Author Topic: The Recommend a Game Thread  (Read 16165 times)

The Recommend a Game Thread
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
With all the gamers on the board, I thought it'd be nice to have an all-purpose thread to recommend some games that might have slipped through the cracks. 

But I also just really wanted to recommend this game: NIER, an RPG that came out last year.

I've never been as impressed by such a low-profile game as I was by NIER.  First, a couple of down points that led to it generally being ignored in America:

- graphics look a little dated, especially in towns
- sidequests are often tedious (easy solution: don't do them.  They don't affect the storyline at all.  Do accept as many as you can though as the dialogue that accompanies them is often really good).
- the game throws you into a confusing situation and doesn't explain it fully for a long time.  The first couple hours of the main game also move a bit slowly before it picks up steam.

On the plus side:

- the soundtrack, voice work, and dialogue are maybe the best I've ever heard.  The banter and rapport between the characters is very well-done without being overwrought or annoying.  Even the loading screens help set the mood and develop the story.
- gameplay can be a little repetitive but is generally very fun; the game switches genres constantly along with lots of nods to classic games.
- It's the rare RPG where the main character isn't some whiny androgynous 16-year-old or a faceless mute.  Nier is an ugly-looking middle-aged man whose only motivation is to keep his daughter safe.  It's a great jumping-off point for the rest of the game.
- The story is maybe the most bittersweet I've ever seen.  The main ideas behind the story, and the truth about your situation aren't directly revealed for a long time, and in some cases not until completing a full playthrough.  Instead they slowly creep up on you over time through dialogue and plot events.
- When you beat the game, you can immediately begin a second playthrough, starting over halfway through the game with all levels, weapons, and items.  The second playthrough completely changes how you view the game, and the second ending is generally considered the true ending.  Just don't skip any cutscenes.
- How many games start the title screen by playing a clip of an angry woman cursing out a magic book?
- Nobody bought it so it's very cheap by now.

Anyway, Nier is a great, underrated game, and by far my favorite of the past year or two.  I don't generally gush about video games like this, but this was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a game, and almost no one's heard of it.  Well worth picking up.

Feel free to use this thread to post your own game recommendations too - I'm always looking for new options.

Re: The Recommend a Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Dead Space 2-get it.

Just as good as the first if not better.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For PS3 users, I recommend Demon's Souls.  It's an action-oriented that has the reputation of being remarkably hard (although I don't think it's so bad once you level up your character).

Also, for anybody who has either never played an RPG or who has lived under a rock, Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas are great games (although the latter is *very* buggy.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
For PS3 users, I recommend Demon's Souls.  It's an action-oriented that has the reputation of being remarkably hard (although I don't think it's so bad once you level up your character).

I've heard great things about Demon's Souls but I'm not buying a PS3 to play it.  Apparently the sequel will be on Xbox too, so I'm sure I'll check it out.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I've heard great things about Demon's Souls but I'm not buying a PS3 to play it.  Apparently the sequel will be on Xbox too, so I'm sure I'll check it out.

Yeah, the non-sequel sequel, Dark Souls.  It's by the same developer, with a similar look and them, but apparently isn't technically a "sequel".  I'm looking forward to it.

As for buying a PS3, Demon Souls isn't the *only* great exclusive on there.  There's God of War 3 (and the God of War Collection), the Uncharted games, the Resistance games (not as good as Gears of War), Killzone 2 & 3, etc.  Depending upon a gamer's free time and cash flow, both systems are well worth picking up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
As for buying a PS3, Demon Souls isn't the *only* great exclusive on there.  There's God of War 3 (and the God of War Collection), the Uncharted games, the Resistance games (not as good as Gears of War), Killzone 2 & 3, etc.  Depending upon a gamer's free time and cash flow, both systems are well worth picking up.

GOW and Uncharted series are reasons enough to buy the PS3. I love those games.

Edit: Uncharted III will be out sometime this year...can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHcM6aHPnE&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:03:02 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I can't let someone recommend a Fallout game without recommending Fallout 2 myself.  Older game but better than Fallout 3 in my opinion.  3 was good but I think switching developers hurt it a little because they took out some of the cornerstones that made the Fallout games so great.  Honestly a lot of the time i felt like i was playing Oblivion.

I've also got to mention the original Fallout.  Every bit as good as Fallout 2 minus some added features that make the game easier (like a "take all" button).  If you even remotely like RPGs they are both a must.  The post-apocalyptic storyline is mint, the characters/dialog/references are hilarious, and the combat strategy is genius.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
I can't let someone recommend a Fallout game without recommending Fallout 2 myself.  Older game but better than Fallout 3 in my opinion.  3 was good but I think switching developers hurt it a little because they took out some of the cornerstones that made the Fallout games so great.  Honestly a lot of the time i felt like i was playing Oblivion.

I've also got to mention the original Fallout.  Every bit as good as Fallout 2 minus some added features that make the game easier (like a "take all" button).  If you even remotely like RPGs they are both a must.  The post-apocalyptic storyline is mint, the characters/dialog/references are hilarious, and the combat strategy is genius.
Good picks.  Not to mention FO and FO2 are actually challenging games.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
www.leagueoflegends.com

-free
-competitive and ranked team-based gameplay
-tons and tons of content to unlock
-very fun but not really for casuals... a typical match can last 45 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Fotball Manager 2011. A must have for every soccer fan, but it's pretty addictive.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Dead Space 2-get it.

Just as good as the first if not better.

Just finished this the other night...DS1 is one of my favorite games, and DS2 was a worthy sequel.  It was a lot of fun, with some really nice setpieces and new enemies.  The new weapons are pretty cool too, although I pretty quickly defaulted back to just shredding everything with my upgraded Ripper.  Working on a second run to give the new stuff a fair shake.

But the plot wasn't very well done and the endgame felt tacked on.  And the overall story is approaching Resident Evil levels of incoherence.  I hope they put a little more effort into exposition next time, but otherwise a really fun, scary game.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Good picks.  Not to mention FO and FO2 are actually challenging games.
True that but what puts them in the running for the top games of all time in my mind is the literally UNLIMITED re-play value.  I'm not embarrassed to say I've probably played both of them 15-20 times through since they were released (99 and 01 IIRC).

If anyone's played them I recommend doing it again with this guy's walkthrough: http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html
He did one for each game and you'd be surprised at the ridiculous amount of hidden stuff there is, although Hobbs was correct, there's so much in the games that inevitably they're kinda buggy (patch fixes a lot but not as much as it should).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:34:16 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
scrabble is awesome
Yup

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Beyond Good and Evil HD: Downloaded this from Xbox Live Arcade.  It's an original Xbox game with a graphical makeover.  Pretty fun adventure/puzzle game with an interesting world and one of the better female protagonists I've seen in a game.  My only real issue is the camera kind of sucks at points. 

It's not very hard, has family-friendly content (no graphic violence) and only costs $10 to download; I'd recommend it for youngish kids or anyone who's looking for a shorter, fun game to play.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
Fallout 3

Aside from the fact that the original game itself has TONS of content and is extremely replayable, there is tons of DLC that makes the game that much better. I have played like 7-8 characters all the way through the game to max level and it's always a little bit different. Of course there are certain quests you're going to want to do every time but you can really customize your character in tons of different ways so it makes starting a new game a lot more fun.

Plants vs. Zombies and Peggle are really addictive, fun games.

Marvel v Capcom 3 - pm me w/gamertag if you wanna play online. I suck.
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.