Author Topic: Is it me or is there a virus on Celticsblog/SBNation?  (Read 14197 times)

Is it me or is there a virus on Celticsblog/SBNation?
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:08:56 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Completely randomly, I would log onto Celticsblog and the page would load for about 6-10 seconds and then go completely crazy and go to an alternate site, very similar to a well known viruses. Is it me or has anyone else experienced this recently? I think this started either a few days before the all-star break, I mainly noticed it right after the Perkins trade. I did a scan on my computer, cleared cashe and everything else…but no luck. It still happens periodically.

Re: Is it me or is there a virus on Celticsblog/SBNation?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Others have mentioned something similar.  Report the problem, with as many specifics as possible, to support@sbnation.com.  Let them know the site this is happening to (CelticsBlog); whether it's happening on the front page, the forums, or both; the type of browser you're using; how long the problem has been happening; and any other details you can.

Thanks for the report.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »

Kiorrik

It's rather important you also mention the name of the website you're being forwarded to. If you don't mind, send the name in a pm to me as well, I'd like to go and hunt for a solution.

Cheers,

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I was going to bring this up too. When I use my mac nothing like that happens, but when I'm at a PC computer at work it warns me there's a virus and my computer flips out.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »

Offline 16Bannaz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 18
It's rather important you also mention the name of the website you're being forwarded to. If you don't mind, send the name in a pm to me as well, I'd like to go and hunt for a solution.

Cheers,

I know that I personally got infected with a spyware program on CelticsBlog called System Tool. It took over everything and even changed my desktop background. It was fairly easy to get rid of though. Only took a little more than an hour.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I would invest in some anti-virus software or www.winpatrol.com

also, don't use Internet Explorer.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
anyone getting virus messages should send as detailed a report as possible to support@sbnation.com and include screen shots of everything abnormal they've seen. Here are the questions SBN is asking for:

- What browser/OS are you using?
- What site were you on?
- What page were you on?
- When day did you first see this?
- How many times have you seen it since?
- Has it happened on any other sites? Which ones?
- Did you click on anything after it redirected you to the virus scan screen?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
After this post, I'm leaving. I really like reading a lot of the forum threads, but this site has been infected for more than a month, and it's getting worse, not better. It's gone on for way too long. I've forwarded info to SB Nation, but the malware keeps on attempting to infect my computer. I don't think it's succeeded, but this forum site is just too risky, and the webmaster(s) have not been successful in keeping the site clean and safe. Maybe I'll try again around playoff time, but I'm finally fed up with the infection.

Please, SB Nation, get to the bottom of this, and FIX IT!

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I got it too today - didn't think to save the url - I don't think it's a virus though, just a redirect...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I got it too today - didn't think to save the url - I don't think it's a virus though, just a redirect...
Its important to locate the specific url, its probably in some ad done by SBNation (my guess).

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Its important to locate the specific url, its probably in some ad done by SBNation (my guess).

If that's the case, I wonder if Adblock would help.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This has happened to me a few times as well, most recently yesterday.  For me, I went straight from the CelticsBlog home page and was redirected to an address (the address is according to my history log):

scanantivirusdownloads.com

As part of the redirect, screens appearing to be scanning tools popped up.  Then they say they found a dangerous virus and offered to sell a download to clean it.  I was so busy deleting and closing that I didn't catch all the details.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It's been going on for weeks, and continues to be unaddressed by SB Nation. I'm not sure if it's legit, because my security system doesn't show a problem.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
This has happened to me also I just emailed SB with the info.
The website I was sent to was

Scanantivirusxponline.com

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Cheers,

I know that I personally got infected with a spyware program on CelticsBlog called System Tool. It took over everything and even changed my desktop background. It was fairly easy to get rid of though. Only took a little more than an hour.
Same thing happened to me.  I had to pay someone $60 to fix my computer.  I was unable to download any antivirus stuff on my own until I had the computer serviced.