Author Topic: The Minnesota #2 we just acquired  (Read 7365 times)

Re: The Minnesota #2 we just acquired
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The only thing I can think is if this is referring to the first round pick from the Wally trade, which turned into a 2nd rounder, because Minnesota still owes LA a first round pick.  But I believe that would have ended up being a 2012 first rounder.  

But that pick was traded to Boston, and then back to Minnesota.  

...so, all in all, I am stumped.  

Also, I read this as we are recieving Minnesota's second rounder, not Boston's.  It is suggesting that it was Minnesota's second rounder that was traded to Boston, and somehow ended up in Cleveland. 

Basically though, I just think the website has things mixed up.

You know what, I think you're right.

The Minnesota pick was never unprotected; it was always contingent upon the Twolves pick that LA owned.  If we didn't receive the #1 by 2012 (I believe), we were to get Minnesota's #2 (and it very well may have been in 2013).  We then traded that pick back to Minnesota in the KG trade. 

So, Minnesota received its own #2 pick (originally given in the Ricky deal) back in the KG deal.  They then traded that pick to Cleveland, who sent it to us.

It's amazing the way Danny keeps doing this. Get the pick, trade it back to Minny, get it back from Cleveland. Trade the 5th pick away, trade for the player selected with that pick. Trade for the pick he got Rondo with, trade it away, trade for it again and use it on Rajon.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The only thing I can think is if this is referring to the first round pick from the Wally trade, which turned into a 2nd rounder, because Minnesota still owes LA a first round pick.  But I believe that would have ended up being a 2012 first rounder.  

Also, I read this as we are recieving Minnesota's second rounder, not Boston's.  It is suggesting that it was Minnesota's second rounder that was traded to Boston, and somehow ended up in Cleveland. 

The Minnesota pick was never unprotected; it was always contingent upon the Twolves pick that LA owned.  If we didn't receive the #1 by 2012 (I believe), we were to get Minnesota's #2 (and it very well may have been in 2013).  We then traded that pick back to Minnesota in the KG trade. 

So, Minnesota received its own #2 pick (originally given in the Ricky deal) back in the KG deal.  They then traded that pick to Cleveland, who sent it to us.

It's amazing the way Danny keeps doing this. Get the pick, trade it back to Minny, get it back from Cleveland. Trade the 5th pick away, trade for the player selected with that pick. Trade for the pick he got Rondo with, trade it away, trade for it again and use it on Rajon.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is coincidental more than anything else, but it's interesting.  And don't forget Antoine. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, I think a lot of it is coincidental more than anything else, but it's interesting.  And don't forget Antoine. ;)

I think its more than coincidental.  I think there are certain GMs that he has a great working relationship with (Presti, Petrie, formerly McHale), so he is more likely to work out deals with those guys, because they trust each other. 

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Actually, I would rather like to forget Antoine, if you don't mind.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think its more than coincidental.  I think there are certain GMs that he has a great working relationship with (Presti, Petrie, formerly McHale), so he is more likely to work out deals with those guys, because they trust each other. 

That's true, but a lot of the picks / players being talked about went through multiple hands.  For instance, we got the Minnesota pick "back" from Cleveland, not Minnesota.  We got the Rondo "back" from Phoenix, when we originally traded it to Atlanta. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Impressive, gents.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Hmm.. The picks we sent to Minny for Wally and Olowokandi have already been cashed on Craig Smith and Nikola Pekovic.

Typo, maybe?

Wait, we used to have the Pekovic pick?  How so? 

I know at one point we had a future Portland #2, which then got conveyed to Seattle in the Ray Allen trade.  Was that involved somehow?  It seems unlikely, but maybe I guess.

It's all pretty confusing, mostly because trades aren't accurately reported in the media.

I think that was the pick we got for Antoine Walker's sign and trade?.. then we traded it to Minnesota for Sczcerbiak and Olowokandi?.. confusing is right.

If I remember correctly, off the top of my head, in 2005 we signed and traded Toine to Miami for Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods and a second rounder. that must be the pekovic pick.

I thought the pick that we got in the Walker S&T was the first rounder that ended up being Delonte in '04.

Nevermind, i thought you meant the first 'Toine trade.

So It was this trade:

Olowokandi traded by the Minnesota Timberwolves with Dwayne Jones, Wally Szczerbiak and a 2009 1st round draft pick (Jonny Flynn) to the Boston Celtics for Marcus Banks, Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Justin Reed, a 2006 2nd round draft pick (Craig Smith) and a 2008 2nd round draft pick (Nikola Pekovic).