Author Topic: Draft Jimmer to play Point.  (Read 18883 times)

Re: Draft Jimmer to play Point.
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah, I think he'll be JJ Redick or Kyle Korver, probably.

How does his game resemble these players' games?

Besides race.

Excellent college shooter/scorer but doesn't have the body to be a star at the next level. Will be a great shooter in the NBA, but will suck so back defensively that he can't start on a contending team.

Sounds like Korver and Redick to me.

Korver and Redick are shooting guards. Jimmer is a true point guard, not a combo guard or a shooting guard. He is a phenomenal shooter and scorer, with tremendous basketball intelligence. Why not compare him to Steve Nash? Doesn't that make more sense?

There's more to basketball than having a "great body" or "great athletic skills." When you draft for those things, sometimes you end up getting Kwame Brown, Gerald Green, Michael Olowokandi, Darko Milicic, Kedrick Brown, etc., etc., the list goes on and on.

I think Nash is a much better comparison.
Maybe to early career Nash, but Jimmer is not anything like the current play maker Nash has been late in his career.

Nash has one of the most unusal profiles in NBA history, he's a poor comparions for just about anyone.

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
If we are moving up to draft I would much rather have Brandon Knight.

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Jimmer Fredette is a scoring PG with, at best, mediocre passing skills, mediocre athleticism and an inability to guard a tree. And I'm talking a slow tree like a 100 year oak or maple, not those young, fast trees like a ****willow or a palm.

If he was playing in the NCAAs 10-20 years ago he would be considered a late first round to mid second round prospect. Simply put, the talent in the today's college game is now so watered down and poor that he looks awesome by comparison and just is not. He will not transition to the next level and someone is going to regret ever taking him as a lottery pick.

Tp nick, not because I  agree with you, But because you write with conviction, a quality lacking in todays youth.

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
If he was playing in the NCAAs 10-20 years ago he would be considered a late first round to mid second round prospect. Simply put, the talent in the today's college game is now so watered down and poor that he looks awesome by comparison and just is not. He will not transition to the next level and someone is going to regret ever taking him as a lottery pick.

Do you have some sort of secret hate for Jimmer, Nick?

That is the only explanation for this gross over exaggeration.

30 points a game, 4 assist, 4 rebounds, 40% from 5 feet behind the nba 3 point line.

You think, 20 years ago, that he would be late second round, with those stats??

Come on Nick.

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
I see him as a more rounded JJ Reddick, but shorter. I think he has the skill set to be a really good backup point and could be a piece in the future if he gets good enough to trade if he commands too much money.
I bleed Green

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Considering his best comparison is JJ Redick he might struggle to adjust to the NBA for a while. It took Redick years to get to where he could defend enough to earn minutes.

Adam Morrison's NBA comparison was Larry Bird, so that goes both ways.

Morrison was kind of a fraud that way. The first glaring deficiency was he was a poor rebounder and Larry was a great rebounder for a three. As importantly Larry was an incredible passer and Morrison showed none of that in school. So the signs were all right there that it was kind of a joke that he was like Larry.

As far as Jimmer, I don't know but Danny Ainge was way better than this guy. Bigger, stronger, faster, better passer better defender, huge guts...jimmer may have that.

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Jimmer couldn't come close to Danny Ainge even with the magical underpants.

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Nash was drafted to be Phoenix's pg of the future behind KJ than they got Kidd his rookie year. He sat on the bench for two years, then was hurt in Dallas. The 2000 Olympics is really his coming out party.

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 07:48:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

30 points a game, 4 assist, 4 rebounds, 40% from 5 feet behind the nba 3 point line.

Come on Nick.
What I am saying is 10-20 years ago, he wouldn't have had those stats because he would have been playing against a much better class of college basketball player and hence, you wouldn't be blown away by his overinflated stats and would look at him for what he is, a middle of the road athlete with a great shooting touch who can't play defense and doesn't have tremendous passing skills as a PG. 15-20 years ago most first rounders were seniors and juniors and the best talent in college ball stayed in school 3-4 years. Now the best talent is gone after one or maybe two years and programs start getting littered with NBDL at best talent. The whole game of college basketball just doesn't have the overall depth of talent that it once had and these draft classes are starting to get weak on NBA starting talent.

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Come on Nick.
What I am saying is 10-20 years ago, he wouldn't have had those stats because he would have been playing against a much better class of college basketball player and hence, you wouldn't be blown away by his overinflated stats and would look at him for what he is, a middle of the road athlete with a great shooting touch who can't play defense and doesn't have tremendous passing skills as a PG. 15-20 years ago most first rounders were seniors and juniors and the best talent in college ball stayed in school 3-4 years. Now the best talent is gone after one or maybe two years and programs start getting littered with NBDL at best talent. The whole game of college basketball just doesn't have the overall depth of talent that it once had and these draft classes are starting to get weak on NBA starting talent.

Just a year or two ago he'd probably be a late to early second rounder.  Oh and there is talent in college ball the reason people don't know about it is because most of them are freshman then jump to the league and then get known.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Jimmer couldn't come close to Danny Ainge even with the magical underpants.
Well, that was offensive.   ::)

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Jimmer Point Guard for Celtic ....

NOT  ::)

Ps .........somebody tell the LAKERS to rake him  ;)

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline bMunch

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 28
Jimmer Fredette is a scoring PG with, at best, mediocre passing skills, mediocre athleticism and an inability to guard a tree. And I'm talking a slow tree like a 100 year oak or maple, not those young, fast trees like a ****willow or a palm.

i've no idea how to give a TP, and i never login to CB but instead just read what's posted here, but, you've made me laugh out loud and spew beverage over my table while doing so so kudos to you.
“Man, I come home putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball. It’s sad, man." -- Kevin Garnett

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not buyin the Reddick comparison because Jimmer is a much better ball handler.  He plays PG while Reddick always played SG.

In terms of style, he looks much more like Nash and Curry.  Probably more Curry since Jimmer isn't really a great passer.  Indeed, he has played entire games this year without an assist.

As far as whether he'll make it, we'll see.  He'll need to defend and pass.  He won't be able to dominate the ball and shoot in bunches like he does now, I will say that.

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »

Offline jpurthe1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
Jimmer would be great for the Celtics. He can come off the bench and bring instant offense and less pressure on him.

He could be a mini microwave person with a great shot. You cannot teach his kind of range and his ability to penetrate.

He may never be an all star but he would be a great back up point and sg. I think he makes in the league if he can up his defense. I would not bet against him from what I see.