Author Topic: Draft Jimmer to play Point.  (Read 18931 times)

Re: Draft Jimmer to play Point.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline farringa

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Mute point....he will be drafted long before C's pick, but, in my latest mock draft, I have C's taking his teammated in the second round....Jackson Emery....sleeper with excellent "d"

Unfortunately, I took Gonzaga over BYU in my bracket

From the few times I've seen him play, I really like Jimmer's competitive nature, and that is something that DOES translate well to the NBA.

I like Emery too, but I don't follow college ball closely enough to know where everyone would be drafted...

Oh, it's a moot point, not mute.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Considering his best comparison is JJ Redick he might struggle to adjust to the NBA for a while. It took Redick years to get to where he could defend enough to earn minutes.

JJ Redick is a horrible comparison.  JJ was a shooter Jimmer is a scorer.  Jimmer can create offense better than anyone in the college game. 

Jimmer is a much more mobile player than JJ IMO.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Yeah, I think he'll be JJ Redick or Kyle Korver, probably.

How does his game resemble these players' games?

Besides race.

Excellent college shooter/scorer but doesn't have the body to be a star at the next level. Will be a great shooter in the NBA, but will suck so back defensively that he can't start on a contending team.

Sounds like Korver and Redick to me.

Korver and Redick are shooting guards. Jimmer is a true point guard, not a combo guard or a shooting guard. He is a phenomenal shooter and scorer, with tremendous basketball intelligence. Why not compare him to Steve Nash? Doesn't that make more sense?

There's more to basketball than having a "great body" or "great athletic skills." When you draft for those things, sometimes you end up getting Kwame Brown, Gerald Green, Michael Olowokandi, Darko Milicic, Kedrick Brown, etc., etc., the list goes on and on.

I think Nash is a much better comparison.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Danny Ainge insists he is not being competitive in a Red Auerbach sort of way when he points out that Jimmer Fredette needed 135 games to break the all-time Brigham Young University scoring record that Ainge set in 118 games from 1977-81.

“No, because Jimmer didn’t play as much as a freshman as I did,” said Ainge, who went for 632 points in his first year at BYU while Fredette managed 244 in a smaller role.

The Celtics general manager is indeed a huge fan of Fredette and was hoping for big things as he settled in to watch the NCAA tournament this weekend.

“I’ve enjoyed watching Jimmer play the last four years,” Ainge said. “It’s been fun. He’s had a lot of people around the country following him. Everybody knows who he is now with the senior year he’s had.

“It’s fun watching all the different ways he scores. It’s fun watching my kids in the gym trying to emulate him and figure out how to do a double-crossover spin step-back. He’s got such a wide variety of shots. He’s such a great kid and a great scorer.”

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20110320#STORY_31925#ixzz1HBpNKDZB

I think it would be interesting if he did get to the Celtics but I doubt he'd still be available still... C's first round pick will (hopefully) be one of the last ones.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I perosnly think jimmer is going to be a upgraded version of eddie house. He has eddie beat in his development as a pg but im sceptical how those skills will translate to the nba new super athlete crop of PGs. On an offence first team like the knicks jimmer could be a 15ppg guy. He might be a good hustle defender like eddie became with the Cs but he is always going to fail (like every other none elite pg)  playing man to man D agaisnt the likes of rose,rondo and westbrook.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=eddie-house&i=1&p1=jimmer-fredette
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I perosnly think jimmer is going to be a upgraded version of eddie house. He has eddie beat in his development as a pg but im sceptical how those skills will translate to the nba new super athlete crop of PGs. On an offence first team like the knicks jimmer could be a 15ppg guy. He might be a good hustle defender like eddie became with the Cs but he is always going to fail (like every other none elite pg)  playing man to man D agaisnt the likes of rose,rondo and westbrook.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=eddie-house&i=1&p1=jimmer-fredette

Actually, I think he will be a poor man's Eddie House. His trigger is not nearly as fast as Eddie's. He will struggle to get his shot off. No way is he qualified to play PG in the NBA.

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
After having Nate and Eddie, and trading both of them, don't you think that Danny has had enough of undersized two guards masquerading as PG's?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
After having Nate and Eddie, and trading both of them, don't you think that Danny has had enough of undersized two guards masquerading as PG's?

You think that really matters?

Danny would never, ever.. pass a chance to draft this kid. 

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jimmer Fredette is a scoring PG with, at best, mediocre passing skills, mediocre athleticism and an inability to guard a tree. And I'm talking a slow tree like a 100 year oak or maple, not those young, fast trees like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.willow or a palm.

If he was playing in the NCAAs 10-20 years ago he would be considered a late first round to mid second round prospect. Simply put, the talent in the today's college game is now so watered down and poor that he looks awesome by comparison and just is not. He will not transition to the next level and someone is going to regret ever taking him as a lottery pick.

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure I'd want him running the point as a starter but I'd love to have him as a PG/SG combo type off the bench.

He's better than Redick was in college and I do tend to see more Curry in him than Redick.   Redick was more one-dimensional while this kid's game shows more vesatility.  

The biggest question to me is whether Jimmer can create his shot at the professional level (outside 3 point shooting).  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
If he was playing in the NCAAs 10-20 years ago he would be considered a late first round to mid second round prospect. Simply put, the talent in the today's college game is now so watered down and poor that he looks awesome by comparison and just is not. He will not transition to the next level and someone is going to regret ever taking him as a lottery pick.

Kind of Adam Morrison style?

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

IMO, he's better than Morrison.

However, like Nick said, I think you'd be nuts to draft this kid as a lottery pick or expect him to be a solid starter in today's NBA.

I think he can be a role player off the bench but you don't draft guys like that in the top 15.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And the pick would make Rajon mad, which I think is a good thing.

This statement...I just don't get. Why would it make Rondo mad? Danny drafted Avery Bradley and declared him a PG, didn't seem to make Rondo mad.

Rajon Rondo is a supremely confident young man who feels he is the best point guard in the NBA. I don't see him getting mad because Ainge drafts a PG unless its because he feels hes wasting the pick when the team needs help getting younger and more athletic in other areas, which they do.

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

IMO, he's better than Morrison.

However, like Nick said, I think you'd be nuts to draft this kid as a lottery pick or expect him to be a solid starter in today's NBA.

I think he can be a role player off the bench but you don't draft guys like that in the top 15.

NBADraft.net has him going 10th...Yikes!
http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Considering his best comparison is JJ Redick he might struggle to adjust to the NBA for a while. It took Redick years to get to where he could defend enough to earn minutes.

JJ Redick is a horrible comparison.  JJ was a shooter Jimmer is a scorer.  Jimmer can create offense better than anyone in the college game. 

Jimmer is a much more mobile player than JJ IMO.
JJ is pretty mobile too, offensively. Redick's problems were mostly on the defensive end, I think that Jimmer will find similar issues follow him to the NBA.