Author Topic: Tony Allen...wow!  (Read 21888 times)

Re: Tony Allen...wow!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The last three months, when he has gotten all of his starts, and averaged 25 mpg over that time, the Grizz have gone 24-14.
Actually, to be precise, he has started the last 13 games, and the Grizzlies are 7-6 in those. So apparently their success doesn't seem to be related to inserting TA into the starting lineup.

You just picking the last 13 games is cherry picking, he has started 21 on the year, and they are 13-8 in those games. And like i said, since he has been getting 20+ mpg starting in January, the team has gone 22-12 with him playing, 2-2 without him. And he has been a big part of their success, ask any of the 35 Grizzly fans.
I am picking the games "since he was inserted in the starting lineup", because that's the statement I was addressing. He's obviously been an occasional starter before that.

There is a 14-game chunk over the period you're talking about where he either didn't play, or was a bit contributor limited to less than 20 minutes per game -- and the Grizzlies still went 10-4.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:28:18 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Some people will never be able to look at TA objectively.  Too many injured seasons as a Celtic.

He's obviously not an all star that will consistently score 20 every night, but he's still one of the best defenders at the 2 in the game along with the capability of being a rather big offensive spark.  Even in games where he's not doing a whole lot offensively he always brings that high energy and if he can manage to stay away from injuries for a while I think he'll find his niche.
Plus he went to a team that runs more than the C's, doesn't require discipline on the offensive end, and doesn't pass all that much.

Definitely a better fit there.
He really needs to be on a defensive team with a good point guard that does nothing but run the break.

I don't think his game log looks all that bad.  In the past 2 months he's scored above 16 points in 8 games in which they went 6-2.  In 5 of those games he scored at least 20 including a 2pt loss to NY, 2 wins over the Thunder, and a win against the Spurs.  In those games he shot 39-56 (70%).

His offense is still a little up and down but I'd say he's more up than down (12-21 games he scored in double digits)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Some people will never be able to look at TA objectively.  Too many injured seasons as a Celtic.

He's obviously not an all star that will consistently score 20 every night, but he's still one of the best defenders at the 2 in the game along with the capability of being a rather big offensive spark.  Even in games where he's not doing a whole lot offensively he always brings that high energy and if he can manage to stay away from injuries for a while I think he'll find his niche.
Plus he went to a team that runs more than the C's, doesn't require discipline on the offensive end, and doesn't pass all that much.

He really needs to be on a defensive team with a good point guard that does nothing but run the break.

I don't think his game log looks all that bad.  In the past 2 months he's scored above 16 points in 8 games in which they went 6-2.  In 5 of those games he scored at least 20 including a 2pt loss to NY, 2 wins over the Thunder, and a win against the Spurs.  In those games he shot 39-56 (70%).

His offense is still a little up and down but I'd say he's more up than down (12-21 games he scored in double digits)

Actually, I think part of the reason he fits in well is that Memphis is not a particularly disciplined defensive team.  They don't run nearly as tight a system, which allows him to be more of a lockdown guy than he was in Boston.

In Boston's system, it was more about positioning, and proper rotations, and those are not Tony's strengths.  In Memphis, they are much happier leaving him on an island, and letting him do his own thing. 

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Actually, I think part of the reason he fits in well is that Memphis is not a particularly disciplined defensive team.  They don't run nearly as tight a system, which allows him to be more of a lockdown guy than he was in Boston.

In Boston's system, it was more about positioning, and proper rotations, and those are not Tony's strengths.  In Memphis, they are much happier leaving him on an island, and letting him do his own thing. 

Perhaps but he's got such quick hands that he should be able to gamble like Rondo does without having no one to watch his back.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
So im going to the game against Memphis on Wednesday.  Should I give him a standing "O"? 

yea, he was a part of that championship squad, he deserves it

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
WOW, it is. Tony & Zbo carrying the Grizzlies into the playoffs.

23point 9/10 FG 5 steals, 1 block, and 1 steal. Here is the shocker 1 Turnover.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Tony Allen proves that hes a fringe all-star player when hes a starter.

Hes carrying a team into the playoffs.

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tony Allen may have saved my fantasy season.

(Yes, Tony Allen is on my fantasy team, since I'm such a fan.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Tony Allen may have saved my fantasy season.

(Yes, Tony Allen is on my fantasy team, since I'm such a fan.)

congrats.  ;D

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

In the last 1:09 with the game basically on the line, he had 7 points, 2 boards, a steal, and blocked Dice on the possible game tying jumper. He  was dominant tonight on both sides of the ball.

I miss his crazy self.

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

In the last 1:09 with the game basically on the line, he had 7 points, 2 boards, a steal, and blocked Dice on the possible game tying jumper. He  was dominant tonight on both sides of the ball.

I miss his crazy self.

yes I watched the final 5minutes. He was all over the court. Blocking shots, stealing the ball, hitting a jumper, and knocking down clutch Free Throws,

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I miss Tony. :-[  I said when he didn't re-sign that we were going to miss out on Tony's best years, his prime years.  We could have had him for $3 mil, he just wanted the extra year.  We might not have traded Perk if Tony was here.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I miss Tony. :-[  I said when he didn't re-sign that we were going to miss out on Tony's best years, his prime years.  We could have had him for $3 mil, he just wanted the extra year.  We might not have traded Perk if Tony was here.

I think Tony is the exact same player he always was.  Still has the big time highlight plays, and the big time boneheaded plays.

When he plays starters minutes, it gives him more of a chance to even each of the extremes out, but basically, he is who he is, and frankly, I am glad he is not on this team.  The last thing we need right now is another trick or treat player.  I am glad he found a team where he is a good fit, but this was a move which worked out for everyone involved.

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I think Tony is the exact same player he always was.  Still has the big time highlight plays, and the big time boneheaded plays.

When he plays starters minutes, it gives him more of a chance to even each of the extremes out, but basically, he is who he is, and frankly, I am glad he is not on this team.  The last thing we need right now is another trick or treat player.  I am glad he found a team where he is a good fit, but this was a move which worked out for everyone involved.

He's not the same player.  He seems to be a more mature player.  The main problem with him was turnovers and he's been pretty good this year in that regard.  He was a different player last year when he was here as well.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Did anyone notice TA's 3 airballs in the game he played in BOS not too long ago?  They all missed the rim by more than 3 feet each.

Z-Bo carries MEM, not TA LOL.