Author Topic: Tony Allen...wow!  (Read 21929 times)

Re: Tony Allen...wow!
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He's returning to his pre-injury form but with 3 more years of experience.

He looks comfortable and he is a player prone to many mistakes when he doubts himself.

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Tony mania has taken over Memphis. The media, the fans, and teammates love him. Even the owner was caught wearing a Tony Allen shirt last night. I think it is fair to call him the *emotional leader* of the team. Pretty much everyone on the Grizz have acknowledged as much. I always liked Tony, so I'm happy to see him doing well (as long as it is not against the Cs). As a side note, Powe is doing well for himself in Memphis too. I like watching the Grizz. They are a scrappy team that leaves it all out on the floor every night, and now they are really starting to play some unselfish team ball as well.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He looks comfortable and he is a player prone to many mistakes when he doubts himself.
And he's way more efficient now.  His PER is way up and his turnovers are way down.

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Tony mania has taken over Memphis. The media, the fans, and teammates love him. Even the owner was caught wearing a Tony Allen shirt last night. I think it is fair to call him the *emotional leader* of the team. Pretty much everyone on the Grizz have acknowledged as much. I always liked Tony, so I'm happy to see him doing well (as long as it is not against the Cs). As a side note, Powe is doing well for himself in Memphis too. I like watching the Grizz. They are a scrappy team that leaves it all out on the floor every night, and now they are really starting to play some unselfish team ball as well.

^ this
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

And he's way more efficient now.  His PER is way up and his turnovers are way down.
His turnovers are down about a fourth and he's hitting a few more free throws, he's always been a relatively efficient scorer so the minor increases added up.

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm happy for TA.

A perfect scenario this post-season is that LA will somehow face both MEM and OKC out West. They'll have to deal with TA, Powe, and Perk/Nate before then dealing with us.

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Here's a local blog about the Grizzlies and Tony Allen:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/mar/31/allens-grit-powering-griz-to-victories/

I think what he means to the Grizz goes beyond his stats.  He brings the energy and the effort every night. 

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/mar/31/allens-grit-powering-griz-to-victories/

I think what he means to the Grizz goes beyond his stats.  He brings the energy and the effort every night. 
Somehow the word "grit" has become exceedingly popular over the course of the last year. It's annoying.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Somehow the word "grit" has become exceedingly popular over the course of the last year. It's annoying.
I blame the remake of "True Grit".

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Still not a massive "wow" change in his per-36 numbers for the most part.  A couple more points, a bump in steals and reduction in rebounds, a slight reduction in TO's as well, but pretty much nearly the exact same production.

I'm still not feeling the "wow" about TA's season in the sense that I'm not surprised.  Surely it seems that he's proving to be worth that modest contract he received, though.  And that's not something very many NBA players can claim.

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Cameron (Illinois)

Chances Tony Allen gets awarded to an all defensive team?

John Hollinger  (2:04 PM)

In my mind he's a no-brainer for the first team, and would have challenged Howard for Defensive Player of the Year if Hollins had played him all year. I think he'll safely make second team at worst, but we've seen some weird all-defense votes the last couple years.

Spin: Despite the higher raw numbers, Allen's current season is almost totally in line with his career numbers on a per-minute basis. The shot attempts, percentages, and (naturally) the points scored: they're all the same on a per-minute basis. The only thing that's actually much different is his steals. For his career, Allen averages 2.3 for every 36 minutes. This year? He's averaging 3.3.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Happy to see T. Allen and Powe playing well but will always have a disdain for Memphis after they gifted Gasol to LA.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I hope this link works. It is a local news story about Tony Allen Fever in Memphis.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/memphis-grizzlies-fans-catch-tony-allen-fever-rpt-20110331
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:26:19 AM by Jon Niednagel »
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I hope this link works. It is a local news story about Tony Allen Fever in Memphis.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/memphis-grizzlies-fans-catch-tony-allen-fever-rpt-20110331

LOL, the best part of it the story is this, and you need to watch the video to truly appreciate it.

While he appreciates the shirts and the new fans, Allen says he's just a guy who loves basketball, his family, music, and food.

"Most definitely, my pregame meal is salmon and mashed potatoes… if I don't have that meal, I don't play good."

I definitely did not predict TA becoming the Grizzlies most popular player with the fans, but it seems to be the case.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:01:26 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

LOL, the best part of it the story is this, and you need to watch the video to truly appreciate it.

While he appreciates the shirts and the new fans, Allen says he's just a guy who loves basketball, his family, music, and food.

"Most definitely, my pregame meal is salmon and mashed potatoes… if I don't have that meal, I don't play good."

I definitely did not predict TA becoming the Grizzlies most popular player with the fans, but it seems to be the case.
It's really sad how ignorant most Celtic fans were when it came to Tony Allen. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale