Author Topic: Why Do People Consider Westbrook to Be Better Than Rondo?  (Read 19635 times)

Re: Why Do People Consider Westbrook to Be Better Than Rondo?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I love Rondo.  He's a lot of fun to watch when he's on.  But I dont' know if he averages 10+ assists without KG, Pierce and (mainly) Ray getting his passes.  

He really IS great.  And he's a legitimate all-star, but I don't think he's a top 5 PG.  CP and Deron are obviously the top.  Westbrook has leapfrogged him.  And then MAYBE Rondo takes #5, but I think John Wall takes that spot within a year.

Perk wasn't a top 10 center either.

I think it's pretty clear that a healthy Rondo makes the big three look better than they otherwise would. The team's offense didn't look that hot when Rondo was out of the lineup and it hasn't looked too good with Rondo playing poorly.

He plays his role.  He makes great passes.  He fits into the system and he has great players who are capable of being efficient within that system.   He's an all-star... he's just not one of the top 5 point guards.  CP, Deron, Rose and Westbrook are better.  Nash is better right now and John Wall will be better next year.

And seriously I love both Rondo and Perk so I'm not trying to hate.  It's just a fact.  After looking at a list of centers, I'm not sure Perkins is even in the top 20.  Still love them both, though... and they fit into a championship team.

Obviously it's not a fact, it's your opinion. Wall may or may not be better than Rondo next year, that kind of talk reminds me of people claiming that Rose and Conley were better than Rondo before they ever played a game in the nba. Nash might be better this year, but it hasn't been the case the last couple of years. Williams and Rose do different things but I don't think that definitely makes them better. If Boston plays Chicago in the playoffs and Rose outplays Rondo then I'd believe he's better (assuming Rondo's healthier than he is now). Rondo's outplayed Rose often enough that I'm taking a wait and see approach.

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Because people overvalue scoring.

I'm telling you, there has to be something with users with Paul Pierce photos, their points are always so valuable! Lol

So true. Really? So since Westbrook and Rose can both score 40 means that they are better? That has nothing to with being a point guard! Rondo PLAYS THE POINT GUARD POSITION better than any of those shooting guards camouflaging as point guards. He is only second best to Chris Paul

Derrick Rose is the leading MVP candidate because he plays for a contender and is their main go to guy for scoring.  He'll take the ball for 5-6 straight possesions down the strech if he has to (just like MJ did).  Kevin Durant got the same type of recognition last year for OKC and everyone predicted he would be future MVP.  For years that's how NBA players have been viewed in terms of value.

So because Rondo is not a scorer, the "rules" should all change now?  Too many homers on these boards that overrate guys like Rondo and Perkins.  Don't get me wrong; they certainly bring something to the table.  I'm not trying to discredit them, but when you start going league wide for comparisons you're going to find they don't always stack up favorably.  

Derrick Rose is a small forward playing point guard. I am not a "homer", I just like watching this team more than others. I like alot of other players on diff teams

Rose is not a point guard.
-Does not control tempo
-Has no court vision
-Scores 1st, Scores 2nd, Passes 3rd
-Mediocre ball handling skills
-Mediocre passing skills
-Has a usual stat line of 25 shots for 30 points. Horrible decision maker.

He's a good player but not a point guard at all...

Rondo is a better POINT GUARD. He does everything you need to play that position. Get it? And I can care less who is "better", its all an ego thing anyway. Although Rose's BBall IQ is no where near as high as Rondo

Nah.  Saying Rondo is a better POINT GUARD than Rose is like saying Ray Allen is a better SHOOTING GUARD than Kobe. 

Rose > Rondo.  Don't think it's an opinion anymore... it's fact

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I love Rondo.  He's a lot of fun to watch when he's on.  But I dont' know if he averages 10+ assists without KG, Pierce and (mainly) Ray getting his passes. 

