Author Topic: Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?  (Read 20615 times)

Re: Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
So here's a better question: Who should be in the Hall of Fame Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady?

Both provided they buy their tickets. Not sure who'll foot that bill.

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So here's a better question: Who should be in the Hall of Fame Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady?
McGrady was on track to be a HoF player until his back issues robbed him of a lot of his athleticism. After that he was still a good player, but not a great one. Then his body completely came apart his last few years in Houston.

I don't think Tracy will make it, nor should he.

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
There's no rational explanation for who does and doesn't get into the HOF.  I mean, before KG and Ray came to town, Vince Carter probably had a much better chance of getting into the Hall than Pierce, even though they're statistically not at all that far apart.  But now that Pierce has a ring and has shown himself to be light years better defensively than VC, he's a sure thing and probably makes Vince look even worse in the eyes of HOF voters.

Mike

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
There's no rational explanation for who does and doesn't get into the HOF.  I mean, before KG and Ray came to town, Vince Carter probably had a much better chance of getting into the Hall than Pierce, even though they're statistically not at all that far apart.  But now that Pierce has a ring and has shown himself to be light years better defensively than VC, he's a sure thing and probably makes Vince look even worse in the eyes of HOF voters.

Mike
Well Pierce taking him on in the ECF and depantsing him also didn't help Vince. Especially since the Magic dumped him not long after.

Vince played well in game 1, but after that he was bad. Esepcially with the conspicious free throw bricks in game 2 with about 30 seconds left.

Such recent memories will fade however, and he'll get in eventually.

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
in response to the original question: no
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Neither. 

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think VC gets in; he was a true superstar in the league for a good 8-10 year stretch where he was easily a top 10-15 player.  Reggie was simply never in that class, period.  I still think he has a shot for being the face of the franchise of the Pacers for all those years.  But when you compare him to the other top players of his generation he simply doesn't measure up.  

VC never made an all-nba first team.  Second team once.  Third team once.  If he was "easily" a top 10-15 player in the league for 8-10 years, he would have made the 2nd or 3rd team more than a combined 2 times.  I'd say 4-5 seasons would be giving him a considerable benefit of the doubt but could be possibly argued.  8-10 seasons is simply ridiculous.

Again, even if you give him 4-5 seasons, combine that with his longevity and versatility, I think that's enough to put him in.

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think VC gets in; he was a true superstar in the league for a good 8-10 year stretch where he was easily a top 10-15 player.  Reggie was simply never in that class, period.  I still think he has a shot for being the face of the franchise of the Pacers for all those years.  But when you compare him to the other top players of his generation he simply doesn't measure up.  

VC never made an all-nba first team.  Second team once.  Third team once.  If he was "easily" a top 10-15 player in the league for 8-10 years, he would have made the 2nd or 3rd team more than a combined 2 times.  I'd say 4-5 seasons would be giving him a considerable benefit of the doubt but could be possibly argued.  8-10 seasons is simply ridiculous.

Again, even if you give him 4-5 seasons, combine that with his longevity and versatility, I think that's enough to put him in.

If it took Dennis Johnson, with 3 rings and a Finals MVP trophy to his credit, 20 freakin' years to finally get into the HOF, how long should VC have to wait to get in based only on being a top 10-15 player in the league for 4 or 5 seasons?

Mike

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Carter had 4-5 good years but do they equal that of say David Thompson? I mean Thompson has an ABA ROY, 2 first team all NBAs, 4 asgs. I say Carter doesn't measure up.

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
I really didnt think reggie was gonna get in at all until they recently had the voting and people seemed to be angry that he didnt get in, kinda surprised me, but shows what i know cus apparently he's gettin in some day. So i really cant say with vince. The numbers are there, the will and the intangibles are not.

That got me thinking of this-most people will automatically say yes to this out of homerism-but would Paul Pierce go into the hall of fame if somehow his career had ended right after the 06-07 season?

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

If it took Dennis Johnson, with 3 rings and a Finals MVP trophy to his credit, 20 freakin' years to finally get into the HOF, how long should VC have to wait to get in based only on being a top 10-15 player in the league for 4 or 5 seasons?

Mike

Because rings are team achievements and not individual? DJ was never a top-15 player in his career - but he didn't have to be to get in the HOF.

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike

Because rings are team achievements and not individual? DJ was never a top-15 player in his career - but he didn't have to be to get in the HOF.

Someone who was first team all nba was never a top 15 player? Haha.

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:21 AM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132

Mike

According to what you just read, he was never first team all nba

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2011, 04:22:16 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
I think BballTim was referring to Dennis Johnson, who made the All NBA First Team once and 2nd team once (while also winning 3 rings, a finals mvp, and making the all defensive 1st team 6 times).

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

Mike

Yikes, complete brain fart on my end there. Yeah, he definitely was, I was wrong. Apologies all around.