Author Topic: The History Channel  (Read 14502 times)

Re: The History Channel
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Get back on topic, now.  This thread is for discussion of the History Channel, not conspiracy theories.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
oh the irony. I cant even tell u what the other employees of the history channel think of the history channel without being 'off topic'. What would they know, anyway?

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What happened to the awesome documentaries of History Channel. While I love Pawn Stars and Swamp People, it's all reality TV.

I miss the documentaries about the World Wars, Banned from the Bible, the old Ancient Aliens and stuff like that.

Now that I realized it, maybe I should hunt for gators. Seems like their making a ton of money.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Are there any other history channels?  It seems like what always happens as these kind of flag ship stations move more towards reality TV to grab a larger audience, they move their more dry programming to deeper cable stations. Anyone know?

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Are there any other history channels?  It seems like what always happens as these kind of flag ship stations move more towards reality TV to grab a larger audience, they move their more dry programming to deeper cable stations. Anyone know?

they added a military history channel, some of the old content goes there. Some of the old content is repackaged in micro online programming, but most of it just sits in a ct warehouse.

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I stopped watching the History Channel several years ago when it seemed like every other show was devoted to the apocalypse.
I stopped watching History Channel when they started running a piece which presented the argument in "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" (that's the book from which Dan Brown "borrowed" heavily for the Da Vinci Code) as historical truth...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

There are actually about 6 spinoffs of the History Channel available (at least on FIOS in Massachusetts), but right now only the original channel is offered in HD.  So if I want to stick with the HD channels on my HDTV I'm stuck with all the reality shows that have nothing to do with history (I call it MTV syndrome, as I think they were the ones who pioneered stashing what made them big on extra channels).  Smithsonian HD occasionally offers decent history programming as well.

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
OMG.....I almost forgot to watch the Bible on TV!   I wonder what I missed.....I think a Celtic Harpoon beer is probably most appropriate here. Or maybe tequila or Jameson's whisky. Hmmm....It's not so good so far but Tebow endorsed it so it's gotta be excellent. I must just be missing something
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:50:50 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Bible was a bit disappointing. Now on to the Vikings. Not looking that great so far

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Didnt have huge hopes for Bible, but I was really pulling for Vikings. Gabriel Byrne, just can't lose.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
What happened to the awesome documentaries of History Channel. While I love Pawn Stars and Swamp People, it's all reality TV.

I miss the documentaries about the World Wars, Banned from the Bible, the old Ancient Aliens and stuff like that.

Now that I realized it, maybe I should hunt for gators. Seems like their making a ton of money.

yep, I miss the goold ol' history channel when my friends and I called it the hitler channel, because of all the WW2 documentaries

now its more like the red neck channel. I don't like pawm stars and the other series they put on

though I'm looking forward to the Bible, and the Vikings. I kinda like the Bible so far...

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
wife and enjoyed the first 2 Vikings.  Haven't watched the third yet.  Pretty decent show and since they picked a Viking whose truths are almost all myth it makes it easier to claim historical accuracy and to just fill in whatever blanks with whatever they want.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Really enjoying the Vikings.  Pretty solid show overall.  The last episode was so tense and apparently the season finale is next week.  It is worth checking out if you are into that type of show as it is well done (of course that type of show is certainly not for everyone).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Greatest Tank Battles on the Military Channel is a really really really good show

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So today is the 100th anniversary of WW1. So what does the history channel show and H2?  Ice Road Truckers and Ancient Aliens.

I just can't follow this channel anymore. I'm done with them