He really IS great.  And he's a legitimate all-star, but I don't think he's a top 5 PG.  CP and Deron are obviously the top.  Westbrook has leapfrogged him.  And then MAYBE Rondo takes #5, but I think John Wall takes that spot within a year.

I think it's pretty clear that a healthy Rondo makes the big three look better than they otherwise would. The team's offense didn't look that hot when Rondo was out of the lineup and it hasn't looked too good with Rondo playing poorly.

He plays his role.  He makes great passes.  He fits into the system and he has great players who are capable of being efficient within that system.   He's an all-star... he's just not one of the top 5 point guards.  CP, Deron, Rose and Westbrook are better.  Nash is better right now and John Wall will be better next year.

And seriously I love both Rondo and Perk so I'm not trying to hate.  It's just a fact.  After looking at a list of centers, I'm not sure Perkins is even in the top 20.  Still love them both, though... and they fit into a championship team.

Obviously it's not a fact, it's your opinion. Wall may or may not be better than Rondo next year, that kind of talk reminds me of people claiming that Rose and Conley were better than Rondo before they ever played a game in the nba.

Actually my "opinion" is that Wall might be better than Rondo right now.   I figured it's a given that he'll leapfrog him in a year or two.

I'd like to think that I just made a really stupid comment like when half this board said they'd trade Rondo for Brandon Jennings... but I think Wall isn't getting enough credit for what he's doing as a 20 year old rookie PG on a terrible team.  He's Rose 2.0

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I'm telling you, there has to be something with users with Paul Pierce photos, their points are always so valuable! Lol

So true. Really? So since Westbrook and Rose can both score 40 means that they are better? That has nothing to with being a point guard! Rondo PLAYS THE POINT GUARD POSITION better than any of those shooting guards camouflaging as point guards. He is only second best to Chris Paul

Derrick Rose is the leading MVP candidate because he plays for a contender and is their main go to guy for scoring.  He'll take the ball for 5-6 straight possesions down the strech if he has to (just like MJ did).  Kevin Durant got the same type of recognition last year for OKC and everyone predicted he would be future MVP.  For years that's how NBA players have been viewed in terms of value.

So because Rondo is not a scorer, the "rules" should all change now?  Too many homers on these boards that overrate guys like Rondo and Perkins.  Don't get me wrong; they certainly bring something to the table.  I'm not trying to discredit them, but when you start going league wide for comparisons you're going to find they don't always stack up favorably.  

Derrick Rose is a small forward playing point guard. I am not a "homer", I just like watching this team more than others. I like alot of other players on diff teams

-Does not control tempo
-Has no court vision
-Mediocre passing skills

Rondo is a better POINT GUARD. He does everything you need to play that position. Get it? And I can care less who is "better", its all an ego thing anyway. Although Rose's BBall IQ is no where near as high as Rondo

Nah.  Saying Rondo is a better POINT GUARD than Rose is like saying Ray Allen is a better SHOOTING GUARD than Kobe. 

More like saying Rondo is a better POINT GUARD than Rose is like saying Kevin Garnett is a better POWER FORWARD than Amare.

And again, have Rose outplay Rondo in a playoff series and you'll have a decent case for your, er, *opinion*.

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I love Rondo.  He's a lot of fun to watch when he's on.  But I dont' know if he averages 10+ assists without KG, Pierce and (mainly) Ray getting his passes. 

He really IS great.  And he's a legitimate all-star, but I don't think he's a top 5 PG.  CP and Deron are obviously the top.  Westbrook has leapfrogged him.  And then MAYBE Rondo takes #5, but I think John Wall takes that spot within a year.

He plays his role.  He makes great passes.  He fits into the system and he has great players who are capable of being efficient within that system.   He's an all-star... he's just not one of the top 5 point guards.  CP, Deron, Rose and Westbrook are better.  Nash is better right now and John Wall will be better next year.

And seriously I love both Rondo and Perk so I'm not trying to hate.  It's just a fact.  After looking at a list of centers, I'm not sure Perkins is even in the top 20.  Still love them both, though... and they fit into a championship team.

Obviously it's not a fact, it's your opinion. Wall may or may not be better than Rondo next year, that kind of talk reminds me of people claiming that Rose and Conley were better than Rondo before they ever played a game in the nba.

Actually my "opinion" is that Wall might be better than Rondo right now.   I figured it's a given that he'll leapfrog him in a year or two.

I'd like to think that I just made a really stupid comment like when half this board said they'd trade Rondo for Brandon Jennings... but I think Wall isn't getting enough credit for what he's doing as a 20 year old rookie PG on a terrible team.  He's Rose 2.0

Rose as a rookie wasn't as good as Rondo in his second year, and Rondo is much better than that now.

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

-Does not control tempo
-Has no court vision
-Mediocre passing skills

Hey, Kobe is overrated. Your point is invalid lol
Rose is not even a better player than Rondo. Rondo is better in every facet of the game except scoring.

If Rondo was able to score 40+ points every night, what advantage would Rose have over him? Nothing...

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

Lol... jk.   Classic Troll post is classic.

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

Lol... jk.   Classic Troll post is classic.
Boozer/Noah are role players?

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Bulls with Rose + role players >  Celtics with Rondo + 4 hall of famers + deepest bench in the league.

Was just kidding around. 

I'm going to stop being the rational one, because I love Rondo too much.  I'll try and pretend Rondo is the best point guard in the league too. It will probably be more fun.  :)

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo's floor leadership, defensive disruptiveness, and passing ability are undervalued.  There's no other player in the league like him, so I think its hard to appreciate his talents. Fans and the media love being able to make comparisons and Rondo defies comparison.  

And, by the way, despite his recent slump, he hits long 2 foot jump shots at a higher percentage than Westbrook and at the same rate as Rose.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136

Noah is definately a role player.

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Was just kidding around. 

I'm going to stop being the rational one, because I love Rondo too much.  I'll try and pretend Rondo is the best point guard in the league too. It will probably be more fun.  :)

Yeah, if "my opinions are facts" doesn't work, "I'm the rational one" usually seals the deal. I mean, come on, if Rose is on SportsCenter more often he *has* to be the better player, it's indisputable.

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Rondo's floor leadership, defensive disruptiveness, and passing ability are undervalued.  There's no other player in the league like him, so I think its hard to appreciate his talents.

CP3 has all of this and a more advanced offensive game.

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Was just kidding around. 

Yeah, if "my opinions are facts" doesn't work, "I'm the rational one" usually seals the deal. I mean, come on, if Rose is on SportsCenter more often he *has* to be the better player, it's indisputable.

I haven't really bothered reading the argument of why Rondo is better than Rose, but are you serious with this stuff?   The Bulls are about to finish with the top seed in the East.  Pierce and KG are far better than Boozer and Noah.  Rose is an MVP candidate for a reason.  This anti-Rose stuff just sounds like jealous envy of a rival.  I love Rondo, but Rondo "gets up" for matchups against Rose like Ray use to "get up" for matchups against Kobe in his Seattle days... and like Pierce "gets up" for his matchups against LeBron.   Regardless... Bron is better than Pierce.  Kobe is better than Ray.  Rose is better than Rondo.  Collectively they can win titles together, but individually there are better players.

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Was just kidding around. 

I haven't really bothered reading the argument of why Rondo is better than Rose, but are you serious with this stuff?   The Bulls are about to finish with the top seed in the East.  Pierce and KG are far better than Boozer and Noah.  Rose is an MVP candidate for a reason.  This anti-Rose stuff just sounds like jealous envy of a rival.  I love Rondo, but Rondo "gets up" for matchups against Rose like Ray use to "get up" for matchups against Kobe in his Seattle days... and like Pierce "gets up" for his matchups against LeBron.   Regardless... Bron is better than Pierce.  Kobe is better than Ray.  Rose is better than Rondo.  Collectively they can win titles together, but individually there are better players.

Who's anti-Rose?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson