Author Topic: Perk has signed an extension with OKC  (Read 15486 times)

Perk has signed an extension with OKC
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

Re: Perk has signed an extension with OKC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2011/03/01/kendrick-perkins-inks-extension/

No details on the length and money yet but it's done!

how's that? From what I understood, they can't give him more than what we offered before he got traded.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2011/03/01/kendrick-perkins-inks-extension/

Where they able to offer him more than the C's because of cap room?

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
hmmm..methinks there is a lot more to this story than being told..

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald

I have no idea, the article basically just says he has signed but has no details yet.

Here is the article quoted :

The Oklahoma City Thunder has agreed to terms on a contract extension for Kendrick Perkins, the 6-foot-10 center acquired via trade with Boston last Thursday, The Oklahoman has learned.

Terms of the deal were not immediately known, but Perkins is eligible for a four-year extension. Perkins earlier this season had turned down a four-year offer worth approximately $22 million from the Celtics.

With the two sides agreeing to a deal now, the risk of Perkins leaving the Thunder as an unrestricted free agent this summer has been removed.

Perkins said in his introductory press conference Saturday that he wanted to be in Oklahoma City for “the long haul.”

“I hope I can be here,” Perkins said. “I (want to) be here. I couldn’t find a better situation for myself. I really want to be here. It’s just a great organization.”

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Excellent.  He's off the market for Miami. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
This is fantastic news. Keeps him out of the Eastern Conference where he would propel Miami or the Knicks over the Celtics next year.

Also, I have a new favorite team to root for to knock off the Lakers every year.

Good for Perk if he got more money. If he got similar money to what we offered, I want some splaining.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:04:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they will regret this decision.  Who signs an injured player coming off an injury the previous year without seeing him play?   If KP gets hurt again it will hamper them.  In some ways its a bigger gamble than Danny took.

I am glad he cashed in and I hope he stays healthy but I question the wisdom of this decision.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think they will regret this decision.  Who signs an injured player coming off an injury the previous year without seeing him play?   If KP gets hurt again it will hamper them.  In some ways its a bigger gamble than Danny took.

I am glad he cashed in and I hope he stays healthy but I question the wisdom of this decision.

It depends on the contract.  They got the C they want now.   

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Who's the CBA expert - Roy?

Could the deal be bigger than the C's offer?

I don't believe so, this might just be the result of Perk's feeling betrayed...

In any case, wow

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
At least he's not going to the Heat.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Future cap room doesn't make a difference.

Current cap room can be used to give a player a raise up to the amount the team has under the cap (i.e., a team with $3 million can give one player a $3 million raise) under certain circumstances (i.e., the player playing on a four year contract).  That new salary can then be used as the basis of the extension.

Here, OKC had around $2 million in cap room.  They could have increased Perk's salary this year to around $6.6 million, which means that the extension could start around $7 million per season, and be for up to four years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:44 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald

In any case, wow

From what I've heard and understood, OKC couldn't offer any more years or dollars than we offered him. So he either took the same amount we offered him or took even less!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Smart move by Perk given his injury situation and the nice team he's with.  The Thunder will be much more careful with Perk than the Celts were going to be.....that's also good for Perk.  That's especially true with the extension but also before the extension they weren't about to gamble with Perk's knees after giving up a 2012 first rounder and the fact that Perk's just a bit older than their superstar core.....

Good luck Perk.  If the Celtics have a down year or two going forward I'll enjoy watching the Thunder take down the Heat in the finals.....

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:12:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In any case, wow

From what I've heard and understood, OKC couldn't offer any more years or dollars than we offered him. So he either took the same amount we offered him or took even less!

See above.  I haven't given this much thought, but I think OKC can give him an immediate raise, and then extend him from there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes