Author Topic: The History Channel  (Read 14469 times)

The History Channel
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Love it but sometimes.....

It's like Modern Marvels.....roads......nope.  Not modern. Not a marvel. Nope

Also you'll be watching a show like "The Holy Grail in America" and some guy will say something like "So and so found 13,000 Templar and ancient Egyptian artifacts in Ohio" and I'm like "No. No. No they didn't. No. They didn't"

Re: The History Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
monty python an em found that grail thang

history channel is soooo inaccurate

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sometimes they'll say "Why could the Templars make all these things in America"

and I think "Ummm. To make a filler tv show for the History Channel made of bits and pieces of other shows?"

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Dear Brad Meltzer's Decoded, I'd like the hour of my life back I spent finding out that no one knows if John Wilkes Booth was actually killed after assasinating Lincoln

you go through all the evidence then basically say, we need DNA tests, but we can't get them, sorry

waste of time...

on the other end, Pawn Stars... <3
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sometimes they'll say "Why could the Templars make all these things in America"

and I think "Ummm. To make a filler tv show for the History Channel made of bits and pieces of other shows?"

I like those silly shows from time to time.  Like the show last night, about how there are all these aliens and spacemen reflected in the wall paintings of ancient civilizations.  Pretty ridiculous, but interesting, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
yeah

gate ways to hell...

i mean this stuff is really well thought out but..american pickers is that show...

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
American Pickers is awesome.  Those guys are way too excited going through junk.  Pawn Stars isn't bad either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Rant of the night: The History Channel doesn't show anything about history anymore. Ax Men, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Modern Marvels, Ice Road Truckers, American Restoration, Great Lakes Warriors, Counting Cars, Shark Wranglers, Top Gear, Food Tech, Gangland, Swamp People, Stan Lee's Superhumans, Sharp Shooters, Mountain Men, Mounted in Alaska......NO HISTORY! Did they think we wouldn't notice?

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:04 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
South Park, season 15, episode 13, A History Channel Thanksgiving. There's a whole episode making fun of those morons, all the South Park episodes are free online.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
"Did they think we wouldn't notice?"

I worked for History Channel and its parent company for 2 years.

Yes. It is a joint venture of 3 or 4 of the big media conglomerates.

Google Operation Mockingbird. It's all coordinated. The "liberal" and "conservative" conglomerates both serve to make the rich richer. Look at the media coverage surrounding the runnup to the Iraq War, including the History Channel.

They like us stoopid, fat, happy, and arrogant.

The more arrogant we are, the less likely we will be to question what we believe to be true. The less likely we are to question what we already "know" to be true, the more likely we are to dismiss posts like this as stoopid or "off topic".

We're trained to forget most history, misunderstand the rest, and to leave critical thinking up to the 6 media conglomerates that own most cable stations, movie studios, publishing houses, and radio stations.

Next up on History, "Butt Pickers: Reloaded"

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
"Did they think we wouldn't notice?"

I worked for History Channel and its parent company for 2 years.

Yes. It is a joint venture of 3 or 4 of the big media conglomerates.

Google Operation Mockingbird. It's all coordinated. The "liberal" and "conservative" conglomerates both serve to make the rich richer. Look at the media coverage surrounding the runnup to the Iraq War, including the History Channel.

They like us stoopid, fat, happy, and arrogant.

The more arrogant we are, the less likely we will be to question what we believe to be true. The less likely we are to question what we already "know" to be true, the more likely we are to dismiss posts like this as stoopid or "off topic".

We're trained to forget most history, misunderstand the rest, and to leave critical thinking up to the 6 media conglomerates that own most cable stations, movie studios, publishing houses, and radio stations.

Next up on History, "Butt Pickers: Reloaded"

That or they're a for-profit business and dumb reality shows get better ratings with low overhead.  But the massive multigenerational worldwide brainwashing conspiracy is probably more likely.  Occam's Razor and all.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
That or they're a for-profit business and dumb reality shows get better ratings with low overhead.  But the massive multigenerational worldwide brainwashing conspiracy is probably more likely.  Occam's Razor and all.

"The more arrogant we are, the less likely we will be to question what we believe to be true. The less likely we are to question what we already "know" to be true, the more likely we are to dismiss posts like this as stoopid or "off topic"."

Thanks for proving my point so fast. It never would have occurred to you to google Operation Mockingbird.

To find out you've been suckered would be a blow to your carefully over-inflated ego. Go and learn, then talk about Occam's Razor. Or follow the money. Making money from commercials is but one small slice of the pie.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:23:59 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I stopped watching the History Channel several years ago when it seemed like every other show was devoted to the apocalypse.

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 01:38:19 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

"The more arrogant we are, the less likely we will be to question what we believe to be true. The less likely we are to question what we already "know" to be true, the more likely we are to dismiss posts like this as stoopid or "off topic"."

Thanks for proving my point so fast. It never would have occurred to you to google Operation Mockingbird.

To find out you've been suckered would be a blow to your carefully over-inflated ego. Go and learn, then talk about Occam's Razor. Or follow the money. Making money from commercials is but one small slice of the pie.

I didn't need to Google Mockingbird, I heard of it a long time ago.  Used to visit conspiracy theory sites for laughs in college, and it's always fun to see the "greatest hits" pop up elsewhere.  I've heard of Alex Jones, too, which I'm guessing is where you heard of it.  Maybe it's just my giant ego but I have difficulty seeing a 60 year old anti-Communist propaganda initiative as the secret puppetmaster behind Pawn Stars. 

Anyway that's enough off-topic for me.  Keep fighting the good fight my friend.

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
keep looking for those iraqi wmd's, iranian nukes, and jfk's magic bullet. Oh wait, the magic bullet was found on a stretcher next to jfk at the hospital. That's some bullet. Thanks, history channel.

Gulf of tonkin? Whats that? History channel never told me? Uss liberty? Huh?  No way can 6 interconnected media companies keep a secret. That would mean they're smarter than me, and i won my fantasy football league last year.