Author Topic: Was anyone else surprised by the half-time show in the Allstar game?  (Read 14801 times)

Re: Was anyone else surprised by the half-time show in the Allstar game?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Seemed like a regular concert show to me...nothing different. I liked it.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Yeah the crotch grabbing definitley caught my eye. I watched it with my gf and buddy and we were all like "whoooaaa whoa" kinda laughing about it. It wasn't that big a deal but kinda funny for such a main event and family friendly thing. If that happened during the superbowl, or during the Grammy's (did she do that during grammy's) i would have thought the same thing.

Although the Celts dancers dance sexually sometimes I don't think they are that provocative and I also think being on a major network, such a publicly watched event etc. that it is somewhat different. You don't even see the Celts dancers do that stuff unless you are at the game. It's not like there are close ups of them doing stuff like that on CSN

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
It was definitely a little sex'd up, but I don't think this is new grounds and the NBA All Star Game is pretty relaxed about it. Last year was Shakira and some other female vocalist, and I thought they were just as sexually suggestive and probably an 1/8th as entertaining. I thought she was fantastic - way better than the Black Eyed Peas and even better than anybody at the Grammy's not named Mick Jagger.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I've never found Rhianna attractive or sexy.. until that halftime show.  My gosh she was hot, and I liked the way she danced much more than the flying everywhere + dry humping moves that the cheerleaders do.

As RoyHobbs said, its the culture, and 12 year old girls do worse moves in dance class.  However, if you go back through history, this isn't something new.  Belly Dancing was taught to young ladies for a variety of purposes. 

Personally I liked Rhianna's halftime show.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
I've never found Rhianna attractive or sexy.. until that halftime show.  My gosh she was hot, and I liked the way she danced much more than the flying everywhere + dry humping moves that the cheerleaders do.

As RoyHobbs said, its the culture, and 12 year old girls do worse moves in dance class.  However, if you go back through history, this isn't something new.  Belly Dancing was taught to young ladies for a variety of purposes. 

I think most people's points about the dance being crude was that it was at the All-Star halftime show which is supposed to represent the entire NBA on one of the biggest stages.

I think it's different than cheerleaders or belly dancing or someones dance class. I'm sure Rhianna and other performers do a lot more suggestive stuff during their concerts but that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about the face of the NBA and Rhianna rubbing her crotch over it.

I personally didn't care and enjoyed the show. I'm not surprised that people brought this up though as it was bit raunchy for a halftime show of the NBA all-star game

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
The NBA pays these female artists to perform...I don't think they are particularly worried about making it a "family friendly" show. What else do you expect?

...and parents who are really worried about their kids watching it should know better. I thought Janet Jackson's superbowl halftime stunt would have served as a good lesson for these worried parents.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
The NBA pays these female artists to perform...I don't think they are particularly worried about making it a "family friendly" show. What else do you expect?

...and parents who are really worried about their kids watching it should know better. I thought Janet Jackson's superbowl halftime stunt would have served as a good lesson for these worried parents.

I don't know if I saw Rhiannas boob pop out last night I think I would have been surprised still

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've never found Rhianna attractive or sexy.. until that halftime show.  My gosh she was hot, and I liked the way she danced much more than the flying everywhere + dry humping moves that the cheerleaders do.

As RoyHobbs said, its the culture, and 12 year old girls do worse moves in dance class.  However, if you go back through history, this isn't something new.  Belly Dancing was taught to young ladies for a variety of purposes.  

I think most people's points about the dance being crude was that it was at the All-Star halftime show which is supposed to represent the entire NBA on one of the biggest stages.

I think it's different than cheerleaders or belly dancing or someones dance class.

Yeah, but the NBA markets those dance teams, including running a contest for which team had the hottest dance team.  Check out some of these photos (Link), and tell me there's a functional equivalent between Rhianna's dancing, and the team dancers that the NBA promotes.  

I just don't see much of a difference between what happened at this halftime show, and the stuff that's happening during every timeout at the vast majority of the arenas in the NBA.  I understand if people find it objectionable, but I'm confused by people who think that the all-star show was different or new in some way in terms of sexualization of the game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Just remembered this - Didn't Beyonce do it like 3 years ago and Kenny & Charles spent halftime talking about how good she looked? I think its been all female performers since.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
It just shows that basketball is still mostly aimed at a male audience and we gals just have to have thicker skins...at least until we FINALLY TAKE OVER!    8)
I've long ago come to the realization that as a very fanatical Celtics fan that I am operating in a man's world and just ignore the sexist stuff.  My skin has become very thick :) 

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I've never found Rhianna attractive or sexy.. until that halftime show.  My gosh she was hot, and I liked the way she danced much more than the flying everywhere + dry humping moves that the cheerleaders do.

As RoyHobbs said, its the culture, and 12 year old girls do worse moves in dance class.  However, if you go back through history, this isn't something new.  Belly Dancing was taught to young ladies for a variety of purposes.  

I think it's different than cheerleaders or belly dancing or someones dance class.

Yeah, but the NBA markets those dance teams, including running a contest for which team had the hottest dance team.  Check out some of these photos (Link), and tell me there's a functional equivalent between Rhianna's dancing, and the team dancers that the NBA promotes.  

I just don't see much of a difference between what happened at this halftime show, and the stuff that's happening during every timeout at the vast majority of the arenas in the NBA.  I understand if people find it objectionable, but I'm confused by people who think that the all-star show was different or new in some way in terms of sexualization of the game.
Not a hand on a crotch in any of those pics.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Yeah, but the NBA markets those dance teams, including running a contest for which team had the hottest dance team.  Check out some of these photos (Link), and tell me there's a functional equivalent between Rhianna's dancing, and the team dancers that the NBA promotes. 

I just don't see much of a difference between what happened at this halftime show, and the stuff that's happening during every timeout at the vast majority of the arenas in the NBA.  I understand if people find it objectionable, but I'm confused by people who think that the all-star show was different or new in some way in terms of sexualization of the game.
Not a hand on a crotch in any of those pics.

Why are you so fixated on "hand on the crotch" thing? That's not the only only "move" that makes a show/performance/routine sexual.

Anyway, I'm surprised at all this debate. It was a nice performance...and I liked it. Rihanna rocks! ;) :P

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I think it's different than cheerleaders or belly dancing or someones dance class. I'm sure Rhianna and other performers do a lot more suggestive stuff during their concerts but that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about the face of the NBA and Rhianna rubbing her crotch over it.

I personally didn't care and enjoyed the show. I'm not surprised that people brought this up though as it was bit raunchy for a halftime show of the NBA all-star game
How many kids really watch the NBA All Star game or even the NBA in general?  And how many of those kids aren't old enough to see more sex than that every other way they look?

The NBA represents mostly young men and speaking as one that halftime was in no way explicit.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 04:21:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I watched the halftime show just now on youtube..and while I really disliked Lenny K during the intros..I disliked Rhianna way more. Apparently, a lot of people liked it..I did not.

But, you want to talk about her sex appeal or the scandalous nature of her songs, I think its legit. While Umberalla isn't a scandalous song (its just annoying..eh..eh..eh...annoying..eh..eh..eh), Rude Boy, only girl in the world, what's my name..all had pretty obvious sexual undertones in the performance and in the lyrics.

I'm not sure its worth causing a fuss about, but it ought to bear mentioning. Of course, Janet Jackson's superbowl slip wasn't exactly family friendly either.. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

I guess my point is that the all-star game is for the extreme casual NBA fan. I consider myself a huge NBA fan and I've never seen this (Link) before. I guess if I had I wouldn't be as surprised about the show. I still don't think the in game dancers do anything that bad but taking particular pictures of them in certain poses and plastering them on NBA.com is pretty odd.