Author Topic: Injury update and return date thread  (Read 82189 times)

Re: Injury update and return date thread
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Shaq travels to Miami, so that could be a positive sign going forward, though I don't think it's worth giving it too much value in the prospects of being ready to play.
Shaq travelled to NY as well this doesn't mean squat
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Hypothetical question: If Danny Ainge said today "Shaq will definitely definitely play in this series, and it will be meaningful minutes" who would believe him? Whys hould we believe absolutely a single thing this team says about injuries?

Hypothetical question: If Danny Ainge said today "Shaq won't play in this series, let alone play meaningful minutes" who would believe him?

« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Shaq travels to Miami, so that could be a positive sign going forward, though I don't think it's worth giving it too much value in the prospects of being ready to play.

Back then it meant that Shaq was improving and was closer to returning. And as we saw this week he seems to have made some progress, to the point that the trainers who hadn't seem optimistic before seems to have gained some confidence in Shaq returning.

So, would they have left Shaq in Boston if it meant that he hasn't progressed much?

« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Hypothetical question: If Danny Ainge said today "Shaq will definitely definitely play in this series, and it will be meaningful minutes" who would believe him? Why should we believe absolutely a single thing this team says about injuries?

JO for starters...

« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Hypothetical question: If Danny Ainge said today "Shaq will definitely definitely play in this series, and it will be meaningful minutes" who would believe him? Whys hould we believe absolutely a single thing this team says about injuries?
You don't have to believe him.  You don't even have to follow this team.  The choices are yours.  I will make my choices.  That's how it goes.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Back then it meant that Shaq was improving and was closer to returning. And as we saw this week he seems to have made some progress, to the point that the trainers who hadn't seem optimistic before seems to have gained some confidence in Shaq returning.

So, would they have left Shaq in Boston if it meant that he hasn't progressed much?
I don't think so he probably would have still been with the team regardless of his status, if I recall correctly even during the NY series after they said he felt soreness and was shut down Shaq was still with the team and on the bench throughout the series.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Just like Shaq would never miss an opportunity to hang out in NY, he also would never miss an opportunity to party in South Beach.  So, basically, all this means is that his injury is not bad enough to keep him from limping on to a plane...so, I suppose that is good news.

« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
You don't have to believe him.  You don't even have to follow this team.  The choices are yours.  I will make my choices.  That's how it goes.

And the thing is, I would absolutely believe Danny if he said that.  The thing is, he has never been that definitive about anything.  He has always been vague, and left himself an out.  So, until he says something truly definitive (that is not just taken out of context), I am going to continue to take the wait and see approach.

« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Just like Shaq would never miss an opportunity to hang out in NY, he also would never miss an opportunity to party in South Beach.  So, basically, all this means is that his injury is not bad enough to keep him from limping on to a plane...so, I suppose that is good news.
afterall Shaq's a fan of the game cant beat front row seats thats what I take from it :-\

« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Let's keep in mind that there's also more than one way that Danny could be lying.  Shaq might also be healthier than he's letting on and Danny may be trying to drop a surprise on the Heat.  

Of course he could be lying the other way.  

And of course he could be not lying at all.  I feel a lot of the doubters about Shaq are the same people who said that it was impossible for KG ever to get better than he was last year or for JO to ever get back.  Both of those statements are clearly false.  

So let's not jump to any conclusions and just hope for the best.  These "gut instincts" people keeping having are getting out of control.  

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It could be that Danny knows little more than we do.  In my experience Doctors are not God and do not give definitive answers.  They hedge so Danny hedges.  In other words, only God knows for sure and anything else is a guess anyway.  I think Shaq would be a big boon to this team, but I think we win anyway...just have to  work harder to get it.  JO has been terrific, as has been the rest of the starters, and the bench started coming around during the last series.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2011, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
It could be that Danny knows little more than we do.  In my experience Doctors are not God and do not give definitive answers.  They hedge so Danny hedges.  In other words, only God knows for sure and anything else is a guess anyway.  I think Shaq would be a big boon to this team, but I think we win anyway...just have to  work harder to get it.  JO has been terrific, as has been the rest of the starters, and the bench started coming around during the last series.
Exactly TB.  Doctors can give their opinion on how long Shaq's injury might take to heal, but everybody is different, and Shaq is more different than most (how many 39 year old, 350lb patients with 19 years of NBA wear do you think these doctors have treated?)

Even with the doctor's best guess the only thing that matters is how much pain Shaq is in.  He's the only guy who can tell us that, not Danny, not the best doctor in the world.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Exactly TB.  Doctors can give their opinion on how long Shaq's injury might take to heal, but everybody is different, and Shaq is more different than most (how many 39 year old, 350lb patients with 19 years of NBA wear do you think these doctors have treated?)

Even with the doctor's best guess the only thing that matters is how much pain Shaq is in.  He's the only guy who can tell us that, not Danny, not the best doctor in the world.

Shaq can say he has no or little pain, and he has said that, but then again, he could not prove that in practice, so the doctors could tell by looking at him that he's not ready.

« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Let's keep in mind that there's also more than one way that Danny could be lying.  Shaq might also be healthier than he's letting on and Danny may be trying to drop a surprise on the Heat.  

Of course he could be lying the other way.  

And of course he could be not lying at all.  I feel a lot of the doubters about Shaq are the same people who said that it was impossible for KG ever to get better than he was last year or for JO to ever get back.  Both of those statements are clearly false.  

So let's not jump to any conclusions and just hope for the best.  These "gut instincts" people keeping having are getting out of control.  

Yup, especially regarding JO. I'd say 90% of this board thought DA was lying, and that he'd never play again, or contribute anything. Obviously this has turned out to be not true, as he was huge in the series vs. the Knicks.

Even with the injury to KG back in Dec 2010 during the Detroit game, people thought it was 09' all over again (even though it was said to be a calf strain). So DA was right about that as well.

Lets not pretend that Danny purposely lies about every single injury to the Celtics. I'm sure if he knew that Shaq would be out indefinitely, he'd let us know. If not him, than Doc would.

« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Pflanns Paul Flannery
Skeptical RT @johnschuhmann: Shaq just walked through the Celtics' locker room with his game shorts on. Skepticism ensues among media.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

gwashburn14 gary washburn
Shaq walked through Celtics locker room with t-shirt and game shorts on. Status unclear but its encouraging sign that he's close #celtics
55 seconds ago