Author Topic: Theory: Lakers will get Howard this summer  (Read 14652 times)

Re: Lakers will get Howard this summer
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Interesting trade, but I see Gasol being a little more important to LA than Dwight right now.

LA runs (when Kobe isn't being a a ballhog) their offense through Gasol. When they do this, it makes them better.

Gasol is that talented.

Dwight? As great as he is becoming, you can't run the offense through him - not to the point of comparing him to Gasol.

I think that if LA even considers a trade like this, they will find some way to keep Gasol.

Now, Gasol-Dwight-Kobe? That's dangerous.

What is smart is if Dwight just signs in Green....we have a nice talented pass-first PG that will make Dwight very happy......

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
No they won't. Bynum is no longer a valuable asset. Sure he is pretty good when he is on the floor. But that doesn't happen enough anymore. What is that 4 surgeries on his knee?

No it doesn't mean the Celtics are going to get him, but the Lakers aren't.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't expect Howard to move this offseason.

I expect the earliest possible departure to be next year's trading deadline ... and I am not altogether sure that will happen soon enough for Dwight to decide to force his way out of Orlando.

Most likely, he leaves via free agency in 2012.

I really doubt he makes it into free-agency unless Orlando is over-the-top good next year to warrant him staying and see how it plays out.

Unless the Magic figure one more shot with Howard is worth losing him for nothing.
I think Orlando will require a definite "I'm leaving this summer" from Dwight Howard before they are ready to trade him.

If Dwight doesn't give them that answer, I think they'll play it out in the hopes of convincing him to stay in the summer.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't expect Howard to move this offseason.

I expect the earliest possible departure to be next year's trading deadline ... and I am not altogether sure that will happen soon enough for Dwight to decide to force his way out of Orlando.

Most likely, he leaves via free agency in 2012.

I really doubt he makes it into free-agency unless Orlando is over-the-top good next year to warrant him staying and see how it plays out.

Unless the Magic figure one more shot with Howard is worth losing him for nothing.
I think Orlando will require a definite "I'm leaving this summer" from Dwight Howard before they are ready to trade him.

If Dwight doesn't give them that answer, I think they'll play it out in the hopes of convincing him to stay in the summer.
Yeah I agree, no way they move him unless he gives them a Melo like ultimadum.

I also wonder if the Magic will require any team to drive and take Gilbert's contract... lol what an awful trade.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
howard comes to boston in a sign and trade in 2012.  thats why the perkins deal was made.  he plays center on that team, with rondo, green, and pierce.  kg comes back in a supporting role, and we get a sg somewhere.

For the Celtics to have cap space (enough to sign a player like Howard), Green will have to be off the cap. 

OK all of you great capologists in the sky!  Someone please explain to me why Green would need to come off the books?  According to what I read, we are only going to have 27mil committed that year, less draft picks.  The cap should at least be 58mil, but with the CBA expiring, I'd expect a lot of changes.  I think this can happen.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
howard comes to boston in a sign and trade in 2012.  thats why the perkins deal was made.  he plays center on that team, with rondo, green, and pierce.  kg comes back in a supporting role, and we get a sg somewhere.

For the Celtics to have cap space (enough to sign a player like Howard), Green will have to be off the cap. 

OK all of you great capologists in the sky!  Someone please explain to me why Green would need to come off the books?  According to what I read, we are only going to have 27mil committed that year, less draft picks.  The cap should at least be 58mil, but with the CBA expiring, I'd expect a lot of changes.  I think this can happen.

Look up cap hold, you free-agents (until they're signed) take up 3 times or so their salary.

We'll have to sign him to an amount that still allows for a max contract, or let go of our rights to him (which doesn't mean we can't still sign him, we just won't have bird rights on him).

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That trade doesnt look good for Lakers in the short term anyway. Trading both Bynum and Gasol at the same time makes for an awful trade.

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
howard comes to boston in a sign and trade in 2012.  thats why the perkins deal was made.  he plays center on that team, with rondo, green, and pierce.  kg comes back in a supporting role, and we get a sg somewhere.

Look up cap hold, you free-agents (until they're signed) take up 3 times or so their salary.

We'll have to sign him to an amount that still allows for a max contract, or let go of our rights to him (which doesn't mean we can't still sign him, we just won't have bird rights on him).

Throw in some rookie contracts and the cap holds for roster sports, that number drops very fast.  

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Howard/Nelson for Gasol/Bynum

Lakers get a PG and get rid of injury prone Bynum while his value his high.  Magic get big men to replace Howard.  Could also throw in Odom and Turk.  Neither team will want Artest or Arenas

Top Destinations like NY & Chi don't have room or salary.  Sleepers will be NJ and Bos.

I don't know what this is based on, but it actually makes sense..
The Celtic in me.

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope they do.  Howard can't replace both Bynum and Gasol.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Personally, I think the Celtics are hope to swing a sign and trade in two years using Green, the Clipper 1st and two of their own 1st to bring in Howard (fitting in a salary slot of Green and Cap space)

But I have no clue whether or not that would happen.  

Doubt Danny moves Green, I see him as the SF of the future. He's got the talent to be a special player, and if given the opportunity, I could really see him and Rondo developing something here for the future.

Of course, I'd never in a million years think Danny would have traded Perk either. So I'm just going to trust Danny's plan and keep on cheering.

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Personally, I think the Celtics are hope to swing a sign and trade in two years using Green, the Clipper 1st and two of their own 1st to bring in Howard (fitting in a salary slot of Green and Cap space)

But I have no clue whether or not that would happen.  

Doubt Danny moves Green, I see him as the SF of the future. He's got the talent to be a special player, and if given the opportunity, I could really see him and Rondo developing something here for the future.

Of course, I'd never in a million years think Danny would have traded Perk either. So I'm just going to trust Danny's plan and keep on cheering.

If it the difference between getting a player like Howard or not, Green is gone. 

If Green wants 10 million a year, he is gone. 

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Wow, first Shaqulle O'Neal leaves Orlando for L.A. (1996), then Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando closes down and re-locates to L.A. (2005) and now you're telling me that Dwight Howard wants to leave Orlando for L.A. as well?

What's with everything migrating away from Orlando to L.A., anyways? I mean, when Kobe Bryant wins an NBA championship (which he has done 5 times so far in his NBA career) somebody on his team will invariably declare that "...we're [the Los Angeles Lakers] going to Disney World!" which interestingly enough is only 21 miles south of the city of Orlando.

I'm thinking that Dwight Howard should stick with the Orlando Magic and hopefully the administration there will try to build a contender around him again, similar to the 2009 team that faced the city of Los Angeles and lost out yet again  :-[

Unfortunately for Dwight Howard the '09 Magic were not able to overcome the Lakers' homecourt advantage in L.A. and thus allowed Kobe Bryant his 4th 'trip to Disney World' in only 5 games, a slight improvement on the franchise's last stint in the NBA Finals where they lost in 4 games to the Houston Rockets (1995).

Maybe the Orlando Magic would do better during the NBA playoffs if their motivation was to kick other NBA teams out of Disney World, however they would first need to gain home-court advantage throughout the post-season for the other contenders to take them seriously ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_Studios
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:45:43 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
That trade doesnt look good for Lakers in the short term anyway. Trading both Bynum and Gasol at the same time makes for an awful trade.

And long-term. I really doubt Howard would sign an extension with them. Not a good enough supporting cast for him to stay. Only Kobe who would be in the late 30s during Howard's prime. Too much uncertainty, he can find a better situation.