Author Topic: Why Do People Consider Westbrook to Be Better Than Rondo?  (Read 19650 times)

Re: Why Do People Consider Westbrook to Be Better Than Rondo?
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

Lol... jk.   Classic Troll post is classic.
Boozer/Noah are role players?

Noah is definately a role player.

I second that

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

Was just kidding around. 

I'm going to stop being the rational one, because I love Rondo too much.  I'll try and pretend Rondo is the best point guard in the league too. It will probably be more fun.  :)

Yeah, if "my opinions are facts" doesn't work, "I'm the rational one" usually seals the deal. I mean, come on, if Rose is on SportsCenter more often he *has* to be the better player, it's indisputable.

I haven't really bothered reading the argument of why Rondo is better than Rose, but are you serious with this stuff?   The Bulls are about to finish with the top seed in the East.  Pierce and KG are far better than Boozer and Noah.  Rose is an MVP candidate for a reason.  This anti-Rose stuff just sounds like jealous envy of a rival.  I love Rondo, but Rondo "gets up" for matchups against Rose like Ray use to "get up" for matchups against Kobe in his Seattle days... and like Pierce "gets up" for his matchups against LeBron.   Regardless... Bron is better than Pierce.  Kobe is better than Ray.  Rose is better than Rondo.  Collectively they can win titles together, but individually there are better players.

Who's anti-Rose?

Nevermind.  I'm just going to politely bow out of this thread.  Every once in a while I need to remind myself that back in 2008 one of the posters on this forum tried to argue that he would rather have Kendrick Perkins on our team than Hakeem in his prime, because "Perk was a better fit for our system".  He was serious.  Not saying you guys are to that level of homerism, but anytime I see people dismiss an MVP candidate like LeBron or Rose and irrationally argue that one of our guys is better... I can't shake the "Perk > Hakeem" comment out of my mind...

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
When I talked about scorers historically being voted the MVP I think many of you missed my point.  The MVP is voted on by tens or hundreds of panelists.  The award almost always goes to a scorer (even Nash was a primary scorering option when he won).  

The question is why is Westbrook considered better than Rondo.  Well it really doesn't matter what my individual opinion is, or what yours is. It's what the majority thinks.  More people value scoring than Rondo's intangibles.  So you're going to see more rankings that put Westbook ahead of Rondo; it's as simple as that.  Whether you agree with majority is an entirely different matter.

Look at a guy like Ben Wallace in his prime.  He had definite weaknesses, but contributed exceptionally in other areas.  He did the work other stars on the team didn't do but it was a perfect fit.  Even though the majority recognized these contributions, they would rank them high, but not highest.      

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Was just kidding around. 

I'm going to stop being the rational one, because I love Rondo too much.  I'll try and pretend Rondo is the best point guard in the league too. It will probably be more fun.  :)

Yeah, if "my opinions are facts" doesn't work, "I'm the rational one" usually seals the deal. I mean, come on, if Rose is on SportsCenter more often he *has* to be the better player, it's indisputable.

I haven't really bothered reading the argument of why Rondo is better than Rose, but are you serious with this stuff?   The Bulls are about to finish with the top seed in the East.  Pierce and KG are far better than Boozer and Noah.  Rose is an MVP candidate for a reason.  This anti-Rose stuff just sounds like jealous envy of a rival.  I love Rondo, but Rondo "gets up" for matchups against Rose like Ray use to "get up" for matchups against Kobe in his Seattle days... and like Pierce "gets up" for his matchups against LeBron.   Regardless... Bron is better than Pierce.  Kobe is better than Ray.  Rose is better than Rondo.  Collectively they can win titles together, but individually there are better players.

I think what I said was which player was better was debatable. The whole Rondo "gets up" for matchups was a better argument a couple of years ago when it seemed to happen. And I think you're rushing things when you put Rose in the Kobe/LeBron class. He's 4th in the league in turnovers and 3rd in usage and fga. Those will be the first three categories of any type he finishes in the top 5 in the league in in his career. He's 8th in points per game, 10th in assists per game, and 12th in PER.

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Was just kidding around. 

Who's anti-Rose?

Nevermind.  I'm just going to politely bow out of this thread.  Every once in a while I need to remind myself that back in 2008 one of the posters on this forum tried to argue that he would rather have Kendrick Perkins on our team than Hakeem in his prime, because "Perk was a better fit for our system".  He was serious.  Not saying you guys are to that level of homerism, but anytime I see people dismiss an MVP candidate like LeBron or Rose and irrationally argue that one of our guys is better... I can't shake the "Perk > Hakeem" comment out of my mind...

It's always good to insult the other people in a thread while you "politely" bow out of it...

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
When I talked about scorers historically being voted the MVP I think many of you missed my point.  The MVP is voted on by tens or hundreds of panelists.  The award almost always goes to a scorer (even Nash was a primary scorering option when he won).  

The question is why is Westbrook considered better than Rondo.  Well it really doesn't matter what my individual opinion is, or what yours is. It's what the majority thinks.  More people value scoring than Rondo's intangibles.  So you're going to see more rankings that put Westbook ahead of Rondo; it's as simple as that.  Whether you agree with majority is an entirely different matter.

Look at a guy like Ben Wallace in his prime.  He had definite weaknesses, but contributed exceptionally in other areas.  He did the work other stars on the team didn't do but it was a perfect fit.  Even though the majority recognized these contributions, they would rank them high, but not highest.      

Before Rondo's recent run of play I don't think it was the case at all that more rankings put Westbrook ahead of Rondo.

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I second that
I guess I'd ask how do you guys define a role player?

He's certainly not a great offensive player or threat, but he's no longer a clear liability on that end. He is also a high level rebounder and defender. That takes him out of the "role player" category in my eyes.

