Author Topic: Perk has signed an extension with OKC  (Read 15484 times)

Re: Perk has signed an extension with OKC
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 10:48:19 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I'm happy for the big guy in a sad kind of way.
 :'(

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:52 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Who's the CBA expert - Roy?

Could the deal be bigger than the C's offer?

I don't believe so, this might just be the result of Perk's feeling betrayed...

In any case, wow

It doesn't say he signed anything, just that they agreed on a deal. It might not be an actual extension, but a new contract that he'll sign in the offseason. Are we assuming that reporters OKC understand the cap better than the local guys? Unless he's getting a raise now and then signing an extension. I can't believe that he'd just sign a deal that was clearly less than he could get this summer.

Hard to believe it's not an extension, considering that's all he could sign now, wouldn't you say?

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I think Perk signed it because he got scared. He got scared that he would be traded again, he got scared at the thought of having to move again to a new team and just wanted security in his life.

That could be a lot of it, but it also depends upon how much the extension is for.  If he got $36 million out of the Thunder, then he has to be a pretty happy guy right now; $9 million is probably right around his market value.

Would you have paid Perk this much if youre Ainge?

In another thread you mentioned how it would not be a bad gamble for Portland to give Oden 8.8 mil next year because there isnt long term investment.

I know Oden is not in the same class injury wise as Perk, but I would hesitate to invest that much for 4 years in a guy that is only worth that much if he is completely healthy for the 4 years. If his defense or rebounding drops off, you are looking at a dime a dozen center. Im thinking right now of the Eric Dampier contract that really killed the Mavs for a couple of years. I mean he did all the same intangible stuff that Perk does, but when it comes down to it, just isnt worth that kind of money. You have to score to win!

If this is fair market value for a 100% healthy Kendrick Perkins for 4 years, then I am glad we didnt pull the trigger. After next year, we will need to re-stock this team with scorers (sg and pf), and then add defensive role players like Perk.

I know that we still could have done that while holding on to Perk for the remainder of this year, but seperating the trade from resigning the guy, I think we made the right move by not signing.

"Would you have paid Perk this much if you're Ainge?"

Not relevant, since he couldn't.

Even if the deal is for 30 mill, Perk probably did the right thing, considering the injury potential.

Somehow I don't see him blowing his money on Bentleys and mansions...

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Hopefully, Perk's health will hold up. A great match, club and player, if it does.

Perk is exactly the type of physical presence, interior defender and rebounder, that a team with two perimeter scorers needs to allow them to compete against team's with legit size.

I am looking forward to seeing him play with the Thunder.

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I think Perk signed it because he got scared. He got scared that he would be traded again, he got scared at the thought of having to move again to a new team and just wanted security in his life.

That could be a lot of it, but it also depends upon how much the extension is for.  If he got $36 million out of the Thunder, then he has to be a pretty happy guy right now; $9 million is probably right around his market value.

Would you have paid Perk this much if youre Ainge?

In another thread you mentioned how it would not be a bad gamble for Portland to give Oden 8.8 mil next year because there isnt long term investment.

I know Oden is not in the same class injury wise as Perk, but I would hesitate to invest that much for 4 years in a guy that is only worth that much if he is completely healthy for the 4 years. If his defense or rebounding drops off, you are looking at a dime a dozen center. Im thinking right now of the Eric Dampier contract that really killed the Mavs for a couple of years. I mean he did all the same intangible stuff that Perk does, but when it comes down to it, just isnt worth that kind of money. You have to score to win!

If this is fair market value for a 100% healthy Kendrick Perkins for 4 years, then I am glad we didnt pull the trigger. After next year, we will need to re-stock this team with scorers (sg and pf), and then add defensive role players like Perk.

I know that we still could have done that while holding on to Perk for the remainder of this year, but seperating the trade from resigning the guy, I think we made the right move by not signing.

"Would you have paid Perk this much if you're Ainge?"

Not relevant, since he couldn't.

Even if the deal is for 30 mill, Perk probably did the right thing, considering the injury potential.

Somehow I don't see him blowing his money on Bentleys and mansions...

Im pretty sure he could have after the season was over.

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Congrats to Perk.

And I think he is a better fit with OKC's young stars than our young star. Durant and Westbrook will carry that offensive load forever. Rondo needs a big that can put the ball in the basket and finish his passes at the rim.

Don't know if I could've signed off on this extension(even though the C's couldn't have during this season) without an elite scorer on the roster under the age of 33 years old.

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Good for Perk, I'm glad he won't have to worry about blowing out his knee before getting paid. I will be rooting for him and the Thunder to take out the Lakers for years to come then

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Didn't the Thunder get some more cap space with the trades they just made?  So the figure could be more?

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Good for Perkins.  He deserved to get paid, and I am glad he did before he had a chance to get hurt again.  I also hope this allows him to play more comfortably down the stretch.

I think he is a good fit on that team (although not nearly the last piece to the puzzle as some suggest), and it I think he will be worth every penny going forward on that team (not sure he would have in Boston).

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Huge risk. Coming off major ACL surgery, played in a limited amount of games this year, sprains his MCL on a standard play.........also will take some time to get his 2008 lift back. He's not the same player yet, and with his height and weight, you don't immediately recover from ACL or any knee injury. You need rest and time. Without any more setbacks, when do you think Perk is back to 100% ? And when will he conceivably have his same lift and mobility ?

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This is a Win-Win-Win:

Perk wins because he gets his raise and security, and as others have said, given the question marks about his health, it was a great hedge (at worst).

The Thunder win by spending less for him now than they would have on the open market.

The Cs win because they got great value for a center of questionable health, whose contributions on the court for the remainder of this season were absolutely not guaranteed, and whom we were going to lose in a bidding war, anyway.

For us, the part about his ability to contribute on the court for us for the remainder of the season is a huge question mark in my mind and in and of itself a big factor in evaluating the trade as being warranted.

Many players' histories regarding major reconstructive knee surgery (TA, KG, etc.) have shown that it takes a full year to recover and not until the next year that the player is able to perform to their previous level at best.

We would not have had that KP (i.e. the fully healed one) playing for us this year, and if he remained healthy OKC had way more $$$ to give him next, and we wouldn't have had him then either.

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
34.8 million for 4 years. They can have him.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This is like a pretty dumb move to me. Resigning Perk is a must after all they gave up to get him, but to not even see the guy play a handful of games with your team befor doing it seems like a bit of a panic move .

Perk is coming off of major knee surgery where he tore all 3 ligaments , yes he rehabbed faster than usual, but within 3 weeks of his return he hurt his healthy MCL on his other knee. I realize the most recent injury to perk is only a sprained MCL, but if it continues to bother him at all and he overcompensates for the pain in that knee and puts more pressure on the surgically repaired knee he could be at very high risk to blow it out again.

So first OKC trades for him thinking he was going to miss the next couple of game and then  it turns out he will be out close to a month and now they ioffer him a contract without seeing him even play with their roster.

This could turn into one of the worst deals ever if Perk gets injured again and OKC is stuck paying him a pretty big contract.

Also they completely take themselves out of the running for possibly acquiring Dwight Howard in 2012. I would want to at least see perk play throuigh the playoffs before I did that. It's not like another contender could offer him more than the MLE

dumb, dumb, dumb

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is like a pretty dumb move to me. Resigning Perk is a must after all they gave up to get him, but to not even see the guy play a handful of games with your team befor doing it seems like a bit of a panic move .

Perk is coming off of major knee surgery where he tore all 3 ligaments , yes he rehabbed faster than usual, but within 3 weeks of his return he hurt his healthy MCL on his other knee. I realize the most recent injury to perk is only a sprained MCL, but if it continues to bother him at all and he overcompensates for the pain in that knee and puts more pressure on the surgically repaired knee he could be at very high risk to blow it out again.

So first OKC trades for him thinking he was going to miss the next couple of game and then  it turns out he will be out close to a month and now they ioffer him a contract without seeing him even play with their roster.

This could turn into one of the worst deals ever if Perk gets injured again and OKC is stuck paying him a pretty big contract.

Also they completely take themselves out of the running for possibly acquiring Dwight Howard in 2012. I would want to at least see perk play throuigh the playoffs before I did that. It's not like another contender could offer him more than the MLE

dumb, dumb, dumb
I doubt OKC traded for Perkins without knowing exactly how long his MCL sprain would sideline him.

Just because the C's said he'd be out the roadtrip (and left out that it'd be longer) doesn't mean OKC didn't have more information.

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
8.7 per year is at the outer limits of I would have wanted the C's to sign him for. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce