Author Topic: Austin Rivers is High School Player Of The Year  (Read 7802 times)

Austin Rivers is High School Player Of The Year
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Austin Rivers has been named the 2011 Naismith National High School Basketball Player of the Year on Thursday.

The 6-4 shooting guard averaged 29.2 points and 6.1 rebounds per game this season. Rivers led the Wildcats to a 28-5 record and a second consecutive Florida Class 6A title, where he scored 25 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and dished out four assists in a 52-44 win over Dr. Phillips. Rivers headlines the No. 3 recruiting class in the NCAA.

“Being named the Naismith Player of the Year is a tremendous honor, especially considering only one person each year earns this prestigious award,” Doc Rivers said. “As a parent, I am extremely proud of Austin and as a coach, I'm impressed with how hard he works each day on becoming a better player. Our family is full of pride that Austin is receiving such a remarkable accolade and will be noted with this amazing distinction in basketball history."

Link.

Doc has to be awfully proud.  I can't wait to see this kid playing in the pros.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Austin Rivers is High School Player Of The Year
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Good for him
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
Austin is nastyyy, I watched a view highlight films and the dude has skillsss
I bleed Green

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

+1 to that.  This kid is going to be dynamic.  He already looks like a rich man's Monta Ellis, and he's just going to get better.  His body should fill out more, and you just know that he's going to be a helluva complete guard - shooting and distributing - whether he's ultimately playing the 1 or the 2.  

Hell, the kid looked like he could have been an NBA sixth-man during his junior year of high school!

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136

+1 to that.  This kid is going to be dynamic.  He already looks like a rich man's Monta Ellis, and he's just going to get better.  His body should fill out more, and you just know that he's going to be a helluva complete guard - shooting and distributing - whether he's ultimately playing the 1 or the 2.  

Hell, the kid looked like he could have been an NBA sixth-man during his junior year of high school!

We should try and package Rondo for him in the future.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Are we getting biased coverage because of Doc Rivers being the C's coach, or is Austin Rivers really the most anticipated high school player since LeBron?

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Are we getting biased coverage because of Doc Rivers being the C's coach, or is Austin Rivers really the most anticipated high school player since LeBron?

Would not put him in the LeBron category, but he is pretty special. Hope he has a great year at Duke and a great career with the Celtics.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That's assuming we can't swindle Denver out of their backup pg for him first...

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

His game is more like a poor mans Dwade he is not a PG.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

His game is more like a poor mans Dwade he is not a PG.

D-Wade's played a lot of PG in his career, though.  Rivers looks like that classic combo guard, who's best off the ball but who's got the handle and the smarts to play at the 1 if you need him.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Poor man's Wade, surely you jest.   Wade was an unknown coming out of high school hence he went to Marquette.   Rivers has the prodigy tag and is probably the top ranked G in his class.  Big time difference in expectations.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
So you're insinuating that Rivers is expected to have a far better career than Wade? Otherwise I don't see what the difference in expectations at the HS level matters. Plenty of players are unknowns in HS and go on to have great NBA careers, and vice versa with highly ranked players who fail in the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I definitely wouldn't say that yet but I'd like to see how he would play next to Rondo.  If he's anything like his brother and his dad he's probably a nasty defender.

We've already got 2 first rounders in 2012 and if we could somehow pull it off he'd be a nice starter without seriously disrupting our cap space.

Rondo
Rivers
Pierce
Howard?

How's that for a solid core?  Anybody seen this kid's defense?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I've only caught Rivers in highlight reels so I'm looking forward to seeing him when he does finally get to the NBA to find out for myself what all the hype is about.