Author Topic: Injury update and return date thread  (Read 82072 times)

Injury update and return date thread
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Since we have a lot of injured players, I thought it would be nice to have all the injury updates in one thread. As soon as somebody finds out something new, he shall post it here. I'll start:

Shaq (Globe, March 7):

Speaking at his birthday celebration at the Boston Children's Museum, Shaquille O'Neal said today that he could be back on the court within a week and his sore right foot and Achilles tendon is improving.

For what it's worth, it means he'll be back vs. Milwaukee on March 13 or @ New Jersey on March 14.

But then again (Globe, March 10):

Delonte West and Shaquille O’Neal could come back within a week, according to coach Doc Rivers. But they’re racing against the clock.

Baby (Globe, March 10):

Glen Davis (strained left patellar tendon) could be the first player to return from injury (albeit not this weekend, in all likelihood)

Maybe March 14 @ New Jersey.

Delonte (Globe, March 10):

Delonte West and Shaquille O’Neal could come back within a week, according to coach Doc Rivers. But they’re racing against the clock.

Seriously, what the heck? First they said two games at most, then 4 games (which would put him back vs. LAC), and today maybe one week?

Wafer (Herald, March 10):

Von Wafer said he is meeting with the Celtics [team stats] medical staff to learn more about the nature of his strained right calf, though the prognosis only seems to get worse for the guard.

“Von is going to be out for awhile,” said Rivers. “He’ll return, but two weeks, maybe three, maybe longer.”

I would say end of March, beginning of April. But why the heck did they say 2-3 games at most directly after the injury?

Jermaine (Herald, March 10):

Danny Ainge still believes that Jermaine O’Neal will return late in the regular season.

“I think he is going to play before the regular season is over,” the Celtics’ president of basketball operations said. “He’s going great, and he feels good. He’s upbeat. This is the most optimistic that I’ve seen him since he’s been here.”

Same as for Wafer. More like last week of the regular season.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:51:57 PM by P2 »

Re: Injury update and return date thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good thread idea.  I stickied it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!

Thanks! ;)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Great thread + it'll be a very useful sticky thread.

Great to have one place to go to for latest on injury situations.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I can't lie, the injury news on Delonte and Wafer are also bothering me. I have a hard time calling all of this simply being ultra-conservative.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
Forsberg's Twitter, YouTube channel and ESPN Celtics Blog also has updates frequently.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Didn't I hear Max and Grande last night say Shaq has been pushed out another two weeks?

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I can't lie, the injury news on Delonte and Wafer are also bothering me. I have a hard time calling all of this simply being ultra-conservative.

I don't think they are being conservative with Wafer.  I think he has an injury that is going to take a while to heal.  

Delonte is just an injury prone guy in general, so I think they are being extra careful with him.  I think they learned their lesson a bit from rushing him back before, and are waiting until he is really 100%.

With the big guys however, I really think they are being ultra conservative, which is why I think you can throw out any dates for them coming back.  

Particularly with Shaq and JO, they have no rush to get them back, and are going to continue to hold out as long as they can, with the hopes of having them healthy for the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:28 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
Particularly with Shaq and JO, they have no rush to get them back, and are going to continue to hold out as long as they can, with the hopes of having them healthy for the playoffs.

But we have to hope they won't be rusty, and they also have to get down some substantial playing time with the new guys before the playoffs start.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:41 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I don't understand why Von doesn't play through a strained calf. It doesn't seem like a crippling injury and he doesn't play that many minutes anyways.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

I don't think they are being conservative with Wafer.  I think he has an injury that is going to take a while to heal.  

Delonte is just an injury prone guy in general, so I think they are being extra careful with him.  I think they learned their lesson a bit from rushing him back before, and are waiting until he is really 100%.

With the big guys however, I really think they are being ultra conservative, which is why I think you can throw out any dates for them coming back.  

I hope and expect that they have Shaq back a week or two before the season ends to get him adjusted with the flow of the game again.  

Jermaine in a perfect world I'd say the say, but one week or the start of the playoffs is what I'm hoping for him.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't understand why Von doesn't play through a strained calf. It doesn't seem like a crippling injury and he doesn't play that many minutes anyways.

Strained calfs are very linguring injuries and you don't want to play on them until you are completely sure it is healed because they very easy to reinjur and set you back.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Whatever the pain level, a strained calf would make it very tough to jump, and where his only real strength is his jumpshooting, and athleticism, I think he is better off letting it heal.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Whatever the pain level, a strained calf would make it very tough to jump, and where his only real strength is his jumpshooting, and athleticism, I think he is better off letting it heal.
Plus the only way to recover from a strain is to rest it. (well rest plus rehab/treatment)

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Great thread. It will be a good place for info and clearly shows how the celtics try to minimize every injury aand how basically no one comes back when they are supposed to.