Author Topic: Is it just me or is Rondos increasing aggression awesome?  (Read 7175 times)

Re: Is it just me or is Rondos increasing aggression awesome?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
 How many players actually stay with their man by fighting through picks? I'm not  sure opposing point guards in the lane with Rondo behind them and no help is a good situation to be in.

First team All-Defenders need to be better at getting through picks.  That's the problem. 

In other words you can't really expect any other pg in the league to do what you're criticizing Rondo for not doing.

Rondo is a heck of a defender when he wants to be, unfortunately, he only plays good man to man defense on rare occasions

This isn't really the case. On one hand, opposing pgs don't shoot that well against Rondo, don't get a lot of assists and turn the ball over a lot. Not to mention that players generally need a pick to get past him off the dribble.

and instead prefers to "roam", which does not always help the team. 

Funny, but when Rondo's man "roams" it (from what I hear) practically cripples our offense but when Rondo roams it hurts the team?

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sure its helps the offense alot. The problem is the increased contact. The more banging Rondo takes the more chance of a injury. His drives usually result in a hard foul with him down on the floor.

I question Doc on the timing of this challenge to get to the line more.

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
 How many players actually stay with their man by fighting through picks? I'm not  sure opposing point guards in the lane with Rondo behind them and no help is a good situation to be in.

First team All-Defenders need to be better at getting through picks.  That's the problem.  Rondo is a heck of a defender when he wants to be, unfortunately, he only plays good man to man defense on rare occasions, and instead prefers to "roam", which does not always help the team. 

I'd just like to point out that Rondo did as great job of fighting through picks today. Eddie House couldn't get any daylight at all with Rondo guarding him. This would be what's traditionally referred to as getting through picks. What you normally see is the opposing point guard going around a pick and heading directly into the lane. Even if Rondo did a better job of fighting through those picks there's no way that anyone's fast enough to get back in front of someone in the 2-3 steps it takes that player to get to the rim. Rondo's poke from behind is probably more effective than anything that any other pg would do in that position.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Eddie can't hold a candle to him athletically.  Did you see how far off he was guarding him.  Yes, they were giving Rondo the shot but it's also a real indicator that  Rondo could blow by him.

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's good, and we need it, especially since the Lakers, Heat, and even to some extent the Magic (Nelson is slow and more or less a short shooting guard) have poor point guard play.  Rondo needs to exploit that. 

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Right now, Nelson is proving how effective a PG who can drive to the rim can be against Fisher/Blake and the Fakers.  I hope Rondo is watching.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Right now, Nelson is proving how effective a PG who can drive to the rim can be against Fisher/Blake and the Fakers.  I hope Rondo is watching.

Thats how we beat the Fakers in the 2008 championship. Rondo has to get back to pententrating.

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yes, its totally awesome. He can play this way, yet, he slows things down so much and never does. So many times I find myself yelling at the tv, "Rondo! Blow by him!" or "Just go to the basket." To see him finally doing it is so relieving.

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »

Offline jsingh1699

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
its a lot easier for nelson to get to the rim when hes guarded by fisher/blake then it is for rondo when hes guarded by kobe. i found it interesting that when miami had their big lineup in (miller, wade, lbj), they didnt have lbj try guarding rondo

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Rondo's an amazing character. Very gifted. When needed he gets it through the net in various ways. Otherwise he sets up the Big 3. They owe him big time and was glad to see some come to his aid against Miami with some mild aggression. Thanks to KG for setting that brutal pick sending a message to Miami that we can play the same game.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo's an amazing character. Very gifted. When needed he gets it through the net in various ways. Otherwise he sets up the Big 3. They owe him big time and was glad to see some come to his aid against Miami with some mild aggression. Thanks to KG for setting that brutal pick sending a message to Miami that we can play the same game.

Also lots of fun listening to Van Gundy crying about the KG play because "that shouldn't even be a foul on Wade, he's just boxing out".