Author Topic: Tony Allen...wow!  (Read 21926 times)

Re: Tony Allen...wow!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Memphis is playing .500 ball since he became a starter which, if anything, is worse than their overall record.

The last three months, when he has gotten all of his starts, and averaged 25 mpg over that time, the Grizz have gone 24-14. To be fair, he missed 4 games during which they went 2-2, so they are 22-12 with him over the last 3 months. If you wanna just include his starts, they are 13-8, certainly better than .500.

And his numbers as a starter? 13.5 ppg/3.5 rpg/1.8 apg/2.3 spg/0.8 bpg/and only 1.5 TO's a game, 53% FG, 79% from the line. And he has a PER of 18.1, which is very good, especially considering PER doesnt measure defense, his best asset. He's been very good for them, pretty darn consistant, and has been taking care of the ball, quite a feat for him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:36:42 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I want to premise this by saying that I don't necessarily want him back, but I'm happy he's having success in Memphis.  Not sure if you saw his latest stat line in a win against Indiana, but here they are:

Pts: 19
Reb: 11 (4 Off + 7 Def)
Ast: 6
Stl: 6
Blk: 1
Fgm/Fga: 7/14 shooting
+/-: +15

Now, that's a monster game!  He's been having some great games since he's been inserted into the starting line-up.  Although his overall stats don't look that impressive this year, much of that has to do with the fact that he hardly played at the beginning of the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that Memphis started playing really well after he became a starter.

I am not sure what the wow is all about. He's been doing all the time with the Celtics -- he'll string together 2 good games, followed by 3 unremarkable ones. A quick look at his latest endeavors with the Grizzlies reveal no changes in this trend.

Memphis is playing .500 ball since he became a starter which, if anything, is worse than their overall record.
Exactly.

If you look at his game log its as up and down as ever, similar to how the grizzlies have played as of late.

T.A. has started 21 games this season.  I'm not sure if he has started all of the last 21 games, but they are 13-8 during that span.  That's not exactly .500 ball.  Pretty solid for the Grizz.  His numbers might be up and down, but remember that he is in the line up because of his tough defense. Overall, he seems to have been playing really well and good enough that he's getting more minutes at the 2 spot than O.J. Mayo.
He's a better 2 guard for Memphis than Mayo is, they have enough players taking bad shots. Instead they get some defense out of the position instead.

When he plays more than 20 minutes the Grizzlies are 15-10. Overall he is still very up and down, but the Griz are better than most give them credit for.

They're still just 7-6 since the All-Star break, and right now are really up and down. Getting blown out, and then playing tough games. They are a hard team to read.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Some real debbie downers here.......Let a guy have flaws for goodness sakes!

His offense has been great, fg% etc.  His turnovers are minimal.  His defense continues to be good. His steal rate must be very close to top of the league.  And he had a great rebounding performance in the OP's game.  He's still working on offensive consistency (defensive consistency is there) and he's not an all-star.  So what?

Considering his horrible injury I just couldn't be happier for him.

Wow just means good game.  Let's not criticize the OP for responding to a great performance.  He did have a few games like this as a Celtic, as those with a long memory may remember...right before his big injury.

Keep it up Tony...and thanks for the effort and towel waving while you were a Celtic..

Go Green!

Hoping Tony and Battier can make Kobe's life miserable if they meet in the playoffs...

Disagree with above post.  His turnover rate has been excellently low....

I think the problem is that the insinuation a lot of us read into this praise (whether it is meant or not) is that the C's made a mistake letting him go.  

There are a lot of us who predicted Tony would put up numbers like this in a different system that allowed him to be a little...looser with the ball.  

That doesn't change the fact that he was not a good fit for this incarnation of the C's, and was never a guy Doc felt truly comfortable with as the first wing off the bench.  

I think he is a very talented player, but I also do not think he is a very consistent player, or a very flexible player.  He is pretty good at what he does, and when he is on a team that need his skills, he can be valuable.  That wasn't the case with the C's.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell

The last three months, when he has gotten all of his starts, and averaged 25 mpg over that time, the Grizz have gone 24-14. If you wanna just include his starts, they are 13-8, certainly better than .500.

