Author Topic: OFWGKTA  (Read 30213 times)

OFWGKTA
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Alright everybody... I've been listening to this group for a few days now and I'm very interested in hearing some other opinions. At this point I'm still not sure if I like them or not. On the one hand their beats are like something out of the '90s and they remind me of one of my favorite group of rappers ever: Wu-Tang Clan. On the other hand their lyrics disgust me for the most part and they somewhat scare me.

The group is Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All AKA Odd Future AKA Wolf Gang AKA OFWGKTA. They are a group of 11 kids ages 17-20. Within the group are two pairings EarlWolf (Tyler, the Creator & Earl Sweatshirt) and MellowHype (Hodgy Beats & Left Brain).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyMuBi-kH8

This is basically the only song I can put up on here that wouldn't need a disclaimer and wouldn't force CB to suspend my account... and it's only clean because they're on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. A few well-known artists have come out in support of Wolf Gang including Mos Def, The Roots, and Kanye West (I heard about them when Kanye West posted a Tyler, the Creator video on his facebook page).

Listen to the rest on your own. I'm not going to put up links for their actual music videos because of the content... but try listening to "Yonkers" by Tyler, the Creator and  "EARL" by Earl Sweatshirt... who just turned 17 yesterday.

Enjoy! or not... let me know what you all think!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:55:13 AM by MattG12 »

Re: OFWGKTA
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Any group that raps about raping women isn't a group that I want to listen to.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »

Offline JBone4eva

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 17
I've been a huge fan for about half year. I especially love Earls work (free Earl) they are a bit off but at the end of the day they make some good music.  Tyler is def going places, guy is talented as an emcee and producer and he has an insane amount of charisma about him.  Despite all of that I still feel Earl is the most talented of the crew but who knows how his career is going to play out.  Im also a huge fan of Mellowhype, left brains production just does it for me.

again i can understand if they come of a bit extreme but I love it. I love seeing the shine they're finally getting now. they deserve it, they've been consistently putting out quality free music for about 2 years now.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Update:

Odd Future performed live last night at the MTV U Woodie Awards. Here is a video of their performance...

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/632722/yonkers-sandwitches-live.jhtml#id=1659286

And here is a good video that I just watched if anybody wants to get a little bit of background on the group...

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/625348/the-wonderful-adventures-of-odd-future-wolf-gang-kill-them-all.jhtml#id=1658644

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm a rap fan for sure.

And this is completely garbage, IMO.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I saw that Jimmy Fallon performance on tv when it happened and it gave me chills. The crazy thing is that most of them are under 21.

Tyler, the creator is the main dude in the group. He reminds me of a poor man's Eminem (Slim Shady LP).

The only other dude I like is that Earl Sweatshirt kid. For 16, dude has a sick mind.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Not feeling it. Too much random yelling.  I understand they're young, but they're are some much better young rappers out there.  A guy I've been on lately is Dee-1.  His flow and lyrics are great.  My only issue with him is he doesn't swear but he uses other words instead like he used bullskit in a song, which just didn't sound right.  Check out this song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IGfv8zSgw

do it

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I liked it--it does remind me of Wu-Tang and has that gritty (but not so mainstream/polished) feel of ONYX. Remember those wingnuts? I'd like to hear more--post more links cause I can't find them on iTunes.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I saw that Jimmy Fallon performance on tv when it happened and it gave me chills. The crazy thing is that most of them are under 21.

Tyler, the creator is the main dude in the group. He reminds me of a poor man's Eminem (Slim Shady LP).

The only other dude I like is that Earl Sweatshirt kid. For 16, dude has a sick mind.

I like Tyler & Earl like most people do... I also like MellowHype (Hodgy Beats & Left Brain). Left Brain is terrible when he raps but he makes real good beats and Hodgy is a good rapper he can go from mellow like he is on MellowHype songs to psychotic like he is when he's on songs with Tyler. I also like Frank Ocean... the R&B singer of the group, completely different from the rest of the guys.

Jasper is awful, Domo is just a drug rapper, and Taco seems pretty bad too. I haven't heard enough of Mike G to decide if I like him or not.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Not feeling it. Too much random yelling.  I understand they're young, but they're are some much better young rappers out there.  A guy I've been on lately is Dee-1.  His flow and lyrics are great.  My only issue with him is he doesn't swear but he uses other words instead like he used bullskit in a song, which just didn't sound right.  Check out this song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IGfv8zSgw

That was really good... I've got no problem with a guy not swearing... I'm pretty sure K'Naan doesn't swear and I really like him, and I used to like Chamillionaire back in the day and he didn't swear. Using words like bullskit is lame though. If you're not going to swear that's one thing. Masking swears is completely different and kind of lame.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
They definitely remind me of Onyx. I've fallen out of the rap game quite a bit the last couple of years so I'm not sure what's good and what's not anymore.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Any group that raps about raping women isn't a group that I want to listen to.

I guess I'll be the first to say it. I really can't stand this album. These new voices em is using are killing the songs. The beats are pretty good but most of the credit for that goes to dre. Bagpipes from Baghdad's beat is sick but the voice and subject kill the song. I'll stick to just listening to his old stuff. I can't believe people are comparing this to his old stuff. All I can hear is namedropping and annoying voices. Sorry everyone.

I don't like the stupid voices, either.  They were a disappointment; I had hoped he'd gotten those out of his system on the last album.  However, this album seems a lot more "true" than Encore.  For instance, even though "Deja Vu" isn't a typical rap song, it's very much an Eminem song.  I just got the album and have only listened to it once through, but overall, I think it's a huge improvement over Encore (but not as good as The Marshall Mathers LP or The Eminem Show.)

Not trying to call you out or anything, Roy... I just happened to be going through the music threads and came across this post which reminded me of what you said about Odd Future. I was just wondering what the difference is exactly?

Earl Sweatshirt of Odd Future is often compared to Eminem and Nas.

Eminem has referenced drugs, murdering Kim, murdering a young boy, raping young girls, being a rape victim, etc.... mostly on The Marshall Mathers LP, The Slim Shady LP, and Relapse.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
They definitely remind me of Onyx. I've fallen out of the rap game quite a bit the last couple of years so I'm not sure what's good and what's not anymore.
Just like Onyx.  And although they had a couple catchy choruses, I always thought Onyx were pretty lame.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I also like Frank Ocean... the R&B singer of the group, completely different from the rest of the guys.

Just downloaded his mixtape. Very smooth. And you're right, totally different from the rest of the group. I heard that he's working with Beyonce right now so the guy's legit it seems.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:18:50 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
EDIT:

I've completely flipped on my feelings towards these kids. Absolute ignorant trash.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:37:33 PM by xmuscularghandix »