Author Topic: Perk has signed an extension with OKC  (Read 15480 times)

Re: Perk has signed an extension with OKC
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I did some quick math based on the figures in this thread - assuming each year's salary is 110.5% of the previous year, and Perk's salary for this year went up to 6.6 million, the extension looks like this:

Year 1: 7.293
Year 2: 8.059
Year 3: 8.905
Year 4: 9.840
Total: 34.097 million

Plus the ~2 million raise, that's just over 36 million total.  Don't know enough about the rules on extensions to know if this is accurate, but I think Danny would've balked at effectively a $9 million average salary.
Your numbers are off slightly, the raises don't compound in the CBA. You can get raises of 10.5% of the first year of the contract you're extending.

Year 0 6.6 (2 million new)
Year 1 7.293
Year 2 7.986
Year 3 8.679
Year 4 9.372

Total: 35.33 for four years

I'd also say again if he'd hit FA, his salary could be a heck of a lot higher if OKC/C's both bid on him (more years and higher raises)

Perkins locking in this extension is likely because of the risk of injury, plus I gather that OKC was the prime team with cap room that'd allow his agent to have two teams bid on him. With the C's out of the running OKC had a stronger position.

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Who's the CBA expert - Roy?

Could the deal be bigger than the C's offer?

I don't believe so, this might just be the result of Perk's feeling betrayed...

In any case, wow

It doesn't say he signed anything, just that they agreed on a deal. It might not be an actual extension, but a new contract that he'll sign in the offseason. Are we assuming that reporters OKC understand the cap better than the local guys? Unless he's getting a raise now and then signing an extension. I can't believe that he'd just sign a deal that was clearly less than he could get this summer.

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To be exact, OKC had $2,056,512 of cap space (assuming reported salaries are accurate).

They could give that amount to Perk this year, bringing his base salary this year to $6,696,720.  He would be eligible for annual raises of $703,155.60.

So, total contract value could look like this:

Year 0:  $2,056,512 raise
Year 1:  $7,399,875.60
Year 2:  $8,103,031.20
Year 3:  $8,806,186.80
Year 4:  $9,509,342.40
--------------------------

Total:  $33,818,436 + $2,056,512 raise = $35,874,948

So, the extension should be a max of 4 years, $35.87 million

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Perk is no longer a C now, so who cares?
A lot of us.

So he signs an extension, big deal.  What did you think he was going to do, retire because he's not on the Celtics?

His trade meant he was not coming back any time soon.  Just because he signed with OKC doens't mean he can't be traded to an EC team.

Perk is gone, get over it.  
if you can care less about Perk/NBA related news why are you in here?!

Looking for real news; guess I failed.

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
A lot of us.

So he signs an extension, big deal.  What did you think he was going to do, retire because he's not on the Celtics?

His trade meant he was not coming back any time soon.  Just because he signed with OKC doens't mean he can't be traded to an EC team.

For one thing, it matters because he'd have been a top target for teams like the Heat this summer.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A lot of us.

So he signs an extension, big deal.  What did you think he was going to do, retire because he's not on the Celtics?

His trade meant he was not coming back any time soon.  Just because he signed with OKC doens't mean he can't be traded to an EC team.

Just because he is gone doesnt mean that he isnt still relevent.  Also its very relevent to us because part of the reason people are saying perk was traded was because we could'nt resign him this off season.  This gives us more insight into what it would take.  Alot of people care

Not necessarily.  What the C's could offer now wasn't enough, though what OKC could was.  Yet, if he made it healthy and unsigned to the off-season, he presumably would/could still have tested the market and likely got 40% more, for more years, than this mid-year deal.

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I did some quick math based on the figures in this thread - assuming each year's salary is 110.5% of the previous year, and Perk's salary for this year went up to 6.6 million, the extension looks like this:

Plus the ~2 million raise, that's just over 36 million total.  Don't know enough about the rules on extensions to know if this is accurate, but I think Danny would've balked at effectively a $9 million average salary.
Your numbers are off slightly, the raises don't compound in the CBA. You can get raises of 10.5% of the first year of the contract you're extending.

Gotcha, wasn't sure about that.  Based on Roy's numbers it looks like the total was pretty similar - just under $36 million total.  I don't think Danny pays that, and that's assuming multiple bidders don't drive it up like you said. 

Either way it's moot for us, but I'm glad Perk got his big contract.

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
To be exact, OKC had $2,056,512 of cap space (assuming reported salaries are accurate).

They could give that amount to Perk this year, bringing his base salary this year to $6,696,720.  He would be eligible for annual raises of $703,155.60.

So, total contract value could look like this:

Year 0:  $2,056,512 raise
Year 1:  $7,399,875.60
Year 2:  $8,103,031.20
Year 3:  $8,806,186.80
Year 4:  $9,509,342.40
--------------------------

Total:  $33,818,436 + $2,056,512 raise = $35,874,948

So, the extension should be a max of 4 years, $35.87 million

So about 9 million per yeaer potentially. Hmm, well that's the upper limit of what I think Perkins is worth.

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Plus the ~2 million raise, that's just over 36 million total.  Don't know enough about the rules on extensions to know if this is accurate, but I think Danny would've balked at effectively a $9 million average salary.

Gotcha, wasn't sure about that.  Based on Roy's numbers it looks like the total was pretty similar - just under $36 million total.  I don't think Danny pays that, and that's assuming multiple bidders don't drive it up like you said. 

Either way it's moot for us, but I'm glad Perk got his big contract.
Roy has the exact numbers now with OKC's cap room. Good for Perk, he earned his pay day.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The interesting thing is that today was the last day to work out a contract renegotiation.  Presti works quickly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I think Perk signed it because he got scared. He got scared that he would be traded again, he got scared at the thought of having to move again to a new team and just wanted security in his life.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think Perk signed it because he got scared. He got scared that he would be traded again, he got scared at the thought of having to move again to a new team and just wanted security in his life.

That could be a lot of it, but it also depends upon how much the extension is for.  If he got $36 million out of the Thunder, then he has to be a pretty happy guy right now; $9 million is probably right around his market value.

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That could be a lot of it, but it also depends upon how much the extension is for.  If he got $36 million out of the Thunder, then he has to be a pretty happy guy right now; $9 million is probably right around his market value.
And he's also now secured against an injury during the remainder of this year's season and playoffs.

Given how much the ACL injury played into this season (and game 7) I have to think Perkins would be worried about that.

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Good for him.

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Would you have paid Perk this much if youre Ainge?

In another thread you mentioned how it would not be a bad gamble for Portland to give Oden 8.8 mil next year because there isnt long term investment.

I know Oden is not in the same class injury wise as Perk, but I would hesitate to invest that much for 4 years in a guy that is only worth that much if he is completely healthy for the 4 years. If his defense or rebounding drops off, you are looking at a dime a dozen center. Im thinking right now of the Eric Dampier contract that really killed the Mavs for a couple of years. I mean he did all the same intangible stuff that Perk does, but when it comes down to it, just isnt worth that kind of money. You have to score to win!

If this is fair market value for a 100% healthy Kendrick Perkins for 4 years, then I am glad we didnt pull the trigger. After next year, we will need to re-stock this team with scorers (sg and pf), and then add defensive role players like Perk.

I know that we still could have done that while holding on to Perk for the remainder of this year, but seperating the trade from resigning the guy, I think we made the right move by not signing.