And his numbers as a starter? 13.5 ppg/3.5 rpg/1.8 apg/2.3 spg/0.8 bpg/and only 1.5 TO's a game, 53% FG, 79% from the line. And he has a PER of 18.1, which is very good, especially considering PER doesnt measure defense, his best asset. He's been very good for them, pretty darn consistant, and has been taking care of the ball, quite a feat for him.
I mean 25 mpg right?

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Some real debbie downers here.......Let a guy have flaws for goodness sakes!
That this is best directed to the original poster.

Pretty much everyone was aware of TA's flaws while he was here, and was happy with the positives he brought. He has always been a serviceable player, and hasn't turned into a world-beater in one game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The last three months, when he has gotten all of his starts, and averaged 25 mpg over that time, the Grizz have gone 24-14.
Actually, to be precise, he has started the last 13 games, and the Grizzlies are 7-6 in those. So apparently their success doesn't seem to be related to inserting TA into the starting lineup.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
The last three months, when he has gotten all of his starts, and averaged 25 mpg over that time, the Grizz have gone 24-14.
Actually, to be precise, he has started the last 13 games, and the Grizzlies are 7-6 in those. So apparently their success doesn't seem to be related to inserting TA into the starting lineup.

You just picking the last 13 games is cherry picking, he has started 21 on the year, and they are 13-8 in those games. And like i said, since he has been getting 20+ mpg starting in January, the team has gone 22-12 with him playing, 2-2 without him. And he has been a big part of their success, ask any of the 35 Grizzly fans.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
We'll meet Tony on Wednesday, but I can guarantee that he ain't gonna have a game like this against us.

Semi-related, but Big Al's been putting up 26/12 with 2.5 assists and 2.4 blocks since the all-star break.

Hey, what are Gerald Green's numbers these days?

Not impressed!

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=RUS&PlayerID=74684&AmNotSure=1

Your not impressed with 13pts, 4reb, 0.5blk, 1.3stl per game, on 25 minutes per game?

I think those are pretty nice numbers... what do you want him to average?

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Some people will never be able to look at TA objectively.  Too many injured seasons as a Celtic.

He's obviously not an all star that will consistently score 20 every night, but he's still one of the best defenders at the 2 in the game along with the capability of being a rather big offensive spark.  Even in games where he's not doing a whole lot offensively he always brings that high energy and if he can manage to stay away from injuries for a while I think he'll find his niche.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Some people will never be able to look at TA objectively.  Too many injured seasons as a Celtic.

He's obviously not an all star that will consistently score 20 every night, but he's still one of the best defenders at the 2 in the game along with the capability of being a rather big offensive spark.  Even in games where he's not doing a whole lot offensively he always brings that high energy and if he can manage to stay away from injuries for a while I think he'll find his niche.
Plus he went to a team that runs more than the C's, doesn't require discipline on the offensive end, and doesn't pass all that much.

Definitely a better fit there.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I want to premise this by saying that I don't necessarily want him back, but I'm happy he's having success in Memphis.  Not sure if you saw his latest stat line in a win against Indiana, but here they are:

Now, that's a monster game!  He's been having some great games since he's been inserted into the starting line-up.  Although his overall stats don't look that impressive this year, much of that has to do with the fact that he hardly played at the beginning of the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that Memphis started playing really well after he became a starter.

I'd take him back any day. I never understood the over-the-top criticism for a role player that came off of the bench. He's a solid all-around palyer.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 05:04:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd take him back any day. I never understood the over-the-top criticism for a role player that came off of the bench. He's a solid all-around palyer.

Before Green came Danny and Doc would have as well. They still probably would but his role would be smaller.

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
In place of who?  Sasha P is about the only one I can think of.  I definitely like all the starters plus West, Davis, Green and even Arroyo (we need a PG).  I am not dissing Tony but I don't see how he would make us better right now.

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
wow, pay a little compliment towards Tony at your own risk on this board. So much continued antipathy toward the guy. 3 to 1 negative to positive posts.  I don't necessarily miss Tony, but felt he made some really good contributions, had some incredible games, yes some stinkers too.  Given how he started in all that Chicago trouble, it is quite amazing to me that he not only still plays in the NBA but starts. Got to give him credit for apparently getting his personal act together. Usually that does not happen.

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
In place of who?  Sasha P is about the only one I can think of.  I definitely like all the starters plus West, Davis, Green and even Arroyo (we need a PG).  I am not dissing Tony but I don't see how he would make us better right now.

Wafer? I don't think you can really argue that he or Sasha are better players than TA.