Author Topic: Is it just me or is Rondos increasing aggression awesome?  (Read 7138 times)

Is it just me or is Rondos increasing aggression awesome?
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:10 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the last few games have brought back the old rondo as of late. Even in the loss to Dallas, i like the fact that took open line drives to the basket, looking to put up the floater or draw a foul on chandler or howard. He knew that howard didn't want to pick up a cheap foul and consistently took it to the middle knowing the magics weak front court bench situation.
Doc and the whole 'shoot 10 free throws every game' discussion has really helped him increase his confidence.
When he attacks the ring like he has been these past few games he is completely unstoppable because he forces the defenders to pick him or the teammate for the pass.

Fingers crossed that quise' is okay too, he was starting to play fantastic and the timing for this is just horrible for his career as a celtic.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Is it just me or is Rondos increasing aggression awesome?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:51:19 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Absolutely ... Rage is at his best when he's attacking the basket and being aggressive, and the Celts are at their best when he's doing so. I really believe that Rondo has become the most important player on this team, (followed closely by KG, then Paul), because when he's not on the floor, the energy is completely different, and not nearly as assertive or fluid. Agree about 'Quis as well ... he was really starting to come into his own and be a real force for this team ... what an incredible blow this injury is. (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Just you? A few of us have been BEGGING for him to be more aggressive over the last few weeks haha. His recent aggression has been a relief.

When he's aggressive he doesn't just score more points for himself, he creates more opportunities for the team. We all know Rondo is a willing and gifted enough passer to make the right play. So when Rondo hears "be aggressive" he's very unlikely to misinterpret that to mean "go out there and jack up a ton of shots"

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
It is awesome...
....and we'll need him to be just as (or more) aggressive when we play LA and Miami because of our depleted bench.

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I also like Rondo's increasing willingness to shoot the jumper -- which eventually will pull defenders closer to him allowing him to fake and blow by them.  Still doesn't hit it at a great %, but he's got to shoot it in order to get more comfortable shooting during games.  I bet he's shot more 15-footers this year than his previous years combined.

As for Quis, we all wish him well and appreciate his play this year.  I have to admit, though, that I don't want to see him back ever if that type of incidental contact can cause paralysis (even if temporary this time). That is plain scary.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Big 3 probably went up to him and told him they were tired and he needed to do more until after the all-star break.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm very happy with him going to the line more. I think Doc's hope is that Rondo will get more confident and consistent from the line. If Rondo gets comfortable at the line and get close to shooting atleast 70% from the line this team will be truly unstoppable. Then we won't have to worry about him shooting in the 20-30% range from the line and we stop driving the lanes like he did in the finals last year.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It would be nice if he would show that aggression by consistently fighting through picks, rather than lazily running over them, forcing other guys to help when it shouldn't be necessary. 

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It would be nice if he would show that aggression by consistently fighting through picks, rather than lazily running over them, forcing other guys to help when it shouldn't be necessary. 
I'm torn on this, because during a lot of games he gets killed on those picks. A lot of teams make it part of their strategy to set high and hard picks to try and wear him down. Especially given how infrequently illegal picks are called.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think he still needs to perfect when to attack and when to dish.

The only problem is, we have such efficient players around him while he is not (when he looks for his shot). He shoots a nice percentage overall, but that is like a center averaging 6 points a game on 63% shooting.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  How many players actually stay with their man by fighting through picks? I'm not  sure opposing point guards in the lane with Rondo behind them and no help is a good situation to be in.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
He shoots a nice percentage overall, but that is like a center averaging 6 points a game on 63% shooting.

That's something of an overstatement. How often would you expect that center to break 20 points?

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
 How many players actually stay with their man by fighting through picks? I'm not  sure opposing point guards in the lane with Rondo behind them and no help is a good situation to be in.

Whoevers gaurding Ray :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Whoevers gaurding Ray :P

Yeah, because basically there's no difference between trying to catch up with Ray, who's running away from the basket without the ball, and a pg dribbling towards the basket with the ball...

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:14:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

First team All-Defenders need to be better at getting through picks.  That's the problem.  Rondo is a heck of a defender when he wants to be, unfortunately, he only plays good man to man defense on rare occasions, and instead prefers to "roam", which does not always help the team.