Author Topic: Perk has signed an extension with OKC  (Read 15550 times)

Re: Perk has signed an extension with OKC
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »

Offline jpurthe1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
I am happy for PERK, he got what he wanted. The isseu was that he would not have gotten that here in Boston.

It was a greaat move for Boston, OKC and PERK.

We got what we wanted. I think we go after DHoward and maybe put in a flier for Oden (Danny knows his mom pretty well) ;)

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm glad for perk getting the $.  I would hate to see a leon powe like situation and HOPE his knees hold up.  That said I think its a risky signing by OK but get him while he's still mad at us.  I feel danny did the right thing, so far from 2 games (yes I know small sample) krstic looks like a far better player.

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
I don't think it's too risky for the Thunder. They won't be under the cap from some time now, so this contract won't kill them. They just have to extend their young and already good talent.

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
here's a confirmation from ESPN - no details, but confirming Roy's financial analysis:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6170182

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I did the math a couple of days ago and the max they could offer was a bit above $36 millions, including the raise this season. I mentioned the exact number in some other thread.

Fair deal for both parts. Perkins could get a little more in the open market, but considering the CBA negotiations and the risk of more restrictive rules and less money for salaries, he was smart to cash in. The Thunder are set for the future. They need a scoring big off the bench (ideally a guy with range) and to work Harden into the starting 5.

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
Quite a big gamble for a player with injury issues. I'm happy for Perk, though.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Who do we sign next???
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2011/03/01/kendrick-perkins-inks-extension/

No details on the length and money yet but it's done!
Where they able to offer him more than the C's because of cap room?

Future cap room doesn't make a difference.

Current cap room can be used to give a player a raise up to the amount the team has under the cap (i.e., a team with $3 million can give one player a $3 million raise) under certain circumstances.  That new salary can then be used as the basis of the extension.

Here, OKC had around $2 million in cap room.  They could have increased Perk's salary this year to around $6.6 million, which means that the extension could start around $7 million per season, and be for up to four years.

So it could be the around 30 million Perkins talked about.

110.5% of 6.6 million = 7.3 million starting salary.

Then .7 Million dollar rasies for each year. So that's 31 million on the extension, plus the original raise of 2 million. So Perkins could have gotten 33 million from OKC.

Yep.  And if 4 years, $33-ish million was enough to keep Perk in green long-term, I feel a little bit sick.  I understand the need for cap room, but that's an extremely reasonable deal.

Yeah for Perk thats somewhat of a steal. He could have easily gotten more than that from another team. Its too bad to loose him while hes going to be at that price.

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
It's a $9 millions per year salary. It's a good price for OKC but not some sort of unprecedented bargain. That would be Rondo's contract, for example.

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »

Offline tgreanier

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 154
  • The Patron Saint of Defense
I just saw it was 35 million over 4 years.
Bleeding green for 36 37 years.
"Maybe we do suck. But at least we don't wear yellow."

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
Congrats to Perkins. He is closer to his home and is on a great young team that is only going to get better. I don't think we have seen the last of Perkins in the Finals either.

I also hope we see him again this year!

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Congrats, Perkules! You got a good contract.

Now stay healthy and crush the fakers... Beat LA!

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It's a $9 millions per year salary. It's a good price for OKC but not some sort of unprecedented bargain. That would be Rondo's contract, for example.
Rondo's low scoring totals always set him up to get a bargain of a deal for the C's.

Ben Gordon got slightly more money, how crazy is that!?

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
Risky by OKC without him even suiting up and also makes me wonder if Perk is hurt more than he is letting on ihe signed this deal.  Wasnt the prevailing thought is he could get $50M ($10Mil a year for 5 years) in the open market.  Something is up!  He could have left $15M on the table. 

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Risky by OKC without him even suiting up and also makes me wonder if Perk is hurt more than he is letting on ihe signed this deal.  Wasnt the prevailing thought is he could get $50M ($10Mil a year for 5 years) in the open market.  Something is up!  He could have left $15M on the table. 
OKC was the prime team that was set to bid on him though, with the trade he no longer had the C's to bid against the Thunder.

Don't forget that the new CBA could have pushed down the value of his next contract by a ton too.