Author Topic: Was anyone else surprised by the half-time show in the Allstar game?  (Read 14800 times)

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
She exuded sex and had a beautiful voice, and I'm all for having sexy ladies and rap at an nba game show, but I felt it was a little over the top with the crotch holding and the grinding.

Isn't All Star a family type game? Or have I missed something?
Maybe I'm old fashioned but it was disturbing to me. I wouldn't mind the crotch holding so much if it was just once or twice, but it was constant.

Re: Was anyone else surprised by the half-time show in the Allstar game?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Funny you say that.  My wife and I thought the same thing as she was dancing.  At first, I was surprised she was dancing at all since I never thought she was a great dancer.  Then, all of a sudden, she kept doing moves that I thought were a bit over-the-top for a supposed family show on TNT.  If it were on MTV, I would have been fine with it though.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Welcome to 2011.

The stripper moves were tasteless to say the least...

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Seriously?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honestly, I thought it was a lot less sexualized than the majority of acts you see from team dancers (including the Celtics dancers).  Sadly, it was tamer than some of the routines the pre-teen dancers "Lil Phunk" were performing at Celtics games a couple of years ago.

It's today's culture.  Compared to a lot of the things we see on a daily basis, Rhianna's show seemed toned down.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
If it was on MTV, it would be fine with me too, but just not at a family event.

The Superbowl show was not the best, but they also didn't have this type of dancing, so I don't think it's the norm for 2011 sports events - at least I hope not!!!!

I do think the allstar show should be representative of what the nba players enjoy and like and usually I love to watch dancing, but the (almost)live sex on the stage was over the top, even for this generation. Once the other dancers came onto the stage, it seemed much better, but when she was out there alone doing that, it just really looked sleazy (To Me-not trying to offend anyone).

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
Honestly, I thought it was a lot less sexualized than the majority of acts you see from team dancers (including the Celtics dancers).  Sadly, it was tamer than some of the routines the pre-teen dancers "Lil Phunk" were performing at Celtics games a couple of years ago.

It's today's culture.  Compared to a lot of the things we see on a daily basis, Rhianna's show seemed toned down.

Hmmm - I haven't noticed any of the Celtics' dance team spreading their legs and rotating their hips while holding their crotch...

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Hmmm - I haven't noticed any of the Celtics' dance team spreading their legs and rotating their hips while holding their crotch...

that part of the act is only available for club seat members.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Honestly, I thought it was a lot less sexualized than the majority of acts you see from team dancers (including the Celtics dancers).  Sadly, it was tamer than some of the routines the pre-teen dancers "Lil Phunk" were performing at Celtics games a couple of years ago.

It's today's culture.  Compared to a lot of the things we see on a daily basis, Rhianna's show seemed toned down.

I guess you haven't watched too many of their acts, then.  Like the one where they all dressed up as schoolgirls in short skirts and bared their midriffs.  Not exactly "family entertainment".  The outfits they wear, the gyrating hips and pelvic thrusts, the spread legs, their bending down at the waist to show off their butts, etc., etc. -- it's all very sexualized, and is aimed at a male (rather than a family) audience.  Welcome to 2011, where sex continues to sell.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:06 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
Honestly, I thought it was a lot less sexualized than the majority of acts you see from team dancers (including the Celtics dancers).  Sadly, it was tamer than some of the routines the pre-teen dancers "Lil Phunk" were performing at Celtics games a couple of years ago.

It's today's culture.  Compared to a lot of the things we see on a daily basis, Rhianna's show seemed toned down.

I guess you haven't watched too many of their acts, then.  Like the one where they all dressed up as schoolgirls in short skirts and bared their midriffs.  Not exactly "family entertainment".  The outfits they wear, the gyrating hips and pelvic thrusts, the spread legs, their bending down at the waist to show off their butts, etc., etc. -- it's all very sexualized, and is aimed at a male (rather than a family) audience.  Welcome to 2011, where sex continues to sell.
From your answer, apparently I was right - since the moves you mention (although obviously sexualized and aimed at males) don't include Rhianna's hand over crotch "dance" moves.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It just shows that basketball is still mostly aimed at a male audience and we gals just have to have thicker skins...at least until we FINALLY TAKE OVER!    8)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

From your answer, apparently I was right - since the moves you mention (although obviously sexualized and aimed at males) don't include Rhianna's hand over crotch "dance" moves.

I guess I don't see a huge difference, but I have no idea if the Celtics Dancers have literally mimicked Rhianna's exact dance moves.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
man, makes me feel old that i don’t really know who does guys are...I mean I heard of Rihana and Gaga, but don’t even know one song they sing.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I guess I don't see a huge difference, but I have no idea if the Celtics Dancers have literally mimicked Rhianna's exact dance moves.

I'm with Roy on this one. The Celtics dance team and "Lil Phunk" perform sexually intriguing moves all the time. And the All Star game on TNT is supposed to be a family event? Well isn't every NBA game considered a family event? So how is Rhianna "crotch grab" more absurd then say; Josh Smith's crotch grab after a game winning shot? Or KG dropping F bombs every third word? Or a KG crotch tap? Or teams getting in fist fights?

Or even more so how is it worse than "family TNT" airing movies like Saving Private Ryan, Air Force One, A Time To Kill, and Troy (all violent movies with scenes of sexuality) all in the same weekend multiple times.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145