all along. And I believe it. He told me, draw me up a contract, whatever you need to do. I believe him when he says it."

Well as a Buckeye fan I hope he stays.  Add him to Craft, Thomas, Buford, and the four 4* recruits Matta has coming in next year and the Buckeyes would have to be one of the favorites next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Sullinger - "I'm going to be a Buckeye next year"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yeah, that might all be emotions.  Kid just lost a tough game.  I would bet his decision will change when he sees how much the #2 player will get prior to the NBA changing the rookie pay scale v. after they re-negotiate the CBA.

I am a UNC Alum, and I really hope Barnes and Henson stay, however if the CBA gets changed or even rumored to change, I expect both to head to the NBA.

Sullinger is going to the NBA.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It would be great for college basketball that is for sure. Any time the top notch guys stay its good for college basketball.  Though, the way things have gone in the past, I don't know if it'll happen or not.  Greg Monroe said the same thing last year after he lost and he left.  I do think this is the year a lot of guys will stick around though with the lock out on its way.
do it

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am an OSU alum that lives here in Columbus. Sully has said he is returning pretty much all season. I fully expect him back at OSU next season..BTW I hope UNC thrashes UK.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
I am an OSU alum that lives here in Columbus. Sully has said he is returning pretty much all season. I fully expect him back at OSU next season..BTW I hope UNC thrashes UK.

I hope he does come back as well.  I hope all the underclassmen come back.  College basketball is better with stars.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Hopefully Matta is slightly more ethical than Tressel or Sullinger might not have any choice than come out. 

Hopefully Sullinger keeps his word.  He's sacrificing a lot by staying in school with the weak draft. 

Good post, CeltsAcumen

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
Hopefully Matta is slightly more ethical than Tressel or Sullinger might not have any choice than come out. 

Hopefully Sullinger keeps his word.  He's sacrificing a lot by staying in school with the weak draft. 

Good post, CeltsAcumen

He sacrifices more if he comes out and theres a lock out. Then he has a year with out being paid.
do it

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
His brother did graduate from OSU (another one went to OU I believe).  His family is fairly well off so he doesn't need the money in that regard.  He also has been saying all along he will be back and given the uncertainty in the NBA labor talks, it seems to make sense.  Though it could just be the emotion of the loss.  Time will tell, but I hope he comes back. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday

Good post, CeltsAcumen

He sacrifices more if he comes out and theres a lock out. Then he has a year with out being paid.

Yeah, as a Tarheel alum and fan, I am hoping this happens with Barnes, Henson and Zeller. 

Keep em in one more year so we can make another run at the title.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell

Good post, CeltsAcumen

Yeah, as a Tarheel alum and fan, I am hoping this happens with Barnes, Henson and Zeller. 

Keep em in one more year so we can make another run at the title.

I'm a Heels fan too and I do agree. I think Barnes and Zeller definitely stay.  I am not sure on Henson yet.  Barnes just seems like an honest, humble kid.  He talked about how he picked UNC because they had a good business school.  Doesn't sound like someone who had the intentions of leaving right away.  If they win it all this could all change though.
do it

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
All IMO, of course, but...

Sullinger is a very good (but undersized) college center right now. However, right now he would be just a fairly good NBA power forward. He needs to stay in college another year, maybe two. 

Sullinger needs to develop a good, consistent, 18 to 20 foot, jump shot to go with his low post power game. Ohio State is a better place place to do that than on an NBA lottery team. 

Sullinger with an 18-20' jump shot is another Karl Malone...a potential HOF player. Without it he's Paul Milsap plus 2", a shorter Al Jefferson with some defense...good, but never really great.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think what Sullinger needs to become an All Star NBA player is to work with an NBA training staff.  Beyond that, I don't think college is going to do much more for him from a basketball perspective.

Of course, I don't blame him from pulling out from the draft though.  With the risk of a lockout, he could have no place to play (at least in the US) next year.  So, instead he gets to the king of campus for another year, and make another run at a championship, rather than risking sitting around a year, racking up debt, because he is not being paid, and no longer gets room and board for free at school, and missing out on an experience which may help him to continue to mature as a person.