Author Topic: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?  (Read 106978 times)

Re: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it happens for some pretty logical reasons, and I'd encourage these posters to just keep posting. It's kind of like prison - if you just get one good zing out there on your first posts you'll forever command everyoens respect.

And if you show any hint of fear, Hobbsy will shiv you behind the Super Off-Topic Thread.  :)

I am expecting a report to come out next week.

"Roy H. knows where the bodies are buried"

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Personally, I don't get it.  I've only got 400 something posts to my name, but every single one of them is brilliant (OK, with the possible exception of this one).  

I don't know why I don't get tons of responses and boat loads of tommy points.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
BTW, I just realized literally every post from Page 2 on has been from multi-star posters.  We may not know for sure if people pay more attention to volume posters, but the question of whether volume posters pay more attention to a thread about volume posters paying attention has been pretty well settled.

EDIT:  Oops, except for the post right above mine.  And now below.  PICK UP THE PACE GUYS!

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Off topic: Does anyone ever notice on this board that posters usually tend to respond more to high-volume posters who they already know, even when the comments are redundant, rather than notice posts from others who they may not know? 

You're preaching to the choir.  I've been making valid points on this blog for 4 years now and only have 13 tommy points.  Most of my stuff gets ignored but someone who says we should trade Jermaine O'Neal, Glen Davis, and Avery Bradley for Dwight Howard will get 8 pages of comments.

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Personally, I don't get it.  I've only got 400 something posts to my name, but every single one of them is brilliant (OK, with the possible exception of this one).  

To be honest, because of exhaustion, I have not given as many TPs as of late.  

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
BTW, I just realized literally every post from Page 2 on has been from multi-star posters.  We may not know for sure if people pay more attention to volume posters, but the question of whether volume posters pay more attention to a thread about volume posters paying attention has been pretty well settled.

EDIT:  Oops, except for the post right above mine.  PICK UP THE PACE BUDDY!

I read this post.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Off topic: Does anyone ever notice on this board that posters usually tend to respond more to high-volume posters who they already know, even when the comments are redundant, rather than notice posts from others who they may not know? 

You're preaching to the choir.  I've been making valid points on this blog for 4 years now and only have 13 tommy points.  Most of my stuff gets ignored but someone who says we should trade Jermaine O'Neal, Glen Davis, and Avery Bradley for Dwight Howard will get 8 pages of comments.

For every 5 post you make, you get a TP.

It takes me 71 posts to get a TP. 

Just looking at the ratio.

Therefor, it looks like you have been getting a lot of positive feed back.  Usually 10 to 1 is considered high.   You are at 5 to 1. 

Good job.

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Now, that's a solid post.

EDIT: TP!

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I have almost 5,000 posts and no one ever listens to me.  ;D

TP!

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yes, but I think it has more to do with avatars and such then anything else

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43

AGREE
It is why I hardly post in here anymore. If you aren't browbeaten by a Mod who thinks he is God, insulted by a poster who says you don't know the sport, then you are ignored...
If you're insulted please report the post, we don't allow personal insults or attacks here. We don't catch everything though, drawing our attention to a post is the best way to resolve things.

Who said I was insulted. I was simply making an observation which I thought would be ignored but instead has sparked a lively conversation.  So obviously I cannot say my post was ignored now.

It is more of a trend that a number of other people have also observed.  Another way to think about it is the term "to ping pong" a conversation.  In large groups it is when two or three or four people dominate the conversation and generally (but not totally) ignore others.  They just bounce ideas back and fourth between the smaller more active speakers, or in this case posters, and I think that definitely tends to happen on this forum.

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
For me, I tend to pay attention to posts that either violently agree or disagree with my opinions. While I recognize the board names of those who are here all the time, I do not even pay attention to who it is when I am responding.

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

You get a point for about every 5 posts you have. That seems to be a pretty good average comparatively.

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I've noticed that on average, you can count on about 1 tommy point for every 10 posts, more or less.  I've noticed that I tend to get more TP's when my responses are Celtic-positive, and not so much when I get critical.  We are fans, first and foremost, so that makes sense. When I read a post that says something that I wanted to post but was just too lazy to write, or just forgot, that person always gets a TP from me. Or if something that requires a lot of organization and thought, or makes me think about something I had not considered, or just makes me LOL, they get my TP.  

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

You're preaching to the choir.  I've been making valid points on this blog for 4 years now and only have 13 tommy points.  Most of my stuff gets ignored but someone who says we should trade Jermaine O'Neal, Glen Davis, and Avery Bradley for Dwight Howard will get 8 pages of comments.

Let's say today is the completion of your 4th year.

You've made 67 posts in 1460 days. You make roughly 0.046 posts per day. There are, on average, 594.6 posts per day. In your 4 years, you've made roughly 0.0077% of all posts made.

While quality is always preferable over quantity, you gotta have some quantity if you're looking for consistent input back.

Another way to think about it is the term "to ping pong" a conversation.  In large groups it is when two or three or four people dominate the conversation and generally (but not totally) ignore others.  They just bounce ideas back and fourth between the smaller more active speakers, or in this case posters, and I think that definitely tends to happen on this forum.

Well, I don't have much experience with too many other forums (the only other forum I visit daily is about brewing beer, and I mostly lurk there and dream), but is this a rare thing? While I don't think it happens between 2 posters, it is as you say layers of groups.

I'd imagine this to be a pretty regular phenomena.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner