Author Topic: Tony Allen...wow!  (Read 21928 times)

Tony Allen...wow!
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
I want to premise this by saying that I don't necessarily want him back, but I'm happy he's having success in Memphis.  Not sure if you saw his latest stat line in a win against Indiana, but here they are:

Pts: 19
Reb: 11 (4 Off + 7 Def)
Ast: 6
Stl: 6
Blk: 1
Fgm/Fga: 7/14 shooting
+/-: +15

Now, that's a monster game!  He's been having some great games since he's been inserted into the starting line-up.  Although his overall stats don't look that impressive this year, much of that has to do with the fact that he hardly played at the beginning of the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that Memphis started playing really well after he became a starter.

Re: Tony Allen...wow!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Glad to see him succeed. I always new he was a capable player, but he wasn't going to find the minutes here. He needs big minutes to get through all his brain farts. In short minutes Tony is pretty much just a screw up.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
He is as up-and-down as ever.  I can't say that I agree with characterizing his performance as "successful."  He hasn't changed.  Some big stat games to tease mixed with low performance/low minute outings.

His inconsistency and weaknesses show up more as he plays more.  His coach seems to be sticking him in there and then seeing how it goes, either giving the hook or riding him for a while.  He will always be at his best/most focused as a 15 minute/game guy in a specific, limited, defensive role.  He is surely not a player that can be counted on for more than that.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So im going to the game against Memphis on Wednesday.  Should I give him a standing "O"? 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Semi-related, but Big Al's been putting up 26/12 with 2.5 assists and 2.4 blocks since the all-star break.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
We'll meet Tony on Wednesday, but I can guarantee that he ain't gonna have a game like this against us.

Semi-related, but Big Al's been putting up 26/12 with 2.5 assists and 2.4 blocks since the all-star break.

Hey, what are Gerald Green's numbers these days?

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
We'll meet Tony on Wednesday, but I can guarantee that he ain't gonna have a game like this against us.

Not impressed!

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=RUS&PlayerID=74684&AmNotSure=1
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I'm sure TA will get a warm reception at the Garden on WED; first trip back since leaving.

But we already know what Big Al is capable of; TA's stats aren't expected.

Anyways regarding TA; I saw 2 of his "big" games this year and most of his points were fast break or left open/poor defending in the half court set.  He's not exactly breaking ankles and lighting it up like a true bona fide scorer.
I'm happy to see him doing well, but at the same time I don't feel like we let one go.  As they say, somebody has to get the stats on a bad team.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I want to premise this by saying that I don't necessarily want him back, but I'm happy he's having success in Memphis.  Not sure if you saw his latest stat line in a win against Indiana, but here they are:

Now, that's a monster game!  He's been having some great games since he's been inserted into the starting line-up.  Although his overall stats don't look that impressive this year, much of that has to do with the fact that he hardly played at the beginning of the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that Memphis started playing really well after he became a starter.

I am not sure what the wow is all about. He's been doing all the time with the Celtics -- he'll string together 2 good games, followed by 3 unremarkable ones. A quick look at his latest endeavors with the Grizzlies reveal no changes in this trend.

Memphis is playing .500 ball since he became a starter which, if anything, is worse than their overall record.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser

I am not sure what the wow is all about. He's been doing all the time with the Celtics -- he'll string together 2 good games, followed by 3 unremarkable ones. A quick look at his latest endeavors with the Grizzlies reveal no changes in this trend.

Memphis is playing .500 ball since he became a starter which, if anything, is worse than their overall record.

The "wow" is that I wasn't expecting numbers like that from T.A.  We're used to seeing that from Rondo, but not from him.  6 steals is impressive for anyone.  Add that to the rest of his work that game, makes it a "wow" game for him. 

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Exactly.

If you look at his game log its as up and down as ever, similar to how the grizzlies have played as of late.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Sorry to pour water on the fire of praise, but Tony still can't shoot, turns the ball over a great deal, and makes very poor decisions.

He'll forever be known as "turnover Tony" in my books, but I'm happy he had a good regular season game.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Some real debbie downers here.......Let a guy have flaws for goodness sakes!

His offense has been great, fg% etc.  His turnovers are minimal.  His defense continues to be good. His steal rate must be very close to top of the league.  And he had a great rebounding performance in the OP's game.  He's still working on offensive consistency (defensive consistency is there) and he's not an all-star.  So what?

Considering his horrible injury I just couldn't be happier for him.

Wow just means good game.  Let's not criticize the OP for responding to a great performance.  He did have a few games like this as a Celtic, as those with a long memory may remember...right before his big injury.

Keep it up Tony...and thanks for the effort and towel waving while you were a Celtic..

Go Green!

Hoping Tony and Battier can make Kobe's life miserable if they meet in the playoffs...

Disagree with above post.  His turnover rate has been excellently low....

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser

Exactly.

If you look at his game log its as up and down as ever, similar to how the grizzlies have played as of late.

T.A. has started 21 games this season.  I'm not sure if he has started all of the last 21 games, but they are 13-8 during that span.  That's not exactly .500 ball.  Pretty solid for the Grizz.  His numbers might be up and down, but remember that he is in the line up because of his tough defense. Overall, he seems to have been playing really well and good enough that he's getting more minutes at the 2 spot than O.J. Mayo.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Again, semi-related. Gerald is playing in Russia, while Big Al felt he was until Utah traded for him.