Author Topic: The Weather Thread  (Read 25797 times)

Offline BballTim

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 943
Re: The Weather Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »
the hardest part about shoveling is that there is nowhere to put it!

I got a snow thrower the day after thanksgiving 2011. This was the first time I've had to put gas in it, and the snow was higher than the top of the "scoop" in the front. I thought that spending all that money on something I was never using was something of a good luck charm in terms of snow storms but my luck finally ran out.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: -29459
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
Crazy.  We have snow drifts that are four feet or higher, and then areas that are bare ground.  The combo of really lift, powdery snow and wind gusts that supposedly reached 75 mph have created a really interesting effect.  Shoveling the walkway in the front of my house was a breeze, while digging out are cars has been a pain.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
Also, ocean water rushed in in many places
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 147
  • Word aapp!
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
Ohhhhh Maine. Lovely place this time of year.

Offline BballTim

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 943
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
Crazy.  We have snow drifts that are four feet or higher, and then areas that are bare ground.  The combo of really lift, powdery snow and wind gusts that supposedly reached 75 mph have created a really interesting effect.  Shoveling the walkway in the front of my house was a breeze, while digging out are cars has been a pain.

I still remember the blizzard of 78 (I was living in the midwest at the time). Our block had an alley and at one end of the alley there was a garage on one side (on a small hill) and a house on the other. There was a snow drift between them, the height of the top of the garage roof. And, yes, the people living on our block had to shovel that out before their cars could get out to the street.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 2131
  • Yup
    • The Caped Cod
« Reply #275 on: February 10, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
Just braved the elements for the first to check on the chickens. There is a good solid two inch base level of solid packed ice/snow. Most areas around our house have 4-6 inches of snow on top of that but some spots have up to 3 feet of drift. The area by our barn is so solidly crusted on top that I can stand on it without breaking through. The early wet stuff in this storm is going to make for a difficult cleanup.
Well, Redz....how were the chickens? (I guess you got sidetracked,  ;) )
the chickens are just ducky (or chickeny as the case may be).  Though they won't go out in the snow, they've been laying like champs since we put a light on in their coop at night.

The thick layer if crusty snow/ice has indeed made for a difficult cleanup.  A healthy dose of Sun and 40° temps is helping break the thick stuff up nicely.

Most importantly the dish is all clear so there will be no threat of a missed C' s game.

All is well.

GOCELTS

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2177
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
It seems that people were more prepared for this storm than we were in '78.  I am happy to hear from those  who post that all is well. 

In '78 the Celtics game was postponed!  I have been wondering how the Nuggets are going to get from the airport to their hotel with the roads closed and the subways shut down.  I guess (hope) they will be very tired for the game tonight...and with winning streaks on the line for both teams, I hope the Celtics slept well.  Incidently, what was Paul Pierce doing playing in the snow in his pajamas?  I hope he wasn't shovelling... ;)  Don't want any sore, strained muscles today.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
I don't know what the level of recovery from Sandy has been, but I was wondering how members from the area hard hit by Sandy are doing now, and the repurcussions of NEMO on you. How are you doing?

My thoughts are with you all. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
Blizzard in New England today...Frost in Clearwater, FL tonight...no where to go, no where to hide.  I am wrapped in a blanket as I type (complete wimp, suffering 50 degree weather right now.)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
« Reply #279 on: February 17, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
Gotta say, politics is stupid, nobody ever brings up climate and weather (which is way more important than ANYTHING else)

When we think of 10,000 years ago, we ONLY think of the Ice Age.

Weather > Everything imo, and nobody ever brings it up. Politics is dumb.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
2 days of 80 degree weather in a row...went to the pool yesterday, but it rained this morning so no pool for me(lightning ya know).  I hope the cold snaps are over for this year.  Next to dancing, swimming and water exercises are my favorite forms of exercise.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
 :'( Spoke too soon...forecast 50's and 60's this weekend!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1869
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
2 days of 80 degree weather in a row...went to the pool yesterday, but it rained this morning so no pool for me(lightning ya know).  I hope the cold snaps are over for this year.  Next to dancing, swimming and water exercises are my favorite forms of exercise.
LOL...cold snaps in Florida!! Honestly, I have worn long pants all day long because it was cold out one day since moving here in July.

One day.

Cold is real a relative term.

I have been told it takes a couple years to "thin the blood out" so that when its 60 degrees here you feel cold, so I guess I have a ways to go. In the meantime, I love tasking the dogs for a walk at night in shorts and a tee shirt in 60 degree weather and seeing my neighbors doing the same in heavy hoodie sweatshirts with sweat pants or jeans.
DKC Brooklyn Nets
Pick 2 New Orleans Pelicans
PG: George Hill/Jameer Nelson
SG: Victor Oladipo/Mario Chalmers/Kobe Bryant
SF: Chandler Parsons/P.J. Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis/Brandon Bass/Mike Scott
C: DeAndre Jordan/Enes Kanter

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
LOL...cold snaps in Florida!! Honestly, I have worn long pants all day long because it was cold out one day since moving here in July.

One day.

I have been told it takes a couple years to "thin the blood out" so that when its 60 degrees here you feel cold, so I guess I have a ways to go. In the meantime, I love tasking the dogs for a walk at night in shorts and a tee shirt in 60 degree weather and seeing my neighbors doing the same in heavy hoodie sweatshirts with sweat pants or jeans.
When I first got down here (16 years ago) I used to splash around in the pool, laughing at the little old ladies walking by wearing knit hats and gloves....now I am one.  Well, not quite...but you no longer find me in the pool!   ;D  It takes a few years, but it will happen, Nick, so laugh while you still can.  ha ha ha ha ha  Pretty soon, when you go back to New England in the summer to escape the heat, you will be looking for a sweater  in June  up there, too!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1869
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »

One day.

When I first got down here (16 years ago) I used to splash around in the pool, laughing at the little old ladies walking by wearing knit hats and gloves....now I am one.  Well, not quite...but you no longer find me in the pool!   ;D  It takes a few years, but it will happen, Nick, so laugh while you still can.  ha ha ha ha ha  Pretty soon, when you go back to New England in the summer to escape the heat, you will be looking for a sweater  in June  up there, too!
Such wisdom!!! TP
DKC Brooklyn Nets
Pick 2 New Orleans Pelicans
PG: George Hill/Jameer Nelson
SG: Victor Oladipo/Mario Chalmers/Kobe Bryant
SF: Chandler Parsons/P.J. Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis/Brandon Bass/Mike Scott
C: DeAndre Jordan/Enes Kanter

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog