Author Topic: The Minnesota #2 we just acquired  (Read 7400 times)

The Minnesota #2 we just acquired
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hoopsworld lists the pick we got in the Erden / Harangody trade as follows:

Boston Celtics: Receives Minnesota's 2013 second-round pick (via Boston from the Delonte West trade on 7/26/10) via the Luke Harangody trade on 2/24/11.

Link

The part I find confusing is the "via Boston" part.  Normally, that means that the team trading the pick sent a pick that once belonged to another team; "via Boston" means that the pick at one time belonged to the Celts.

I understand the "Delonte West" part; Cleveland acquired Minnesota's pick in the deal that sent Delonte and Telfair to Minnesota for Sessions, Hollins, and a #2.  However, I assumed that this #2 was Minnesota's own pick.

So, does anybody know of a trade where Minnesota acquired one of our #2s?  I know that we sent two conditional #2s to Minnesota in the Wally / Ricky deal.  Did we send those already, or was one of them the 2013 pick?

It could be that Hoopsworld is just wrong here (it wouldn't be the first time), but obviously there could be a pretty big difference between a Twolves' #2 and the Celtics own pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: The Minnesota #2 we just acquired
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Hmm.. The picks we sent to Minny for Wally and Olowokandi have already been cashed on Craig Smith and Nikola Pekovic.

Typo, maybe? As a matter of fact, I think I read earlier that it is cleveland's pick, but top-55 protected for several years, and if the Cavs have a pick within 1-55 for 3 or so years, they don't have to give us the pick.

I think I explained that wrong.. working on a link.

Nope, i'm confused on this one.
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:47:29 PM by lon3lytoaster »

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Hmm.. The picks we sent to Minny for Wally and Olowokandi have already been cashed on Craig Smith and Nikola Pekovic.

Typo, maybe?

Wait, we used to have the Pekovic pick?  How so?  

I know at one point we had a future Portland #2, which then got conveyed to Seattle in the Ray Allen trade.  Was that involved somehow?  It seems unlikely, but maybe I guess.

It's all pretty confusing, mostly because trades aren't accurately reported in the media.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

Typo, maybe?

Wait, we used to have the Pekovic pick?  How so?  

I know at one point we had a future Portland #2, which then got conveyed to Seattle in the Ray Allen trade.  Was that involved somehow?  It seems unlikely, but maybe I guess.

It's all pretty confusing, mostly because trades aren't accurately reported in the media.

I think that was the pick we got for Antoine Walker's sign and trade?.. then we traded it to Minnesota for Sczcerbiak and Olowokandi?.. confusing is right.

If I remember correctly, off the top of my head, in 2005 we signed and traded Toine to Miami for Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods and a second rounder. that must be the pekovic pick.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Typo, maybe?

Wait, we used to have the Pekovic pick?  How so? 

I know at one point we had a future Portland #2, which then got conveyed to Seattle in the Ray Allen trade.  Was that involved somehow?  It seems unlikely, but maybe I guess.

I think that was the pick we got for Antoine Walker's sign and trade?.. then we traded it to Minnesota for Sczcerbiak and Olowokandi?.. confusing is right.

Ah, that could be.  Kind of a bummer in hindsight, I guess; a piece that we all saw as a throw-in in the trade turned out to be a decent center prospect.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

Typo, maybe?

Wait, we used to have the Pekovic pick?  How so? 

I know at one point we had a future Portland #2, which then got conveyed to Seattle in the Ray Allen trade.  Was that involved somehow?  It seems unlikely, but maybe I guess.

Ah, that could be.  Kind of a bummer in hindsight, I guess; a piece that we all saw as a throw-in in the trade turned out to be a decent center prospect.

Yea, I really liked him with the 30th pick, but there's no way he would of come over with the rookie scale being how it is in the first round.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The only thing I can think is if this is referring to the first round pick from the Wally trade, which turned into a 2nd rounder, because Minnesota still owes LA a first round pick.  But I believe that would have ended up being a 2012 first rounder.  

But that pick was traded to Boston, and then back to Minnesota.  

...so, all in all, I am stumped.  

Also, I read this as we are recieving Minnesota's second rounder, not Boston's.  It is suggesting that it was Minnesota's second rounder that was traded to Boston, and somehow ended up in Cleveland. 

Basically though, I just think the website has things mixed up.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The only thing I can think is if this is referring to the first round pick from the Wally trade, which turned into a 2nd rounder, because Minnesota still owes LA a first round pick.  But I believe that would have ended up being a 2012 first rounder.  

But that pick was traded to Boston, and then back to Minnesota.  

...so, all in all, I am stumped.  

Also, I read this as we are recieving Minnesota's second rounder, not Boston's.  It is suggesting that it was Minnesota's second rounder that was traded to Boston, and somehow ended up in Cleveland. 

Basically though, I just think the website has things mixed up.

You know what, I think you're right.

The Minnesota pick was never unprotected; it was always contingent upon the Twolves pick that LA owned.  If we didn't receive the #1 by 2012 (I believe), we were to get Minnesota's #2 (and it very well may have been in 2013).  We then traded that pick back to Minnesota in the KG trade. 

So, Minnesota received its own #2 pick (originally given in the Ricky deal) back in the KG deal.  They then traded that pick to Cleveland, who sent it to us.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The pick is from a July 26, 2010 deal with Cleveland, not Boston.

Timberwolves acquire Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair    

Cleveland acquires Ramon Sessions, Ryan Hollins, 2013 second round pick from MIN

West was waived a week later by Minnesota.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Cleveland acquires Ramon Sessions, Ryan Hollins, 2013 second round pick from MIN

Yeah, Cleveland got the pick from Minnesota.  The question was, did that Minnesota pick ever belong to Boston.  Chris' explanation seems to be the right one here, which is that Boston at one time had the potential to have that pick, before trading it back to the Twolves.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I can't find anything in either the Garnett or Szczerbiak trades that indicates Boston had the rights to that pick at any time, and traded it back to Minnesota.

The Szczerbiak trade netted a 1st from Minnesota that was payable two years after the Wolves sent the Clippers the 1st rounder they owed them, and that was sent back to MIN in the Garnett trade, as everyone remembers. There may have been protections on the pick that might have eventually turned it into a 2nd rounder, but all that was rendered moot with the Garnett trade.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
We should trade the pick for Dwight Howard and let the Magic figure it out.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yeah, Cleveland got the pick from Minnesota.  The question was, did that Minnesota pick ever belong to Boston.  Chris' explanation seems to be the right one here, which is that Boston at one time had the potential to have that pick, before trading it back to the Twolves.

So just to make sure I understand:

Boston now has Minnesota's 2013 2nd round pick.

All the confusion was because of the prior 2 trades involving Boston and Minny before the pick was sent to Cleveland.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

So just to make sure I understand:

Boston now has Minnesota's 2013 2nd round pick.

All the confusion was because of the prior 2 trades involving Boston and Minny before the pick was sent to Cleveland.
That would seem to be it.  Seems like we'll finally be getting that pick -- a lot of shuffling around for a second rounder.  Thankfully Minny should still stink at the time of that draft and we should get a decent player with that pick (taking Danny's skill at finding quality in the second round --> Gabe Pruitt notwithstanding  :P )

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
We should trade the pick for Dwight Howard and let the Magic figure it out.

;D ;D
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi