Author Topic: Kenneth Faried  (Read 8321 times)

Re: Kenneth Faried
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Faried's been my guy since last year (when I was hoping he'd declare early and we'd have a chance at him in the late 2nd round). 

It's a shame he played in such a bad conference on a bad team with a gimmicky zone defense; he's been given so little NBA-relevant instruction.  Still, his athletic profile and remarkable hustle/ferocity should translate into productivity.

He might be totally lost in NBA offensive and defensive schemes at first, but the guy can generate bucket-loads of extra possessions.  He's got incredible rebounding instincts, extraordinarily strong hands and arms and excellent length and leaping ability (with a very quick second jump), making him a beast on the offensive boards, especially off guard penetration.  He can shoot the gap for steals and has a knack for stealing entry-passes.  He's even got the LeBron James chasedown block in his repertoire.

Offensively, he's got a tiny bit of Leon Powe's aggressive, awkward effectiveness in the post, but he's got no handle and no jumper and no counter-moves once his opponent figures out he wants to go for the little jump-hook or baby jumper. On the brightside, he's a gazelle in the open court and finishes with authority. 

I can see him panning out as a more athletic, better rebounding version of Leon Powe.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Faried's been my guy since last year (when I was hoping he'd declare early and we'd have a chance at him in the late 2nd round). 

It's a shame he played in such a bad conference on a bad team with a gimmicky zone defense; he's been given so little NBA-relevant instruction.  Still, his athletic profile and remarkable hustle/ferocity should translate into productivity.

He might be totally lost in NBA offensive and defensive schemes at first, but the guy can generate bucket-loads of extra possessions.  He's got incredible rebounding instincts, extraordinarily strong hands and arms and excellent length and leaping ability (with a very quick second jump), making him a beast on the offensive boards, especially off guard penetration.  He can shoot the gap for steals and has a knack for stealing entry-passes.  He's even got the LeBron James chasedown block in his repertoire.

Offensively, he's got a tiny bit of Leon Powe's aggressive, awkward effectiveness in the post, but he's got no handle and no jumper and no counter-moves once his opponent figures out he wants to go for the little jump-hook or baby jumper. On the brightside, he's a gazelle in the open court and finishes with authority. 

I can see him panning out as a more athletic, better rebounding version of Leon Powe.

I think that's a good comparison.  I really like his rebounding ability and athleticism, but during the tournament he looked useless offensively.  I do like his game, but not sure if I like it for a first round pick.
do it

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think you are underrating just how good Leon was in college.  I think Faried is a slightly better athlete (although Leon was very explosive and had tremendously quick feet before that last knee injury), but offensively, Faried has a long way to go to be in Powe's class.

Ultimately, I am waiting to hear the measurements on Faried before making a real prediction, but I am really not sure he will be anything more than an 8th or 9th man energy guy.  Which is fine at the end of the first round/beginning of the second round, but I think he will be flirting with the lottery in this draft.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think Leon Powe is a bad comparison. When I see Leon, I see a player who has that #1 option mentality on offense meaning to max out his talent, the offense had to run through him.

Faried on the other hand, I think plays the complimentary role better than Leon, especially in transition.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I think you are underrating just how good Leon was in college.  I think Faried is a slightly better athlete (although Leon was very explosive and had tremendously quick feet before that last knee injury), but offensively, Faried has a long way to go to be in Powe's class.

Ultimately, I am waiting to hear the measurements on Faried before making a real prediction, but I am really not sure he will be anything more than an 8th or 9th man energy guy.  Which is fine at the end of the first round/beginning of the second round, but I think he will be flirting with the lottery in this draft.

I think they were very different college players (with Powe the much more skilled offensive player) but they have similar builds and physical attributes.  As Powe wasn't able to translate much of his face-up/jump-shooting game to the pros, I think his NBA style will more closely approximate Faried's style.

Ronny Turiaf is another comparison in terms of style and body type, only I'd imagine Faried, though smaller, will be a much better NBA rebounder.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri