Author Topic: OFWGKTA  (Read 30234 times)

Re: OFWGKTA
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Oddly enough I like it, but listening to that type of crap probably wouldn't get me in the right mood. The music's not exactly sending out positive vibes. I'm trying to decide whether I'll listen to more or stop.

...these kids are messed up in the head I'm gonna let it be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:46:14 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Oddly enough I like it, but listening to that type of crap probably wouldn't get me in the right mood. The music's not exactly sending out positive vibes. I'm trying to decide whether I'll listen to more or stop.

I think it's more of an act than really being messed up in the head.

1. Hodgy Beats has posted on twitter before that it's just an act.
2. Tyler raps about drugs and he's actually straight edge.
3. If you watch videos of them just hanging out in their hometown they seem like normal teenagers... rebellious skateboarders yes... profane yes... but they're not out raping girls and doing drugs and killing people. A lot of them smoke weed but they're nothing like their lyrics insinuate.
4. They say a lot of satanic things in their songs and talk about the devil and throw upside down crosses everywhere but they're not satanic... that's just a front because controversy helps them gain exposure. They're atheists... Hodgy went as far as to say that he believes in Spirituality and what not but he doesn't like the idea of organized religion over his twitter.
5. Some of seem to actually be pretty smart (Tyler, Earl, Hodgy); they know what they're doing.

EDIT: Actually the things that I mentioned that Hodgy has said came from his tumblr which is linked to his twitter.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:39:18 PM by MattG12 »

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i like it....alot!  where can i find their music

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
i like it....alot!  where can i find their music

http://www.oddfuture.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/OFWGKTA

Their controversial approach really does work. The first time I heard them... (After Kanye West posted the "Yonkers" video on Facebook) I thought Tyler was the scariest guy ever and I thought the lyrics were stupid and unnecessarily vulgar. I like to give people a chance though... so then I watched the "Earl" video. Then I just about gave up on them because the video was so disturbing I couldn't focus on the lyrics. Then I saw the Jimmy Fallon performance which made me immediately think of Wu-Tang Clan. Then I actually analyzed the lyrics of "Earl" and "Yonkers" and realized that they're actually pretty brilliant. I followed this up by watching probably every interview they have on Youtube and I realized they're actually what I would consider normal teenagers. They just happen to be musically gifted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcHxiWwubnk

This is an interview Odd Future did with Nardwuar... an excellent interviewer of musicians from Canada. There are a lot of swears just so everybody knows. You see how the Odd Future people don't take the interview process seriously... but you also find out how much Tyler knows about music (Not just rap). When they're being interviewed they remind me a lot of the Beatles except a lot more vulgar. Like the Beatles, Odd Future has blown up a ton in a short period of time. They are making the rounds doing interviews and they are being asked the same questions by everybody. Naturally, being rebellious, Tyler often lies in interviews. Because of this, you have to take everything you hear about Odd Future with a grain of salt. They fool around in interviews a lot like the Beatles did.

I originally wasn't sure if I liked them or hated them but now I can honestly say I love them. These are not bad kids. You can see how grateful they are if you actually pay attention to Tyler and Hodgy after the Jimmy Fallon performance rather than all of the commotion going on around them. They look relieved to have pulled off a stellar performance and they also can't help but let their true personalities show rather than the scary front they put on when performing.

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »

Offline __34__

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Wow, I like it. Where are they from?

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Wow, I like it. Where are they from?

According to Tyler they're from LA but he's from Compton... but Tyler said that so who really knows if there's any truth to it.

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I didn't know what to think of them at first, but i'm 100% a fan now. Tyler was able to actually bring out some fire in BoB too. The Onyx comparisons are on point, that was the first group that came to mind.

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I should also let it be known that... all of their music is available via FREE download off of their website, which I posted a link to a couple posts ^.

When you get to the website... click the upside down cross under the "Yonkers" video.

This will take you to the OF tumblr. There are a bunch of words at the top of the page under the title OFWGKTA... these are links to download all of their albums that they have released so far. My favorite album is Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. by Tyler.

Tyler's next album, Goblin, has an expected release date of May 10th... and considering the major growth they've seen I'm guessing it won't be free. I know I will be buying it.

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

I think it's more of an act than really being messed up in the head.

1. Hodgy Beats has posted on twitter before that it's just an act.
2. Tyler raps about drugs and he's actually straight edge.
3. If you watch videos of them just hanging out in their hometown they seem like normal teenagers... rebellious skateboarders yes... profane yes... but they're not out raping girls and doing drugs and killing people. A lot of them smoke weed but they're nothing like their lyrics insinuate.
4. They say a lot of satanic things in their songs and talk about the devil and throw upside down crosses everywhere but they're not satanic... that's just a front because controversy helps them gain exposure. They're atheists... Hodgy went as far as to say that he believes in Spirituality and what not but he doesn't like the idea of organized religion over his twitter.
5. Some of seem to actually be pretty smart (Tyler, Earl, Hodgy); they know what they're doing.

EDIT: Actually the things that I mentioned that Hodgy has said came from his tumblr which is linked to his twitter.

Messed up in the head as in a bit too weird for me. Not actually being literally crazy and stuff. Meh I said i'd leave it alone, but meh curiosity you know how it goes.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 12:27:29 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I'm seeing these guys live at Paradise Rock Club in Boston next Wednesday... soooo excited!  ;D

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:06 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Saw them tonight... AWESOME SHOW!

I also bought Tyler's CD, Goblin, on Tuesday... so here is a review:

ALBUM REVIEW

Tyler, the Creator – Goblin: 7 out of 10 stars

1)   Goblin ****
Excellent intro… expressive, personal, good beat – drum rolls and rain drops, paradoxical, Tyler talks with his therapist from Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.… good promising start to the album.

2)   Yonkers *****
One of Tyler’s best songs to date, excellent production, haunting lyrics, the music video only makes this song better, the therapist turns into a Wolf Gang supporter on this song which makes us question the therapist.

3)   Radicals ***1/2
Angry song, above average beat, radical hook, too much talking, this song should not be 7 minutes long… it would have been a better 3 minute song.

4)   She ****
Above average beat although it sounds like the beats aren’t anywhere near as good as Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. yet. Really good input from Frank Ocean on his verse and his hook. Tyler lays down serious, good verses.

5)   Transylvania ***1/2
I don’t like when Eminem pretends he’s Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, nor do I like when Tyler, the Creator pretends he’s Dracula. Be yourself. As much as I hate the concept of rapping under some random persona… the lyrics are pretty good. The beat is mediocre which is surprising considering it was produced by Left Brain.

6)   Nightmare ***
Kind of a serious track. Tyler gets pretty personal. The lyrics are great and it’s a shame because the rest of the song is, eh. I don’t like the hook… and there are like 5 different beats on this song and they’re at different tempos and they’re not that good… it just makes the song sound weird. Pitch changing within in the raps… very cool.

7)   Tron Cat *****
One of my favorite songs on the album… really dark, haunting beat… a good one this time. Lyrics are awesome and just crazy.

8)   Her ***1/2
Seems to be becoming a theme… good lyrics, awful beat. Another personal song about a relationship, which may be fairly true.

9)   Sandwitches *****
Obviously doesn’t match the intensity of the live version but still awesome. Similar beat to Tron Cat, which is luckily one of the good ones on the album. Crazy lyrics from Tyler and Hodgy but not to the point that it seems forced. Just a great song.

10)   Fish / Boppin’ B. ** / ***1/2
Fish is pretty bad from the hook to the beat. I enjoy Tyler’s flow on this song and that’s about it. Frank Ocean… Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.? Seriously not good on this song. Then comes Boppin’ B****… not sure why it isn’t its own song… subject matter is completely different, beat is different… weird setup. Boppin’ B**** is pretty funny… The beat is funny and sounds like pop mixed with a Tyler a beat. Hook is funny. Tyler speeds up his rapping a little bit on this song… and he’s pretty good when he does that… it’s a good change every once in a while.

11)   Analog ***
Beat is bad… I really like Hodgy on this song. Tyler sounds like he does not give a s*** about this song… lazy, boring verses from Tyler. It’s a shame this song is so bad overall because Hodgy is really good on it… but that’s normal for Hodgy… dude is mad talented.

12)   B.S.D. ***
Ode to Waka Flocka. I’ll listen to this when I’m messing around… Similar to “Tina” on Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. Also happens to feature OF’s two worst rappers (Taco and Jasper). Kind of funny. Obviously not good but it will still get plays in my car. Things start to get crazy at the end when Tyler kills Taco and Jasper.

13)   Window ****1/2
Woah! I did not see this one coming. Excellent verses all around from Domo, Frank, Hodgy, Mike G, and Tyler… then craziness ensues at the end. Slow beat, could be better but it matches the vocals.

14)   AU79 ***
Instrumental… and it’s a good one. But, what’s the point?

15)   Golden ***1/2
Good verses… end of the therapist story. I like the choir, and the synth… but Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is this percussion? Overall above average song.

16)   Burger ****
Bonus songs start here. Pretty good beat on this one. Hodgy comes on to make the song even better.

17)   Untitled 63 ***
Another instrumental… cymbal heavy. Chimes play what sounds like Elmo’s song… I might be able to rap over it… but it’s only a minute long… so… again… what’s the point?

18)   Steak Sauce ***1/2
This came out of nowhere… it was really weird. I have no idea what Tyler was talking about in the beginning. It was like the song was cut off at the beginning. Bad beat. Later in the song the lyrics get better… good wordplay.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 01:44:06 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/near-riot-breaks-out-at-album-signing%3B-officer-injured-20110512

^ Fox Boston story about the people of Odd Future's CD signing at Newbury Comics today and the riots that were started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0Xr0p9gkk

^ Tyler performing "Yonkers" live at Paradise Rock Club in Boston... the crowd was NUTS! (Warning - Swears)

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 03:43:16 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Have liked Odd Future for a while, p---ed I missed them the other night... but i'm pretty disappointed with Goblin. I've listened to it a couple times and like 1/2 the songs are garbage.

Free Earl.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I liked it--it does remind me of Wu-Tang and has that gritty (but not so mainstream/polished) feel of ONYX. Remember those wingnuts?
::)

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 05:24:51 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Man I didnt even know tthey were in town!

These guys have my attention just like Im sure Wu Tang would have if I was older than 7 when 36 chambers came out. A lot of creative grassroots marketing to get their name out there and their music is undeniably original. The lyrics can be uncomfortable but sometime music is supposed to be like that. I dont expect the radio to be playing anything like this anytime soon. Im also sure that these guys will be getting the same kind of negative attention Eminem did if they blow up.

TP Matt. Glad you had fun!

BTW if I had to put my finger on their sound, I would say a mix between MF Doom and Necro.