Author Topic: Injury update and return date thread  (Read 82172 times)

Re: Giving this its own thread -- Shaq won't practice today or tomorrow
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Nothings changed...that tweet by Sherrod (or some other Celtics writer) also mentioned that they hope to have him practice on Friday. If he does, I'm sure he can play Sunday. (that is if everything goes ok)

I would try to get him through a few practices before unleashing him. If he can't run today, I don't want him playing NBA-playoff basketball on Sunday.

If (and that's as big an if as Shaq himself) he can get through basic drills Friday, I'd aim for a return in Game 3 about a week later.

Bringing him back prematurely may be risking a re-aggravation of whatever is bothering him exactly.

I agree, I'd rather just leave him out until game 3 in Boston...just noting that Doc saying he won't practice today or Thursday doesn't necessarily mean he won't play at all in the Miami series.

Re: Injury update and return date thread
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I still say there's no reason at all to play him vs the Heat.  If we lost both games in Miami I'd consider it but we'll win both those games.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I still say there's no reason at all to play him vs the Heat.  If we lost both games in Miami I'd consider it but we'll win both those games.

Why do we have to cure our problems when we can just prevent them?

Re: Giving this its own thread -- Shaq won't practice today or tomorrow
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Nothings changed...that tweet by Sherrod (or some other Celtics writer) also mentioned that they hope to have him practice on Friday. If he does, I'm sure he can play Sunday. (that is if everything goes ok)

I would try to get him through a few practices before unleashing him. If he can't run today, I don't want him playing NBA-playoff basketball on Sunday.

If (and that's as big an if as Shaq himself) he can get through basic drills Friday, I'd aim for a return in Game 3 about a week later.

Bringing him back prematurely may be risking a re-aggravation of whatever is bothering him exactly.

I agree, I'd rather just leave him out until game 3 in Boston...just noting that Doc saying he won't practice today or Thursday doesn't necessarily mean he won't play at all in the Miami series.

TP about the last part.  I'm sick of people making these blanket statements.  People made these absurd statements about Jermaine O'Neal, saying that he was out for so long there's no way he's making it back.  They were wrong about that. 

Similarly, Shaq being out Wed. and Thurs. simply means that: he's out Wed. and Thurs.  Does it mean he'll be back Friday?  Nope.  But it also doesn't mean that if he is, he's out for the rest of the season. 

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
gwashburn14 gary washburn
Doc Rivers: Shaq will go through skeleton work today and practice tomorrow #celtics

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2011, 04:25:58 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Doc Rivers: Shaq will go through skeleton work today and practice tomorrow #celtics

There we go! Finally! I hope this means he will play in Game 1.

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Just skeleton workout...he is not going to jump or run. Friday is the real test...when he might get an actual practice.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This means absolutely nothing.  Until he actually makes it through an actual practice, there is no tangible evidence that he is closer to returning, and even then, he still has to respond well a couple days after the practice.

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

This means absolutely nothing.  Until he actually makes it through an actual practice, there is no tangible evidence that he is closer to returning, and even then, he still has to respond well a couple days after the practice.

Well, I wouldn't say it means nothing.  If they intend to put him through a practice, this assumption by some that Shaq is truly done for the year and this is just merely a rouse by Ainge is likely false. 

But you're right, it doesn't mean he's back yet.  However, it does look like he's on the track to getting there. 

LeBron better look out if he drives to the lane!

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/04/28/danny-ainge-on-big-show-shaq-cant-give-us-12-minutes-right-now/

Shaquille O’Neal will try to practice on Friday and the Celtics haven’t given up hope that he will be able to come back from his Achilles injury before the playoffs are over, but they also don’t want to put him in a position to play him before he’s ready.

“Right now he could not give us 12 minutes,” Celtics president Danny Ainge said on The Big Show Thursday afternoon. “We want Shaq healthy. If Shaq could give us 12 minutes in the first game without jeopardizing the following game he would probably be out there doing that but he’s not ready to do that yet.”

Ainge said the team was hopeful and that O’Neal was making progress, but they just don’t when he’ll be able to return.

“I wish I had an answer to that one,” Ainge said. “He looks better today. There’s progress. We’re still hopeful that he’ll be ready to play but it’s just taking longer to heal, or taking a while to heal and Shaq was determined to play Game 1 of the first playoff series and it’s just not been that way. He could probably go out and some thing but I’m not sure he could help much.”

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I imagine people are tired of hearing about all this "progress" Shaq is making, but if Shaq was able to get into skeleton workouts today after supposedly being ruled out of doing anything at all until POSSIBLY tomorrow, then for the time being at least that's evidence enough for me.

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

Just him getting our there is encouraging. I'll take it.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
he can't give them 12 minutes and the series starts Sunday? I highly doubt we see Shaq again

« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
ESPNForsberg Chris Forsberg
Doc on Shaq: "No decision made or anything. I’m more confident now that he’ll play in this series. I don’t know when."

ESPNForsberg Chris Forsberg
Doc said confidence comes from trainer Ed Lacerte: "Eddie’s more confident that he’ll play. That makes me more confident."

So far, so good for today.....but the day's young.

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This thing is just ridiculous now, Doc said the real test would come today (Friday) now on Shaq practicing he says he doesn't know maybe he'll do a little bit Saturday  ::)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk