Author Topic: Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?  (Read 20622 times)

Re: Should Vince Carter be a HOF'er?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 06:15:49 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't think either of them should be, imho Reggie is one of if not the most overrated player in NBA history. All he really had going for him besides a few clutch shots in the playoffs that got his team nowhere was the 3 point record, and with that gone I see no reason for him to get in.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The Basketball Hall of Fame isn't just about NBA careers.

Put their college and international/Olympic accomplishments up for comparison.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I imagine he'll have a very hard time making it to the Hall.

If you think about DJ and several other players that have yet to enter the HOF, there's no way Vinsanity makes it all the way. But then again, you never know.

I think Miller was a far more deadly offensive weapon in his prime than what Carter was in his prime. Sometimes, Reggie carried the Pacers. Second-most treys all-time. I've seen VC carry a team but I've never seen VC carry a team like Miller, at least not when it really mattered.

Again, perception here. Vince Carter, in his best three year stretch from 1999 - 2002, averaged between 25- 28 points-per game. Reggie never averaged more than 25 points a game his whole career. Think about that. How can anyone claim that Reggie was more of an offensive threat than Vince?

I agree with your first post though that DJ had to wait. I think Vince will certainly have to wait and should. I'm just saying that he should get more consideration.

One more thing: Vince's career PER is 20.8, Reggie's is 18.4. A career 20+ PER is excellent.
Vince took more shots than Reggie, Reggie made them much more often however.

Reggie was never in an iso heavy system that let him jack up a ton of shots like Carter. PER inflates when it comes to scoring.

But PER isn't just about scoring. Vince also was a better rebounder and passer than Reggie.

Besides, my point is simply that Vince was better at pretty much everything on the court than Reggie and both haven't won a ring...and somehow one is considered a HOF lock by the general NBA and one is a long shot.

I just don't understand that.

As long as mr. David J. Stern is the Commish, there'll be plenty of things we don't understand. I guess we'll (have to) live with it.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Reggie and Carter should both eventually make the Hall of Fame.

Thats just the truth, dont have to agree but they will both get in sometime in the future.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I don't think either of them should be, imho Reggie is one of if not the most overrated player in NBA history. All he really had going for him besides a few clutch shots in the playoffs that got his team nowhere was the 3 point record, and with that gone I see no reason for him to get in.

Atleast you're consistent, so I can accept that.

Therein lies another problem - that the NBA doesn't have its HOF. What the heck?

Reggie and Carter should both eventually make the Hall of Fame.

Thats just the truth, dont have to agree but they will both get in sometime in the future.

Unfortunately, with the way Vince's career looks like is winding down and the way Reggie is remembered, I think only one gets in.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11

Those are relatively minor in the context of their entire careers though. Obviously the vast majority of professional basketball games played by both of them were in the NBA, and therefore their NBA careers should carry the most weight.

Reggie was a one dimensional player who put underwhelming stats, has an underwhelming NBA resume and never won a championship. The international teams he played on would have easily succeeded without him, and being on that 2002 FIBA team isn't helping anything. He had a solid four years at UCLA but overall I don't see how his career is HOF worthy.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
In Vince's defense, if Ainge had never assembled the Big Three, Pierce would probably be in the same boat as Vince Carter and many on this board would be insisting that Pierce should be a Hall of Famer. 

However, to go against Vince, many of his All Star nominations were from the fans, which aren't very legit. 

Ultimately, I'm not outraged about Reggie.  He wasn't as dominant as people make him out to be.  He was rather one-dimensional, even for a scorer.  And for someone who only scored, 18 PPG really isn't that impressive.  It's one thing if you're KG and finish with 18 PPG.  It's another thing when that's all you ever did. 

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I would say no.

Or at least, as long of a delay as Dennis Johnson's...

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, he should not be in the Hall of Fame.  High PER or no he hasn't won jack and vanished when games matter.  Maybe if they have a section of the Hall for Chokers or Vanishing Acts he can be in it with LeBron.  Another stat producing athletic machine that isn't a winner.  Vince is so over rated.  I always could dunk so dunkers never wowed me.  I guess for those who can't it looks great.  

But odds are Reggie and Vince will both make it, after all Dominique made it.  It took him a year but he made it.  LeBron will make it regardless on his ability all jokes aside.

I think the Hall is a joke.  After the way they treated DJ they will never get a penny from me or any respect.

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Therein lies another problem - that the NBA doesn't have its HOF. What the heck?

Stern has been very consistent in trying to promote basketball as a global game.  He'll never make a move toward a separate league-only HOF, and I doubt his successor will either.

Oh yeah, and just cause it's fun to watch, providing a slight boost to Vince's case in the current HOF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

EDIT:  Forgot about KG's minor role in the whole thing.  Nice.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:19:25 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
"Maybe if they have a section of the Hall for Chokers or Vanishing Acts he can be in it with LeBron."

I enjoyed this, TP for the chuckle!

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
People are bashing Millers, 18 PPG average. But I don't think you should punish him for his longevity. He was a 20+ PPG scorer with TS% higher than .600 for his peek, he just hung around and transitioned into a role player. His last four years at 36+ hurt his "averages".

Would you also advocate discounting Pierce/Ray's offensive abilities because as they've aged they've taken less shots?

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
No.  I don't think he'll get in. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
People are bashing Millers, 18 PPG average. But I don't think you should punish him for his longevity. He was a 20+ PPG scorer with TS% higher than .600 for his peek, he just hung around and transitioned into a role player. His last four years at 36+ hurt his "averages".

Would you also advocate discounting Pierce/Ray's offensive abilities because as they've aged they've taken less shots?

Well, Pierce and Allen are already going through that right now because of the fact that they're on such an elite team.  Ray's down to a little over 20 ppg if I recall correctly.  

My problem isn't the 18 ppg in itself, my problem is that it's essentially all he has.  

With Pierce, it's really no contest.  Pierce is a far better overall scorer, playmaker, rebounder, and defender than Reggie ever was.  

With Allen it's closer, but Ray's been to twice as many All Star games (none fan voted, so all legit) than Reggie and has a title.

So again, I like Reggie.  But the guy was a 1-dimensional scorer and only has a career 18 ppg average and no title.  That's a problem to me.  

He should get into the Hall and should've been on the ballot.  But I have no problem making him wait a few years.  

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Well, Pierce and Allen are already going through that right now because of the fact that they're on such an elite team.  Ray's down to a little over 20 ppg if I recall correctly.  

My problem isn't the 18 ppg in itself, my problem is that it's essentially all he has.  

With Pierce, it's really no contest.  Pierce is a far better overall scorer, playmaker, rebounder, and defender than Reggie ever was.  

With Allen it's closer, but Ray's been to twice as many All Star games (none fan voted, so all legit) than Reggie and has a title.

So again, I like Reggie.  But the guy was a 1-dimensional scorer and only has a career 18 ppg average and no title.  That's a problem to me.  

He should get into the Hall and should've been on the ballot.  But I have no problem making him wait a few years.  
http://bkref.com/tiny/2F93X

He had almost any many assists as Ray, was a more efficient scorer, got to the line more, and turned it over less.

What advantages Ray has in per game will fade as Ray keeps playing in his decline. If Reggie is one-dimensional and doesn't deserve to get in, neither does Ray. Look at per36 stats and advanced % stats, I don't think you can make the case Reggie is one-dimensional and Ray isn't.

The HoF is subjective, but I think you're pigeon holing Reggie as a Jamal Crawford one note player. He really wasn't.