Author Topic: ITunes Question  (Read 2156 times)

ITunes Question
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I've had to revamp my Itunes library recently after it switched libraries on me somehow, and I couldn't retrieve the old one (which was a bummer because it had a couple years worth of listening preference and history in it).  The weird thing is, the one I retrieved goes back to 2006, so I found some missing treasures!  Weird. 

But that's not my question. 

It seems in the process all of the songs became "unchecked" and will not show up in shuffles, playlists etc...I have over 40,000 songs on my ITunes, so I can't really go through and check them all individually, but I can't figure out how to select and check them all.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Redz
Yup

Re: ITunes Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
According to the interwebs:

To check all boxes on a PC with one click, hold down the Control (ctrl) key and click on one of the checkboxes with the mouse.

To check all boxes on a Mac with one click, hold down the Command (cmd) key and click on one of the checkboxes with the mouse.

A couple different places suggested that, so give it a go.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Yup

That did it.

Funny, when other people ask help question on here I think to look elsewhere on the internet, but when it comes to my own stuff I ask here.  There's a personality type for that sort of thing I'm pretty sure.

Now the trick is not locking up my old beast of a computer while it processes checking off all those songs.

Yup

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
OK, next...anyone have any hints on how to remove duplicates easily?  I have several thousand of them!  Long process getting my library back to its happy place.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
OK, next...anyone have any hints on how to remove duplicates easily?  I have several thousand of them!  Long process getting my library back to its happy place.

Do you have the latest ITunes?  If so, just look under the File menu, and there's a choice for "detect duplicates".  Keep in mind, though, that these could be the same song and artist, but be on different albums (i.e., a greatest hits and the original album.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
OK, next...anyone have any hints on how to remove duplicates easily?  I have several thousand of them!  Long process getting my library back to its happy place.

Do you have the latest ITunes?  If so, just look under the File menu, and there's a choice for "detect duplicates".  Keep in mind, though, that these could be the same song and artist, but be on different albums (i.e., a greatest hits and the original album.)

Yeh, I've got that.  But I still have to sift through them all.

Then there's all the live versions...plus the the hard drive I copied from  friend last summer that had every Billboard Top 100 song for a 50 year span. That created a lot of dupes, but I need do I keep the album version or the Billboard one or both!  (what if I want to play the whole album).

Oy...I need vacation to be over so I can get back to real life decisions!
Yup