Author Topic: Rondo for Chris Paul in the Offseason  (Read 25326 times)

Re: Rondo for Chris Paul in the Offseason
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
nvm, I wouldn't do this trade, I remembered how much I hate chris paul.

You would love him if he was a Celtic.

I would never like someone who's tied up with the same agency as Lebron, Leon Rose I believe is his agent, WCC or something like that... besides Stern owns the Hornets so that isn't possible to happen.

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Would you give up Chris Paul for Rondo?  We would have to sweeten the deal.
Good chance Chris Paul decides to leave New Orleans before 2012.

I think next summer might be a bit too soon though after all the issues he had last summer. Probably be closer to the trade deadline when his frustration reaches boiling point and he lets the team know that he has no intention of re-signing there.

At that point, a trade package based around Rajon Rondo looks very good. It'll be hard for NOH to get a better offer than that.

No it wont, Chris will be coveted by almost every team in the league. He is a game changer. Other teams will come with better offers than just Rondo.
Such as?
I dont believe other teams place much trade value on Rondo. With respect to Rondo (a)he cant shoot the dang ball (b)his assist and steal numbers are inflated by the big three. I could be wrong but I find it highly unlikely that Rondo for Paul would be the best offer

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I think we would have to take on Okafor or Ariza as well and possibly throw in a first, but I'd be more then happy to do that as Chris Paul is significantly better then Rajon Rondo. 
It's probably not worth it if they have to take Okafor back in the deal. Too much dead weight in salary. Limits the team's ability to rebuild after the Big Three.

I'd be happy to add Trevor Ariza to the roster though.
maybe, but Okafor has 3 years left so it isn't all that long.  May miss the Dwight window, but I don't think he is coming here anyway (though would be much more likely with CP3 even with Emeka on the roster then without CP3).  Paul is significantly more attractive to future free agents then Rondo is, so it may delay it a year, but I'm ok with that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418

I think next summer might be a bit too soon though after all the issues he had last summer. Probably be closer to the trade deadline when his frustration reaches boiling point and he lets the team know that he has no intention of re-signing there.

At that point, a trade package based around Rajon Rondo looks very good. It'll be hard for NOH to get a better offer than that.

No it wont, Chris will be coveted by almost every team in the league. He is a game changer. Other teams will come with better offers than just Rondo.
Such as?
I dont believe other teams place much trade value on Rondo. With respect to Rondo (a)he cant shoot the dang ball (b)his assist and steal numbers are inflated by the big three. I could be wrong but I find it highly unlikely that Rondo for Paul would be the best offer
What type of offers do you think New Orleans will get for Chris Paul?

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Would you give up Chris Paul for Rondo?  We would have to sweeten the deal.

Such as?
What type of offers do you think New Orleans will get for Chris Paul?
I am not a front office GM I have no idea what players will be offered. All I know is that trading Chris Paul for Rondo is getting like 50 cents on the dollar at best.

Personally I believe Paul is a much much better player than Melo and look what Denver got in return days from the trade deadline.

Getting Paul for just Rondo is a fantasy.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:07:43 AM by FatjohnReturns »

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hard to say what Danny Ainge would do in this situation.
Chris's biggest downfall is his injury liability.

Rondos biggest downfall is after 4 years he still can't shoot and I can't really see him getting better at shooting.
Meanwhile the big 3 will disappear and so much scoring will be needed by Rondo to fill the void- at least for a season or two.

I think Ainge would gamble and do this deal depending how Rondo played in the playoffs this year.
He might think he'd get one more year out of the Big Three and a scoring/assisting PG like Chris Paul would be a better shot at a championship now that defenses are sagging off Rondo so much and he still can't hit shots that CP3 can hit all day.

Would be interesting when the time comes.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
My take on the offers New Orleans will get for Paul

Notes

(1) New Orleans will be looking for for a young established star or a blue chip prospect with star potential. They will not be interested in older veteran player because they are too far away from a title without Paul there.

(2) Chris Paul will very likely only re-sign with his new team if he feels that squad is capable of contending for a Championship immediately or sometime in the near future after the trade is completed.

Teams

Teams in red are the ones that I think can make a competitive offer for Chris Paul. Blue is a maybe. Italics is a no.

Atlanta  - They could offer a package based around Josh Smith or Al Horford.
Boston - Rajon Rondo
Charlotte - too far from title
Chicago - won't trade Rose
Cleveland - too far from title
Dallas - limited trade assets. If Beaubois blows up and becomes a 20ppg scorer, they could re-enter the discussion though.
Denver - lot of good players but a lack of star talent
Detroit - too far from title
Golden State - quality trade assets (S.Curry or M.Ellis) but they are too far from a title and Chris Paul is highly unlikely to sign a new contract there.
Houston - limited trade assets + fairly far from contention
Indiana - too far for title
LA Clippers - package based around Eric Gordon and D.Jordan
LA Lakers - Andrew Bynum
Memphis - Rudy Gay and Conley for Paul and Ariza? Is there enough on the roster for them to convince Paul to stay?
Miami - I don't think Riley parts with any of his Big Three this summer but if the club failed to win a title the following year, I can see him putting Wade or Bosh on the market. So not a real threat but there is a small possibility they get involved.
Milwaukee - too far from title, limited trade assets
Minnesota - too far from title
New Jersey - already have Deron Williams
New York - Carmelo Anthony?
Orlando Magic - limited trade assets
Oklahoma City Thunder - Russell Westbrook
Philadelphia 76ers - too far from title, limited trade assets
Phoenix Suns - limited trade assets
Portland Trailblazers - limited trade assets unless B.Roy or G.Oden can prove their health
Sacramento Kings - too far from title
San Antonio Spurs - Tony Parker. A very good trade offer but I am not convinced San An break up their core (when is the last time they traded a star player?) + I am unsure about their ability to convince Chris Paul to re-sign. So a maybe rather than a yes.
Toronto Raptors - too far from title
Utah Jazz - too far from title
Washington Wizards - too far from title

There is also next year's draft. The top of the draft seems a bit dodgy though. Kyrie Irving perhaps could be talented enough to convince the Hornets to part with Paul. Not convinced anyone else in the top five is a sure enough bet to do so. So one more team joins the "maybe" list after the draft dependent on how realistic a title challenge in the near future is for that team.

That is the type of trade market that I see for Chris Paul.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm with Jeff on this one - I worry about Paul's health.

However, I also worry about what's going on between Rondo's ears and always have - or in the case of last night in the final minute, the lack of what's going on between Rondo's ears.

And ask yourself this - what will Rondo's value be on the open market after a Chicago series? Anyone here think Rose won't destroy him?

I'd love to make this deal, but I'm not sure the Hornets would.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am not one to jump on the bandwagon kicking the guy when he is down (hmmm, what other cliches can I use), but I think Danny will be looking hard to do something like this, and I don't think it has anything to do with his recent play.

I think Danny has been relatively soured on Rondo for a few years now.  Between the quirky personality, the inconsistent speed at which he plays (I won't call it lack of effort, but he definitely is not going all out all the time), and of course his lack of a shot, I just don't think he is Ainge's type of player.

We have heard rumors about him trying to move him in the past, and much like with Perk, I think there was some smoke there.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think he recognizes Rondo's value on this team, and understands he is a unique talent with a lot of value.  I just don't think he is all that excited about the prospects of rebuilding (reloading, whatever you want to call it) with Rondo as a centerpiece.  I think he knows that the shine is going to come off quickly when he is not playing with superstars, and his weaknesses will become more and more obvious as he is asked to both carry the load, and go further out of his comfort zone.

That is why I think he will be shopping him hard this summer and up until the trade deadline next year, hoping to land a guy like Paul, before Rondo loses his security blankets, and his value drops as he becomes more exposed. 

Now, I don't think he will just give Rondo away, but if he can find a way to flip him for a more well rounded player, who might be more suited to being the primary star on a team (and even with the weak knees, Paul certainly qualifies), he will be aggressive pursuing it. 

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
the problem in trading for chris paul is he will make 17+ million in 2012 if he played through his contract, while rondo is earning 11 million in 2012 that would leave room for Dwight, how much will he make if he signed on to an extension ? even if the new CBA will lower the max salary, since we already have a PG , we should work on getting a BIG.

Btw, if I were to choose if it's absolutely inevitible
that Rondo will be traded I would much rather have Deron Williams.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, we would need to at least throw in a first or two (the Clippers pick certainly comes in play here), but if Paul pulls a Melo, I think they would jump at the chance to flip him for another young, high profile PG, who is cheaper and locked up for a while.

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

And ask yourself this - what will Rondo's value be on the open market after a Chicago series? Anyone here think Rose won't destroy him?

Rose might destroy him, but if Rondo's healthy it's far from the done deal you imagine. How often has Rose ever had huge games against Rondo? Once every 4-5 games?

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »

Offline Lord_of_the17Rings

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
the problem in trading for chris paul is he will make 17+ million in 2012 if he played through his contract, while rondo is earning 11 million in 2012 that would leave room for Dwight, how much will he make if he signed on to an extension ? even if the new CBA will lower the max salary, since we already have a PG , we should work on getting a BIG.

Btw, if I were to choose if it's absolutely inevitible
that Rondo will be traded I would much rather have Deron Williams.

I think banking on Howard to come here is a bit wishful thinking.  I don't see it.  If he doesn't re-sign with Orlando, all accounts are he would want to go to a warm weather - glitzy city (LA much?).  C's will not be the desired destination in '12 that they have been the last several years with the Big 3 headed towards the horizon.

As for trading Rondo, I would be fully in support of Danny shopping him around this offseason.  Does he add great value to this particular team - yes, because the only thing he likes do do/and can do on offense is pass, and he happens to be surrounded by 3 of the greatest scorers in the game.  I agree with what others have said - you will see his value diminish greatly post big 3.  Also, to say look how good Rondo is because of how bad we were when Nate had to run the point is a tough argument.  A. Nate is not a point guard.  And B. He is not a very good player in the first place.  I'm not saying Rondo isn't a good PG, but I think people would be surprised if you were to replace him with a Mike Conley, Felton, or even DJ Augustine (we're talking tier 3 PG's here), I don't think you would see a significant drop-off in the Celtics success.

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Who in their right mind would do that trade?  Surely the Hornets could get a package of young talent more like what the Nuggets got for Melo.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I don't think danny would be afraid to trade rondo if the deal came up. Hell, he traded perk and he considered trading rondo for tyreke evans a couple years back. And I really think Paul is an upgrade to rondo. He's just as good as a passer and can actually score. all defense too I remember. But I don't think NO will part with him unless he demands it... and even if he does, I don't think Stern would let him come to the celtics.

Become Legendary.