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136

I second that

He's certainly not a great offensive player or threat, but he's no longer a clear liability on that end. He is also a high level rebounder and defender. That takes him out of the "role player" category in my eyes.

His game is rebounding and put-back dunks/layups.

Perkins/Chandler/Varejao are perfect comparisons for Noah. Both have no offensive game and only uses are rebounds/defense/put-backs.

Thats a role player, they have one role, and they play that role to the max.

Noahs stats are greatly inflated by who he plays with you have to remember that.

Being a role-player isnt a bad thing. But Noah is a role-player, not a star.

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

Lol... jk.   Classic Troll post is classic.

I second that

Perkins/Chandler/Varejao are perfect comparisons for Noah. Both have no offensive game and only uses are rebounds/defense/put-backs.

Noahs stats are greatly inflated by who he plays with you have to remember that.

So its about his offense. I guess we'll just have to say I disagree. Scoring off of post ups and jump shots is important, but it isn't what defines a "star" and a "role-player".

The best shot in the game is a dunk after all.

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

I second that

So its about his offense. I guess we'll just have to say I disagree. Scoring off of post ups and jump shots is important, but it isn't what defines a "star" and a "role-player".

If Noah isnt role-player then what is he?

If Noah is a star player, then Perkins, Chandler, and Varejao are also star players, because they are exactly the same as each other. No offensive talent, but rebound and dunk/put-back layups well.

He isnt a star player, he is a very high level role-player and whos stats are inflated by who he plays with.

When Noah went out for 2 and half months, the Bulls kept winning, they simply slid Kurt Thomas into his spot, and Kurt did the same exact things Noah did albiet at a lower rate. But the Bulls kept winning.

Our Big 4 are star players, if any of those 4 went down for 2 and a half months, this team would be in shambles and would be struggling even be the 4th seed in the east because star players cannot have their roles replaced.

Bulls would still have the same record if Perkins/Chandler/Varejao took Noahs spot. Role-players are way easier to replace then stars.

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

I second that

If Noah is a star player, then Perkins, Chandler, and Varejao are also star players, because they are exactly the same as each other. No offensive talent, but rebound and dunk/put-back layups well.

He isnt a star player, he is a very high level role-player and whos stats are inflated by who he plays with.

When Noah went out for 2 and half months, the Bulls kept winning, they simply slid Kurt Thomas into his spot, and Kurt did the same exact things Noah did albiet at a lower rate. But the Bulls kept winning.

Our Big 4 are star players, if any of those 4 went down for 2 and a half months, this team would be in shambles and would be struggling even be the 4th seed in the east because star players cannot have their roles replaced.

Bulls would still have the same record if Perkins/Chandler/Varejao took Noahs spot. Role-players are way easier to replace then stars.

There has to be a mid-tier... and Noah is in that group. He is neither a star player nor is he a role player.

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

I second that

Would that make Rondo a role player too?  Isn't everyone a role player then?

When I think "Role Player" I think of guys who don't start or guys who shouldn't start.

Varajao and Noah are excellent defenders.  Varajao was almost an All Star last year, was the second best player on a 67 win team. 

Noah was averaging a double double before he got hurt.

Reggie Evans is a role player.  Steve Kerr was a role player.  It's usually guys who are good at one skill and terrible at everything else.

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney

I second that

Would that make Rondo a role player too?  Isn't everyone a role player then?

When I think "Role Player" I think of guys who don't start or guys who shouldn't start.

Varajao and Noah are excellent defenders.  Varajao was almost an All Star last year, was the second best player on a 67 win team.  

Reggie Evans is a role player.  Steve Kerr was a role player.  It's usually guys who are good at one skill and terrible at everything else.

Stats dont make someone a star. Rondo has no offense, but he has built his star reputation by preforming big in the playoffs, putting up historical triple doubles, etc. People that arent basketball fans, know who he is.

Noah has done none of that, he is the #4th option on a team with only 1 all-star.

Role players are incomplete players who lack the talent to be stars, the focal point of teams, guys like Perkins, Chandler, Varejao, and Noah.

They are big bruisers, who defend and rebound, but outside of that dont do much else.

They are good players, but they arent stars, Star players also have the reputation/accomplishment factor, and are household names.

Star players make big plays.

Could you give Noah the ball with 5 seconds left and expect him to make an offensive move to the basket? No, you couldnt, because he has no moves.

He is a high energy, defender/rebounder. You need offense to be considered a star.

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I second that

Would that make Rondo a role player too?  Isn't everyone a role player then?

Varajao and Noah are excellent defenders.  Varajao was almost an All Star last year, was the second best player on a 67 win team.  

Reggie Evans is a role player.  Steve Kerr was a role player.  It's usually guys who are good at one skill and terrible at everything else.

Stats dont make someone a star. Rondo has no offense, but he has built his star reputation by preforming big in the playoffs, putting up historical triple doubles, etc. People that arent basketball fans, know who he is.

Rondo has no offense is quite an overstatement. He's averaged 16+ a game the last 2 playoffs.

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Here's how I tend to break it down.

1) Stars-  Your primary guy or guys.  Depending on the team, it can be anywhere from 1-3 guys.  You rarely see 3 guys.

2) Starters-  These guys fill out the starting five.  They're not stars.

3) Rotation-  Your first guys off the bench.  Typically made up of your 6th man, sharpshooter, and fill in the blank.  The fill in the blank guy could be a backup PG or a big man.  Basically meshes to whatever the team has going for it.  

4) Bench-  The Scalabrines of the world.  The guys who fill out the end of your bench but typically don't see the light of day unless its garbage time or injuries have cracked into the above 3 groups.

I will say that I typically associate "role players" more towards the rotation guys and not necessarily starters but I think you can make the argument to blend in #2 & #3.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team