Author Topic: Tony Allen...wow!  (Read 21924 times)

Re: Tony Allen...wow!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Did anyone notice TA's 3 airballs in the game he played in BOS not too long ago?  They all missed the rim by more than 3 feet each.

Z-Bo carries MEM, not TA LOL.

They play through Z-bo as they've always done. The difference this year with the Grizzlies is Tony Allen. He brings new dimension to the team. An edge, a swagger that the team was lacking last season. His energy and enthusiasm brought life to an ailing franchise. Tony's years with the Celtics and especially playing along side the Big3 humbled as player. He learned the nuances of the game, what it takes to the win. To sacrifices stats for the greater good of the team. Tony Allen is the ultimate team player.

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Did anyone notice TA's 3 airballs in the game he played in BOS not too long ago?  They all missed the rim by more than 3 feet each.

They play through Z-bo as they've always done. The difference this year with the Grizzlies is Tony Allen. He brings new dimension to the team. An edge, a swagger that the team was lacking last season. His energy and enthusiasm brought life to an ailing franchise. Tony's years with the Celtics and especially playing along side the Big3 humbled as player. He learned the nuances of the game, what it takes to the win. To sacrifices stats for the greater good of the team. Tony Allen is the ultimate team player.
Satire?

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Satire?
Truth?

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Satire?
Truth?
Would the ultimate team player complain about how the Big 3 he learned so much from overshadowed him?

Plus what stats is he sacrificing?

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Satire?
Truth?
Would the ultimate team player complain about how the Big 3 he learned so much from overshadowed him?

a slip of the tongue. We've all had D'oh moments. If you watched him or the grizzlies some maybe you'll understand. Tony is playing some great team ball.

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Satire?
Truth?

a slip of the tongue. We've all had D'oh moments. If you watched him or the grizzlies some maybe you'll understand. Tony is playing some great team ball.
I don't see where you draw humble, ultimate team player, and learning from the Big 3 (who he said were holding him back) from his play.

Tony seems to be the same guy, he just is getting more minutes for a team that fits his offensive skill set better. (he's always played better with more minutes for his career)

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I want to premise this by saying that I don't necessarily want him back, but I'm happy he's having success in Memphis.  Not sure if you saw his latest stat line in a win against Indiana, but here they are:

Pts: 19
Reb: 11 (4 Off + 7 Def)
Ast: 6
Stl: 6
Blk: 1
Fgm/Fga: 7/14 shooting
+/-: +15

Now, that's a monster game!  He's been having some great games since he's been inserted into the starting line-up.  Although his overall stats don't look that impressive this year, much of that has to do with the fact that he hardly played at the beginning of the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that Memphis started playing really well after he became a starter.

Yeah thats a nice line for him, good for him...Too bad he still can't be a consistent player.

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Did anyone notice TA's 3 airballs in the game he played in BOS not too long ago?  They all missed the rim by more than 3 feet each.

Satire?
Truth?

I don't see where you draw humble, ultimate team player, and learning from the Big 3 (who he said were holding him back) from his play.

Tony seems to be the same guy, he just is getting more minutes for a team that fits his offensive skill set better. (he's always played better with more minutes for his career)

since you don't watch, I'll give an observation. Tony is getting his points with the flow of the offense. That's what I mean he is humbled. I will admit that it took couple of benching early from Coach Hollins to get it through his thick skull. Tony ate some humble pie watching rookies play over him from the bench. He made the adjustment. Tony is better for it, and the Grizziles are better for it.

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
since you don't watch, I'll give an observation.
I'm curious to how you know which NBA teams I watch and don't watch.

Just because I disagree with your assessment of a player, doesn't mean I haven't watched his team play. I don't watch every Grizzlies game, I'm a Celtics fan not a Grizz fan. But I've seen them play quite a bit, and I've watched a fair number of games since Tony has been inserted into the rotation.

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Just because I disagree with your assessment of a player, doesn't mean I haven't watched his team play. I don't watch every Grizzlies game, I'm a Celtics fan not a Grizz fan. But I've seen them play quite a bit, and I've watched a fair number of games since Tony has been inserted into the rotation.

Give credit where credit is due. Tony Allen has been instrumental to the Grizzlies success this season. The Fans are chanting his name at the games for crying out loud.

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Give credit where credit is due. Tony Allen has been instrumental to the Grizzlies success this season. The Fans are chanting his name at the games for crying out loud.
I'm not sure what sort of credit he's due from me. We're not going to see eye to eye if you're willing to call him "humble" and "the ultimate team player". Those are traits I don't think you can really see on the court.

I think I've been reasonable with my thoughts on Tony. Here is what I've said about his role on the Grizz this year:
]Exactly.

If you look at his game log its as up and down as ever, similar to how the grizzlies have played as of late.
He's a better 2 guard for Memphis than Mayo is, they have enough players taking bad shots. Instead they get some defense out of the position instead.

When he plays more than 20 minutes the Grizzlies are 15-10. Overall he is still very up and down, but the Griz are better than most give them credit for.

They're still just 7-6 since the All-Star break, and right now are really up and down. Getting blown out, and then playing tough games. They are a hard team to read.
Plus he went to a team that runs more than the C's, doesn't require discipline on the offensive end, and doesn't pass all that much.

Definitely a better fit there.

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

I'm not sure what sort of credit he's due from me. We're not going to see eye to eye if you're willing to call him "humble" and "the ultimate team player". Those are traits I don't think you can really see on the court.

I think I've been reasonable with my thoughts on Tony. Here is what I've said about his role on the Grizz this year:

If you look at his game log its as up and down as ever, similar to how the grizzlies have played as of late.

OK Maybe I overdid with the praises. ;D Z-Bo is their leader on the court. Tony is their emotional leader.  ;D too much

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

OK Maybe I overdid with the praises. ;D Z-Bo is their leader on the court. Tony is their emotional leader.  ;D too much
Probably, but oh well. I do wish Gay was healthy, I'd like to see a full strength Grizz team scare the pants off of SAS/LAL/Dallas.

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 06:27:09 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Love that hes doing well, and glad a team like Memphis can not only get solid D from him but figure him into the offense as well.

Could be compared to BBD if he started the last half of the season for us. Although hes already more consistent and reliable off the bench then TA was, I'm sure his stats on a given night would be equally impressive.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
TA with another great game tonight, 21 points/9 boards/4 assists/3 steals/1 block/1 turnover.

This quote by Steph Curry says alot about how important TA is for them too.

"Tony Allen's out there anchoring the defense," Curry said. "They all work together and move well."

Grizzlies are now 42-33, and realistically could move up the the 6th spot, as they are only 1 1/2 games back of the Blazers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:40:50 AM by Big_Matt34 »