Author Topic: Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?  (Read 20616 times)

Re: Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I don't put a lot of stock in all-star games, when a lot of Vince's were "earned" because he can dunk.

The big difference:  Reggie played 144 playoff games, and Vince has played in 56.  Reggie led his team to overachieve, and Vince's career has been a major disappointment.
Agreed

You play to win the game
Thanks Herm Edwards!

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
If there were a category for most athletic basketball player, VC would be right up there with Jordan. But, even with one of the best PG in NBA history (Kidd), one of the best C in NBA history (Howard), he could never elevate his game enough to do more than lose in the finals and win a dunk contest. He used to be a great scorer--so I guess if Dominique Wilkins got in, he's got a good a chance as someone like Reggie Miller. The best thing he ever did was dunk over a 7 footer, literally, in the either the World Championships or Olympics.

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't put a lot of stock in all-star games, when a lot of Vince's were "earned" because he can dunk.

The big difference:  Reggie played 144 playoff games, and Vince has played in 56.  Reggie led his team to overachieve, and Vince's career has been a major disappointment.
Agreed

You play to win the game

Isn't basketball a team game? Who's more hall worthy, Kerr or Malone?

Not specifically advocating Vince (i don't think he should get in, but i don't think Miller should either), but lots of great players never get the teams to get it done. Titles are overrated as signifiers of individual player ability.

Karl Malone was a leader on a team that appeared in 193 playoff games, and reached the Finals twice.  I think it's fair to say that he did his part, even if he couldn't get over the final hurdle due to MJ and Pippen.

I think Malone is 100% hall worthy. I think Kerr is 100% not. It's a thought exercise to demonstrate that the "play to win the game" mentality is mostly irrelevant to determining who is a top, elite, iconic player of a generation. I think 99.9% of the time (as is the case here) the "winner" label gets used to argue for and reinforce a predetermined viewpoint that is in actuality based on personality clashes. I guess Reggie was "clutch" and did it the "right way," while Kidd is someone who "makes his teammates better," and Carter is a "Primadonna" who "wasted his potential." Yet all have exactly the same amount of post season hardware, and all did exactly what you would want out of a player on paper (i.e. for Carter "hey, do you want a shooting guard for 15 years who shoots .375 from deep, .798 from the line, and will give you better than 22/5/4 with 2.2 turnovers?"). Given different circumstances (i.e. teaming up with Shaq or Duncan like Kobe and Manu/Parker got to, or getting to team up with KG + Pierce like Ray did, etc.) any one of those guys would have hit the playoffs more and won a title. I think the Hall of Fame should be how each player stands on their own merits, not the faults of their teammates or GMs. It should be about Who, from that generation, needs to be remembered because they would have been one of the top picked guys year in year out if the league was re-drafted? I think on that criteria, separated from the effects of their teams, Carter and Miller are nearly exactly the same, and, frankly, both fall short to me. I have Ray as more deserving than both, and I think Ray is the quintessential borderline Hall of Famer, less than that is outright NO.

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Also, Roy, Vince has a better career playoff Win Shares/48 than Kidd. .137 to .119. Are Kidd's stats moreso "emptier" than Reggie?

Win shares favor scoring, don't they?
They also distribute defense among everyone on the court at the time.

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The more I think about this the more this question resembles

"Who's the best general that never won a war?" or "Who's the best 1 term president"?

Let me think.

No wait. Let me throw up.

Ok I feel a little better now.

I guess I'll go with Rommel and Andrew Johnson.   Don't even go there with that weak azz Robert E Lee stuff or try to give me JFK on a technicality.

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Vince also tanked on his team to force his way out. That's not something you think of when you think "HoFer".

Absolutely true.

Hope the voters come to the same conclusion with Iverson. 

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

"Who's the best general that never won a war?" or "Who's the best 1 term president"?

Let me think.

I guess I'll go with Rommel and Andrew Johnson.   Don't even go there with that weak azz Robert E Lee stuff or try to give me JFK on a technicality.

Stonewall Jackson and James Polk, for the win.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Here's a very popular basketball website that many of you probably already know about: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

That is their custom rating for determining HOF probability, and here are the elements that make up the formula:

height (in inches)
last season indicator (1 if 1959-60 or before, 0 otherwise)
NBA points per game
NBA rebounds per game
NBA assists per game
NBA All-Star game selections
NBA championships won

VC is in HOF company and Reggie is surrounded by very good players, but certainly not HOF'ers.

I think VC gets in; he was a true superstar in the league for a good 8-10 year stretch where he was easily a top 10-15 player.  Reggie was simply never in that class, period.  I still think he has a shot for being the face of the franchise of the Pacers for all those years.  But when you compare him to the other top players of his generation he simply doesn't measure up. 

VC gets in for his individual (not team) performance on the court (where it should be earned).  Reggie would have to get in based more on reputation than on court play. 

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Let me think.

Stonewall Jackson and James Polk, for the win.

I'll go Taft. His post-president life included becoming a Supreme Court justice, not a bad consolation prize. For best Generals never to win, I'll go Washington. They never could beat those Globetrotters.

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Robert E Lee and James K Polk.

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think VC gets in; he was a true superstar in the league for a good 8-10 year stretch where he was easily a top 10-15 player.  Reggie was simply never in that class, period.  I still think he has a shot for being the face of the franchise of the Pacers for all those years.  But when you compare him to the other top players of his generation he simply doesn't measure up.  

VC never made an all-nba first team.  Second team once.  Third team once.  If he was "easily" a top 10-15 player in the league for 8-10 years, he would have made the 2nd or 3rd team more than a combined 2 times.  I'd say 4-5 seasons would be giving him a considerable benefit of the doubt but could be possibly argued.  8-10 seasons is simply ridiculous.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Robert E Lee and James K Polk.

They Might Be Giants would agree with you on Polk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGCuDDAPggw&feature=related

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

VC never made an all-nba first team.  Second team once.  Third team once.  If he was "easily" a top 10-15 player in the league for 8-10 years, he would have made the 2nd or 3rd team more than a combined 2 times.  I'd say 4-5 seasons would be giving him a considerable benefit of the doubt but could be possibly argued.  8-10 seasons is simply ridiculous.

Some interesting points here that lead to the point that there is a huge difference between being a superstar at basketball and a marketing superstar.

The "air canada" thing got him to be an all star more often than he deserved.

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »

Offline Arok325

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
So here's a better question: Who should be in the Hall of Fame Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady?